Обсуждение: gborg -> pgfoundry

gborg -> pgfoundry

От
Kris Jurka
Дата:
Marc has unilaterally decided it's time for gborg to die and taken it down
with very little notice.  So the CVS repo has been moved over, but all
bugs and feature requests have been lost.  I'm not sure what's the status
of the commit mailing list.

Dave, can you add Oliver and I as admins for the pgfoundry project?  Then
we can better try and figure out what's going on.

Kris Jurka

Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 18:07 -0500, Kris Jurka wrote:
> Marc has unilaterally decided it's time for gborg to die and taken it
> down with very little notice.

Kris, it has been discussed publicly for more than a year. It would be
shut down months ago, but web team waited for a bit more.

Cheers,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

От
Kris Jurka
Дата:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 18:07 -0500, Kris Jurka wrote:
>> Marc has unilaterally decided it's time for gborg to die and taken it
>> down with very little notice.
>
> Kris, it has been discussed publicly for more than a year. It would be
> shut down months ago, but web team waited for a bit more.

No.  It has been discussed for a long time that we should work on
shutting down gborg, but no date was ever put out until this week.  All
previous discussions involved discussing how to move things over, not
just giving up and turning it off.  Robert Treat, the person I thought
was heading the migration believed it was a bad idea to make this sudden
move.  Even if we gave up on the auto-migration, how can a couple of
days be sufficient warning for large parts of our project infrastructure
to disappear?

Perhaps it's just my perspective and this doesn't actually affect a lot
of people, but the two main projects I work on are (were) big gborg
users.  How are people supposed to coordinate a release without a
mailing list or a CVS repository?

Kris Jurka

Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 16:59 -0700, Kris Jurka wrote:
> > Kris, it has been discussed publicly for more than a year. It would
>  be shut down months ago, but web team waited for a bit more.
>
> No.  It has been discussed for a long time that we should work on
> shutting down gborg, but no date was ever put out until this week.

A date was put out several times, but yes, now Marc exactly "did" that.

> Robert Treat, the person I thought was heading the migration believed
> it was a bad idea to make this sudden move.

Yeah, because Robert (and I) did not find enough time to move the
mailing lists. You can blame me, too. :)

> Even if we gave up on the auto-migration, how can a couple of
> days be sufficient warning for large parts of our project
> infrastructure to disappear?

Honestly, all the projects should have moved to pgfoundry months ago...
pgfoundry is a replacement (and enhancement) for gborg, you know...

> Perhaps it's just my perspective and this doesn't actually affect a
> lot of people, but the two main projects I work on are (were) big
> gborg users.  How are people supposed to coordinate a release without
> a  mailing list or a CVS repository?

+1 on this one.

So... How can I help you? I have access to pgfoundry, and I think I can
move some stuff for you.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

От
"Marc G. Fournier From":
Дата:
books@ejurka.com (Kris Jurka) writes:

>Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:

>> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 18:07 -0500, Kris Jurka wrote:
>>> Marc has unilaterally decided it's time for gborg to die and taken it
>>> down with very little notice.
>>
>> Kris, it has been discussed publicly for more than a year. It would be
>> shut down months ago, but web team waited for a bit more.
>>

>No.  It has been discussed for a long time that we should work on
>shutting down gborg, but no date was ever put out until this week.

"discussed for a long time", and you *still* did nothing to actually
prepare for it, and now  you are all in a huff cause what we've been
discussing 'for a long time' has finally come to pass?

In fact, even when I said I was going to be shutting it
down in ~48 hours, there was nothing  from you to anyone about "can we
move my projects over?", it was all whining about "we need more planning
and more time" ...

--
----

Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

От
"Marc G. Fournier From":
Дата:
devrim@CommandPrompt.com (Devrim =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=DCND=DCZ?=) writes:

>So... How can I help you? I have access to pgfoundry, and I think I can
>move some stuff for you.

If you can tell me what you need from the gborg VPS, I can upload into the
pgfoundry VPS for you ... everything was deleted from neptune, but only
after it was completely backed up ...

--
----

Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

От
Kris Jurka

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Marc G. Fournier From wrote:

> devrim@CommandPrompt.com (Devrim =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=DCND=DCZ?=) writes:
>

>> So... How can I help you? I have access to pgfoundry, and I think I can
>> move some stuff for you.
>
> If you can tell me what you need from the gborg VPS, I can upload into the
> pgfoundry VPS for you ... everything was deleted from neptune, but only
> after it was completely backed up ...

PGJDBC:

1) Need subscribers of pgjdbc-commit@gborg.postgresql.org copied to
jdbc-commits@pgfoundry.org.

2) Need the pgfoundry jdbc project's CVSROOT/loginfo changed to point
messages from pgsql-committers to jdbc-commits@pgfoundry.org.  I don't
seem to have permission to do this:

$ cvs commit
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs [server aborted]: "commit" requires write access to the repository
cvs commit: saving log message in /tmp/cvsMcj7uS

3) Might need to add some pgfoundry server account as a nomail subscriber
to the commit list to ensure that messages can actually be posted.
Previously we needed cvsuser@gborg.postgresql.org as a subscriber.

4) I'd like unclosed bug reports and feature requests.  I have no idea
what's in this list, but there's likely something valuable.  While I
understand that migrating them isn't going to happen, at least being able
to read through them would be helpful.

5) Would like the mailing list archives moved over, but since it's just
commit messages, it's not terribly important.

PLJAVA:

1) Need to move the cvs repository to pgfoundry.

2) Need to move subscribers of pljava-dev@gborg.postgresql.org to a new
list on pgfoundry, probably pljava-dev@pgfoundry.org.  At the moment I'm
not an admin on the pljava project, so I can't set this up.

3) Need the archives of the old list, these have a ton of information in
them that we can no longer tell people to search for.

4) Need to see old bug reports and feature requests.  The gborg tracking
features were used extensively and I currently have no idea what's still
open.

Kris Jurka

Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

От
Kris Jurka

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Marc G. Fournier From wrote:

> books@ejurka.com (Kris Jurka) writes:
>
> "discussed for a long time", and you *still* did nothing to actually
> prepare for it, and now  you are all in a huff cause what we've been
> discussing 'for a long time' has finally come to pass?

I tried to follow the plan that was laid out.  Everyone talked about
automatic migration, so I waited.  Then Robert asked for people who
needed help moving projects and I responded saying that both pgjdbc and
pljava needed assistance.  I responded to him personally instead of a
list, but other than that I don't feel I should have done anything else.
Duplicating anything on pgfoundry would be more likely to lead to
confusion about which version is authoritative (from regular users who
don't understand the difference between gborg + pgfoundry).  Also
duplicating things would make any automatic migration more difficult if it
needed to merge things instead of a bulk move.

> In fact, even when I said I was going to be shutting it
> down in ~48 hours, there was nothing  from you to anyone about "can we
> move my projects over?", it was all whining about "we need more planning
> and more time" ...

I work on pg in the spare time I can find.  All I could do was ask for
more time.  What about people who are on vacation?  What about people who
don't read pgsql-www?  Why 48 hours?  I know you're hot to get this done,
but after years of talking about it, how would a week or two have been a
real problem?

Kris Jurka

Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

От
"Marc G. Fournier From":
Дата:
books@ejurka.com (Kris Jurka) writes:

>PGJDBC:

>1) Need subscribers of pgjdbc-commit@gborg.postgresql.org copied to
>jdbc-commits@pgfoundry.org.

>2) Need the pgfoundry jdbc project's CVSROOT/loginfo changed to point
>messages from pgsql-committers to jdbc-commits@pgfoundry.org.  I don't
>seem to have permission to do this:

>$ cvs commit
>cvs commit: Examining .
>cvs [server aborted]: "commit" requires write access to the repository
>cvs commit: saving log message in /tmp/cvsMcj7uS

>3) Might need to add some pgfoundry server account as a nomail subscriber
>to the commit list to ensure that messages can actually be posted.
>Previously we needed cvsuser@gborg.postgresql.org as a subscriber.

>4) I'd like unclosed bug reports and feature requests.  I have no idea
>what's in this list, but there's likely something valuable.  While I
>understand that migrating them isn't going to happen, at least being able
>to read through them would be helpful.

>5) Would like the mailing list archives moved over, but since it's just
>commit messages, it's not terribly important.

>PLJAVA:

>1) Need to move the cvs repository to pgfoundry.

>2) Need to move subscribers of pljava-dev@gborg.postgresql.org to a new
>list on pgfoundry, probably pljava-dev@pgfoundry.org.  At the moment I'm
>not an admin on the pljava project, so I can't set this up.

>3) Need the archives of the old list, these have a ton of information in
>them that we can no longer tell people to search for.

>4) Need to see old bug reports and feature requests.  The gborg tracking
>features were used extensively and I currently have no idea what's still
>open.

Devrim, the easy one: CVS .. /root/java/gborg-cvsroot.tar.bz2

The hard one ... what do you need from the mailman directory?

The impossible one ... unless I missed a thread, migrating database information
from gborg -> pgfoundry was near impossible, or did someone finally write a
conversion script ...

--
----

Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 02:13 +0000, scrappy@hub.org wrote:
> The hard one ... what do you need from the mailman directory?

archives and list configuration files. I think I can do the rest.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, books@ejurka.com (Kris Jurka) wrote:
> Marc has unilaterally decided it's time for gborg to die and taken it
> down with very little notice.  So the CVS repo has been moved over,
> but all bugs and feature requests have been lost.  I'm not sure what's
> the status of the commit mailing list.

And if it had died because of some accident, you'd be screwed with no
recourse.

We've been watching gBorg dying for a year and a half, and we *other*
rats were busy abandoning ship.  Maybe that should have been
considered a year or so ago?
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/emacs.html

Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
On 8-Nov-07, at 10:55 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:

> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, books@ejurka.com (Kris
> Jurka) wrote:
>> Marc has unilaterally decided it's time for gborg to die and taken it
>> down with very little notice.  So the CVS repo has been moved over,
>> but all bugs and feature requests have been lost.  I'm not sure
>> what's
>> the status of the commit mailing list.
>
> And if it had died because of some accident, you'd be screwed with no
> recourse.

pgjdbc on pgfoundry has been syncing the CVS repo for more than a
year, just in case

I think what Kris was asking for was simply a 1 week deadline
communicated clearly to him.

Not everyone has unlimited time to work on pg!

Dave
> We've been watching gBorg dying for a year and a half, and we *other*
> rats were busy abandoning ship.  Maybe that should have been
> considered a year or so ago?
> --
> let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat
> "@" [name;tld];;
> http://linuxdatabases.info/info/emacs.html
> The way to a man's heart is through the left ventricle.
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
>       match

Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

От
Thomas Hallgren
Дата:
Kris,
first of all, thanks a million for helping out with this. I've been asked what I wanted moved in
case of a gborg shutdown several times but I never got any actual help moving it. I had no chance of
moving the CVS repo nor the mailing lists by my self since I didn't have the right access
permissions on gborg. If I would have had, I would have done the move a year ago when I created the
pgfoundry PL/Java project.

I was also a bit surprised that the plug was pulled without further notice.

Kris Jurka wrote:
> PLJAVA:
>
> 1) Need to move the cvs repository to pgfoundry.
>
> 2) Need to move subscribers of pljava-dev@gborg.postgresql.org to a new
> list on pgfoundry, probably pljava-dev@pgfoundry.org.  At the moment I'm
> not an admin on the pljava project, so I can't set this up.

That's been fixed.

> 3) Need the archives of the old list, these have a ton of information in
> them that we can no longer tell people to search for.

Yes. The mailing list is very important.

> 4) Need to see old bug reports and feature requests.  The gborg tracking
> features were used extensively and I currently have no idea what's still
> open.

I think this is of limited value. Would it be possible to just get some kind of human readable dump
of the information that was there?

Thanks everyone who made it possible to start and maintain PL/Java at GBorg. May it rest in peace :-)

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: gborg -> pgfoundry

От
Kris Jurka

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Kris Jurka wrote:

> 2) Need the pgfoundry jdbc project's CVSROOT/loginfo changed to point
> messages from pgsql-committers to jdbc-commits@pgfoundry.org.  I don't seem
> to have permission to do this:

Done.  It turns out pgfoundry won't allow edits from a pserver checkout,
you need to do a ssh checkout.

> 3) Might need to add some pgfoundry server account as a nomail subscriber to
> the commit list to ensure that messages can actually be posted. Previously we
> needed cvsuser@gborg.postgresql.org as a subscriber.

Dave, you're the list admin, can you work on figuring this out or give me
the admin password?

Marc/Devrim, how are the other items coming along?

Kris Jurka