Обсуждение: WinXP Install - Account Password Information

WinXP Install - Account Password Information

От
Дата:
hi all,

during the 8.0.4 installation of pgsql, you are asked
for two passwords.

1. the account password
2. the db user password (as you know, postgres is the
db user name)

i understand the latter password and how to update it.

i don't understand the former password and i don't
understand how to change.  i googled it and i did a
quick search on postgresql.org, but came up empty.

can someone provide a quick overview of the account
password mechanics and explain how to update that
password to something new.

tia...

to help future googlers find this theead -  pgsql
postgresql change account password.

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: WinXP Install - Account Password Information

От
Дата:
the first one is the password for the pgsql service account - you can change
it through the windows user manager, but don't forget to also change the
service identity in the service manager console once you do so.

cheers,
thomas

> during the 8.0.4 installation of pgsql, you are asked
> for two passwords.
>
> 1. the account password
> 2. the db user password (as you know, postgres is the
> db user name)
>
> i understand the latter password and how to update it.
>
> i don't understand the former password and i don't
> understand how to change.  i googled it and i did a
> quick search on postgresql.org, but came up empty.
>
> can someone provide a quick overview of the account
> password mechanics and explain how to update that
> password to something new.
>
> tia...
>
> to help future googlers find this theead -  pgsql
> postgresql change account password.
>

> __________________________________
> http://mail.yahoo.com

>       match

Re: WinXP Install - Account Password Information

От
Дата:
-- me@alternize.com wrote:

> the first one is the password for the pgsql service
> account - you can change
> it through the windows user manager, but don't
> forget to also change the
> service identity in the service manager console once
> you do so.
>
> cheers,
> thomas

thanks for the information.  i'm using winxp home and
i have no clue how to get to the windows service
manager.  i went to start -> control panel -> User
Accounts, but only saw the normal account like owner
and guest.  i didn't see anything related to pgsql.

i went to administrative tools, but nothing indicated
it related to users.

is windows service manager on winxp pro only?  can
this be managed on winxp home?

tia...

tia...

since i can't find windows service manager, i can't
change the password.

__________________________________
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: WinXP Install - Account Password Information

От
Дата:
its in the administrative tools -> computer management -> users

cheers,
thomas

>> the first one is the password for the pgsql service
>> account - you can change
>> it through the windows user manager, but don't
>> forget to also change the
>> service identity in the service manager console once
>> you do so.
>>
>> cheers,
>> thomas
>
> thanks for the information.  i'm using winxp home and
> i have no clue how to get to the windows service
> manager.  i went to start -> control panel -> User
> Accounts, but only saw the normal account like owner
> and guest.  i didn't see anything related to pgsql.
>
> i went to administrative tools, but nothing indicated
> it related to users.
>
> is windows service manager on winxp pro only?  can
> this be managed on winxp home?
>
> tia...
>
> tia...
>
> since i can't find windows service manager, i can't
> change the password.

Re: WinXP Install - Account Password Information

От
Дата:
> its in the administrative tools -> computer
> management -> users
>
> cheers,
> thomas

thomas, believe it or not, i don't have a users option
in computer management.

i do have system tools, storage and services and
applications.

again, winxp home.

__________________________________
http://farechase.yahoo.com

Re: WinXP Install - Account Password Information

От
Aly Dharshi
Дата:
Try Start->Run->MMC, this should help, you would have to load up the
users snap-in that will give you a view into a load of things including
the "hidden PG user"

operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:
> -- me@alternize.com wrote:
>

>>the first one is the password for the pgsql service
>>account - you can change
>>it through the windows user manager, but don't
>>forget to also change the
>>service identity in the service manager console once
>>you do so.
>>
>>cheers,
>>thomas
>

> thanks for the information.  i'm using winxp home and
> i have no clue how to get to the windows service
> manager.  i went to start -> control panel -> User
> Accounts, but only saw the normal account like owner
> and guest.  i didn't see anything related to pgsql.
>
> i went to administrative tools, but nothing indicated
> it related to users.
>
> is windows service manager on winxp pro only?  can
> this be managed on winxp home?
>
> tia...
>
> tia...
>
> since i can't find windows service manager, i can't
> change the password.

Aly Dharshi
aly.dharshi@telus.net

          "A good speech is like a good dress
           that's short enough to be interesting
           and long enough to cover the subject"

Re: WinXP Install - Account Password Information

От
Дата:
--- Aly Dharshi <aly.dharshi@telus.net> wrote:

> Try Start->Run->MMC, this should help,

this got me into console 1 with an empty console root.

> you would have to load up the users snap-in that
will
> give you a view into a load of things including the
>"hidden PG user"

unfortunately, i don't have the experience to know
what this means.

thanks for helping.

-------------------

> operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:
> > -- me@alternize.com wrote:
> >

> >>the first one is the password for the pgsql
> service
> >>account - you can change
> >>it through the windows user manager, but don't
> >>forget to also change the
> >>service identity in the service manager console
> once
> >>you do so.
> >>
> >>cheers,
> >>thomas
> >

> > thanks for the information.  i'm using winxp home
> and
> > i have no clue how to get to the windows service
> > manager.  i went to start -> control panel -> User
> > Accounts, but only saw the normal account like
> owner
> > and guest.  i didn't see anything related to
> pgsql.
> >
> > i went to administrative tools, but nothing
> indicated
> > it related to users.
> >
> > is windows service manager on winxp pro only?  can
> > this be managed on winxp home?
> >
> > tia...
> >
> > tia...
> >
> > since i can't find windows service manager, i
> can't
> > change the password.
> >

> > __________________________________
> > Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home
> page!
> > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

> cleanly
>
> --
> Aly Dharshi
> aly.dharshi@telus.net
>
>           "A good speech is like a good dress
>            that's short enough to be interesting
>            and long enough to cover the subject"

__________________________________
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: WinXP Install - Account Password Information

От
Aly Dharshi
Дата:
Ah soory about that, when you are in MMC, execute the following:

File->Add/Remove Snap-in->Standalone->Add-><pick your snap-in e.g Local
Users and Groups>->Add->Finish->close->Ok

You should now be able to manage the users and groups better, you should
see the postgres user. The postgres user is not visible directly for
myself even if I am Administrator on my XP Pro box, I don't see that
being terribly different on your Home edition box.

operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:
> --- Aly Dharshi <aly.dharshi@telus.net> wrote:
>

>>Try Start->Run->MMC, this should help,
>

> this got me into console 1 with an empty console root.
>

>>you would have to load up the users snap-in that
>
> will
>
>>give you a view into a load of things including the
>>"hidden PG user"
>

> unfortunately, i don't have the experience to know
> what this means.
>
> thanks for helping.
>

> -------------------
>
>>operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:

>>service

>>once

>>>thanks for the information.  i'm using winxp home
>>
>>and
>>
>>>i have no clue how to get to the windows service
>>>manager.  i went to start -> control panel -> User
>>>Accounts, but only saw the normal account like
>>
>>owner
>>
>>>and guest.  i didn't see anything related to
>>
>>pgsql.
>>
>>>i went to administrative tools, but nothing
>>
>>indicated
>>
>>>it related to users.
>>>
>>>is windows service manager on winxp pro only?  can
>>>this be managed on winxp home?
>>>
>>>tia...
>>>
>>>tia...
>>>
>>>since i can't find windows service manager, i
>>
>>can't
>>
>>>change the password.
>>>

>>>__________________________________
>>>Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home
>>
>>page!
>>
>>>http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
>>>
>>>---------------------------(end of
>>
>>broadcast)---------------------------
>>
>>>TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please
>>
>>send an appropriate
>>
>>>       subscribe-nomail command to
>>
>>majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>>
>>>       message can get through to the mailing list
>>
>>cleanly
>>
>>--
>>Aly Dharshi
>>aly.dharshi@telus.net
>>
>>          "A good speech is like a good dress
>>           that's short enough to be interesting
>>           and long enough to cover the subject"
>>

> __________________________________
> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Aly Dharshi
aly.dharshi@telus.net

          "A good speech is like a good dress
           that's short enough to be interesting
           and long enough to cover the subject"

Re: WinXP Install - Account Password Information

От
Afton & Ray Still
Sorry, This was supposed to go to the list
>> this got me into console 1 with an empty console root.
>>
>>> you would have to load up the users snap-in that
>> will
>>> give you a view into a load of things including the
>>>"hidden PG user"
>>
>> unfortunately, i don't have the experience to know
>> what this means.
>>
>> thanks for helping.
>>
> Hello,
> I've had the same problem and near as I can tell, the solution is that
> users can only be managed this way in XP Pro. (see these two previous
> threads)
>
> PostgreSQL installation problem on Windows XP Home
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2005-03/msg00044.php
> basic download and setup questions
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2004-12/msg00092.php
>
> If anybody finds a solution that works on XP Home, please post.
>

>> -------------------

>>> service
>>> once

>>> and
>>> owner
>>> pgsql.

>>> indicated

>>> can't

>>> page!

>>> cleanly
>>>
>>> --
>>> Aly Dharshi
>>> aly.dharshi@telus.net
>>>
>>>           "A good speech is like a good dress
>>>            that's short enough to be interesting
>>>            and long enough to cover the subject"
>>>

>> __________________________________
>> Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page!
>> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

>> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>>

>> --
>> 10/21/2005

Re: WinXP Install - Account Password Information

От
Дата:
> Sorry, This was supposed to go to the list

does this mean it is *impossible* to change the
service pw on winxp home?

__________________________________
http://farechase.yahoo.com

Re: WinXP Install - Account Password Information

> Sorry, This was supposed to go to the list

hi all,

i super googled and found out how to delete services
(postgres or postgresql service) in winxp home.

first of all, get the service name:

start -> control panel -> administrative tools ->
services -> find the service name (may or may not be
the display name).

once you know the service name, you can delete it by:

start -> run -> type in "regedit" -> navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
-> find the service name you want to delete, delete it
-> restart.

i verified the above with my cygwin based "postgres"
service and it worked like a charm.

a second way, as yet unverified by yours truly, is to
get the service name just as you did, above, then:

start -> run -> cmd -> type in "sc delete <service
name>", where "<service name>" is the name of your
service you want deleted -> restart.

i wasn't set up to see if this registry key also holds
the password to the postgresql database server or not.
 when i install 8.04, i will check the registry and
see if the password is also included in the key.

i hope this helps.

__________________________________
http://farechase.yahoo.com

Re: WinXP Install - Account Password Information

От
Afton & Ray Still
>> Sorry, This was supposed to go to the list

I just came across a way to change the password on this type of account on
XP Home. It's not overly elegant, but it seems to work, at  least sort of.
Please note: I haven't fully tested this. To make a long story short, I
tried a piece of software I read about http://www.enuffpc.com/  (please
note: I have no connection to this software) It has a free trial download.
The software is designed to take control of all the profiles on your
computer, to limit login time, etc. As part of the setup process, it detects
all the accounts on your computer. It also detects service accounts. It
gives you the option of changing the password on these accounts at this
time. It appears that it may change the account into something like a guest
account as well. I'm not sure if this destroys the functionality of the
account or not. This also allows the account to be deleted if desired.
(make sure you remove the program when your finished.)
Not overly pretty, but the closest thing I've come across to a solution.
HTH
Ray