Обсуждение: PGSimpleDataSource not support jdbc url

PGSimpleDataSource not support jdbc url

От
Shijun Kong
Дата:
Hi,

I am new to postgreSQL, pgsql-jdbc. If I am not mistaken, PGSimpleDataSource does not support jdbc url. Is there any plan to implement it in future?

__________________________
Shijun Kong, Software Developer
Investor Analytics - Risk Transparency

Direct: +1 646.553.4510 x 121

www.riskology.com

Re: PGSimpleDataSource not support jdbc url

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Shijun,

Can you be more specific ?

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Shijun Kong <skong@investoranalytics.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to postgreSQL, pgsql-jdbc. If I am not mistaken, PGSimpleDataSource
> does not support jdbc url. Is there any plan to implement it in future?
>
> __________________________
> Shijun Kong, Software Developer
> Investor Analytics - Risk Transparency
>
> Direct: +1 646.553.4510 x 121
> Shijun.Kong@investoranalytics.com
> www.investoranalytics.com
>
> www.riskology.com

Re: PGSimpleDataSource not support jdbc url

От
Shijun Kong
Дата:
When go DriverManager approach, we can do something like:
(http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/80/connect.html)

String url =
"jdbc:postgresql://localhost/test?user=fred&password=secret&ssl=true";
Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(url);

However, if you want to use javax.sql.DataSource approach instead of
DriverManager, the current implementation in PGSimpleDataSource(I am using
8.4, looks like 9.x has the same API) force you providing serverName,
PortNumber, databaseName, user, password one by one via setter methods.
Sure, you can parse a jdbc url to get all these properties and set them
one by one. But prefer a jdbc driver library can do that for end-users
which could save boilerplate code for everyone.

On 5/4/12 1:52 PM, "Dave Cramer" <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:

>Shijun,
>
>Can you be more specific ?
>
>Dave Cramer
>
>dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
>http://www.credativ.ca
>

>On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Shijun Kong <skong@investoranalytics.com>
>wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new to postgreSQL, pgsql-jdbc. If I am not mistaken,
>>PGSimpleDataSource
>> does not support jdbc url. Is there any plan to implement it in future?
>>
>> __________________________
>> Shijun Kong, Software Developer
>> Investor Analytics - Risk Transparency
>>
>> Direct: +1 646.553.4510 x 121
>> Shijun.Kong@investoranalytics.com
>> www.investoranalytics.com
>>
>> www.riskology.com

Re: PGSimpleDataSource not support jdbc url

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Shijun,

Well the JDBC API does not support getting a DataSource via a URL.

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Shijun Kong <skong@investoranalytics.com> wrote:
> When go DriverManager approach, we can do something like:
> (http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/80/connect.html)
>
> String url =
> "jdbc:postgresql://localhost/test?user=fred&password=secret&ssl=true";
> Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(url);
>

> However, if you want to use javax.sql.DataSource approach instead of
> DriverManager, the current implementation in PGSimpleDataSource(I am using
> 8.4, looks like 9.x has the same API) force you providing serverName,
> PortNumber, databaseName, user, password one by one via setter methods.
> Sure, you can parse a jdbc url to get all these properties and set them
> one by one. But prefer a jdbc driver library can do that for end-users
> which could save boilerplate code for everyone.
>

> On 5/4/12 1:52 PM, "Dave Cramer" <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
>
>>Shijun,
>>
>>Can you be more specific ?
>>
>>Dave Cramer
>>
>>dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
>>http://www.credativ.ca
>>

>>On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Shijun Kong <skong@investoranalytics.com>
>>wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am new to postgreSQL, pgsql-jdbc. If I am not mistaken,
>>>PGSimpleDataSource
>>> does not support jdbc url. Is there any plan to implement it in future?
>>>
>>> __________________________
>>> Shijun Kong, Software Developer
>>> Investor Analytics - Risk Transparency
>>>
>>> Direct: +1 646.553.4510 x 121
>>> Shijun.Kong@investoranalytics.com
>>> www.investoranalytics.com
>>>
>>> www.riskology.com

Re: PGSimpleDataSource not support jdbc url

От
Shijun Kong
Дата:
Hi Dave,

I didn't say it is a part of JDBC API, if you look DataSource interface,
it has nothing about database server, port, username or password. Not any
of them.

It is just a minor feature which I think is handy to have. And I am asking
here if anyone aware of any future plan of this part, because I did not
find a feature requesting / bug tracking page here:
http://jdbc.postgresql.org/