Обсуждение: null value in date field

null value in date field

От
Jeff Deroshia
Дата:
I have a form that contains optional DATE fields.  To enter null
values, I've tried null, 'null', '', '-', '0', 0, and each time I get
one of the following errors:

ERROR:  Bad numeric input format ''

ERROR:  Bad date external representation ''

Is there a correct way to enter null values into DATE fields?

Thanks,
Jeff Deroshia

Re: null value in date field

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Jeff,

> I have a form that contains optional DATE fields.  To enter null
> values, I've tried null, 'null', '', '-', '0', 0, and each time I get
> one of the following errors:

NULL is correct, no quotes.   Please post the actual insert statement
you are sending; likely the problem is elsewhere.

-Josh

Re: null value in date field

От
Keith Keller
Дата:
On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 04:13:59PM -0500, Jeff Deroshia wrote:
> I have a form that contains optional DATE fields.  To enter null
> values, I've tried null, 'null', '', '-', '0', 0, and each time I get
> one of the following errors:
>
> ERROR:  Bad numeric input format ''
>
> ERROR:  Bad date external representation ''
>
> Is there a correct way to enter null values into DATE fields?

Yes:

=> create table dummy (mydate date);
CREATE
=> insert into dummy values (null);
INSERT 3397454 1
=> select * from dummy;
 mydate
--------

(1 row)

You say you tried null: what was your insert?  What's the table look
like?

--keith

--
kkeller@speakeasy.net
public key:  http://wombat.san-francisco.ca.us/kkeller/kkeller.asc

Re: null value in date field

От
Jeff Deroshia
Дата:
Thanks to everyone who helped.  I was using prepared statements with
java.sql.
I was using the setString() method to set the value to null, when I
needed to be using the setNull() method.  It created the null values
that I needed.

Jeff