Обсуждение: converting .xls to delimited file

converting .xls to delimited file

От
William Staniewicz
Дата:
Is there any way to convert an Excel file (".xls")
to a delimited file? Maybe using sed?

            Bill

Re: converting .xls to delimited file

От
David Merrill
Дата:
On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 11:22:46AM -0500, William Staniewicz wrote:
> Is there any way to convert an Excel file (".xls")
> to a delimited file? Maybe using sed?

You can export an excel file, from within excel, to tab delimited,
comma delimited, and many other formats. xls is a binary format, so
sed will not do the job.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Three from the hall beneath the tree
    Is, Was, and Shall Be
Come Wyrd Sisters swoop to the ground
Loosen the web that binds us down
Join with the hands of the Weavers Three
    Is, Was, and Shall Be
        -- Is, Was, and Shall Be, Beverly Frederick

Re: converting .xls to delimited file

От
Jason Earl
Дата:
The easiest way to convert an Excel file to a
delimited file would be to open the file in Excel and
save it as "Formatted Text (Tab Delimited)" or "CSV
(Comma Delimited)" file.  If you need to make the
conversion on a *NIX box take a look at Gnumeric.  It
does a very good job (in my experience) of reading
Excel files, and it can then save those files in a
variety of text-based formats.

Once the file is in some sort of text based format you
can use a wide variety of tools to further process it
(including sed).

I hope this is helpful,
Jason Earl

--- William Staniewicz <wstan@localhostnl.demon.nl>

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Re: converting .xls to delimited file

От
Alfonso Peniche
Дата:
Try saving it as a .CSV file and then you can choose the delimiter you
want.

William Staniewicz wrote:

> Is there any way to convert an Excel file (".xls")
> to a delimited file? Maybe using sed?
>
>                         Bill

Re: converting .xls to delimited file

От
"rob"
Дата:
Save it as .TXT (Tab Delimited) format.  When you copy the data into
postgres you may need to define nulls as ''.  Excel text output does not
distinguish between nulls and blanks.  By default, the copy command defines
nulls as \0 so you may need to change that.  I personally prefer that blanks
be imported as nulls.

I use the following copy command when importing:

copy mytable from '/path/input.txt' with nulls as '';

Also: watch your date formats (postgres is pretty good about this itself)
and sometimes your negative number formats.  (i.e. -5 is OK 5- is not OK!)

Finally, Excel has a tendency to export several "blank" rows at the end
(delimiters are correct, but all fields are blank).  I generally remove
these rows either before or after importing.

--rob