Обсуждение: DBD::Pg now without maintainer

DBD::Pg now without maintainer

От
jmelesky@performics.com
Дата:
The maintainer of DBD::Pg (the PostgreSQL DBI driver for Perl) has given up
stewardship of that interface on the dbi developer's list. I would include
his original email, but it was slightly inflammatory.

Is this the correct list to shop for a new maintainer? If so, is anyone
interested?

maintainer.

Thanks, from the entire PostgreSQL-using portion of the perl community.

-johnnnnnnnn

Re: DBD::Pg now without maintainer

Дата:
Yes, this is the place.  I would be glad to maintain it.  It is a major
piece of interface software for PostgreSQL, so we really need someone to
actively maintain it.  I will host it on gborg.postgresql.org.  I do
need to see his original email.  Because it is inflamatory, please email
it to me privately.  Thanks.

jmelesky@performics.com wrote:
> The maintainer of DBD::Pg (the PostgreSQL DBI driver for Perl) has given up
> stewardship of that interface on the dbi developer's list. I would include
> his original email, but it was slightly inflammatory.
>
> Is this the correct list to shop for a new maintainer? If so, is anyone
> interested?

> maintainer.
>
> Thanks, from the entire PostgreSQL-using portion of the perl community.
>
> -johnnnnnnnn

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Pennsylvania19073

Re: DBD::Pg now without maintainer

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=perl-dbi&m=103455033825732&w=2

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: DBD::Pg now without maintainer

Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Yes, this is the place.  I would be glad to maintain it.  It is a major
> > piece of interface software for PostgreSQL, so we really need someone to
> > actively maintain it.  I will host it on gborg.postgresql.org.  I do
> > need to see his original email.
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=perl-dbi&m=103455033825732&w=2

Yes, I take blame for the spam filter.  I whitelisted him in (my first
such spam filter problem) and still heard nothing.  Not sure how to
address this further, but I will set it up on gborg and others can get
involved.

Pennsylvania19073

specific DataProvider for Postgres in the .NET

От
Oscar Serrano
Hello everybody:
Does anybody knows if it will exist a specific DataProvider for Postgres in
the .NET framework as it actually exists for MS SQL Server, and Oracle?
I have to connecto to a Postgres from a .NET application, and
OdbcConnection is very slow.
Thank you very much.
Oscar

Re: specific DataProvider for Postgres in the .NET

От
Rodrigo Moya
Дата:
On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 09:58, Oscar Serrano wrote:
> Hello everybody:
> Does anybody knows if it will exist a specific DataProvider for Postgres in
> the .NET framework as it actually exists for MS SQL Server, and Oracle?
> I have to connecto to a Postgres from a .NET application, and
> OdbcConnection is very slow.

if you use Mono (http://www.go-mono.com) you'll have a PostgreSQL native
managed provider (it's the System.Data.SqlClient, which uses PostgreSQL
temporarily on Mono, to be replaced by a SQL server provider once
somebody does it)

cheers

Re: DBD::Pg now without maintainer

От
alex@pilosoft.com
Дата:
For what its worth, I'm doing heavy postgresql development at my new
business, and wouldn't mind picking up DBD::Pg maintainership.

I think I'm fairly familiar with DBD::Pg details, having submitted more
than a few patches last year (some accepted some fallen by wayside, to
both Edmund and Jeff).

-alex

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > Yes, this is the place.  I would be glad to maintain it.  It is a major
> > > piece of interface software for PostgreSQL, so we really need someone to
> > > actively maintain it.  I will host it on gborg.postgresql.org.  I do
> > > need to see his original email.
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=perl-dbi&m=103455033825732&w=2
>
> Yes, I take blame for the spam filter.  I whitelisted him in (my first
> such spam filter problem) and still heard nothing.  Not sure how to
> address this further, but I will set it up on gborg and others can get
> involved.

Re: DBD::Pg now without maintainer

Дата:
Great.  New DBD-pg web site is:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/dbdpg/projdisplay.php

The beauty of this is that we don't need _a_ maintainer.  We can all get
involved and make it better.  That's why I wanted it on gborg so many
people could get involved.

alex@pilosoft.com wrote:
> For what its worth, I'm doing heavy postgresql development at my new
> business, and wouldn't mind picking up DBD::Pg maintainership.
>
> I think I'm fairly familiar with DBD::Pg details, having submitted more
> than a few patches last year (some accepted some fallen by wayside, to
> both Edmund and Jeff).
>

> -alex
>
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=perl-dbi&m=103455033825732&w=2
> >
> > Yes, I take blame for the spam filter.  I whitelisted him in (my first
> > such spam filter problem) and still heard nothing.  Not sure how to
> > address this further, but I will set it up on gborg and others can get
> > involved.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: DBD::Pg now without maintainer

Дата:
> The beauty of this is that we don't need _a_ maintainer.  We can all get
> involved and make it better.  That's why I wanted it on gborg so many
> people could get involved.

Yeah.  Bruce and I were just discussing this point by phone the other
day.  Look at JDBC: it's advanced by leaps and bounds lately, because
quite a few people have been working on it.  The interfaces that have
been stagnant are the ones where there's only one designated
maintainer.  We need to move to a more open maintenance model.
Which is not to say that there shouldn't be some recognized key people
who know all about one package (cf Barry Lind and Dave Cramer's sterling
efforts for JDBC), but it's gotta be an open project.

Off-the-wall idea: it seems like the "core committee plus inner circle
of committers plus community" structure has worked pretty well for the
main server effort.  Maybe for the most popular interfaces like JDBC
and ODBC and DBD::Pg, we should consider some similar structure: appoint
a core committee of three or so people for each major interface, and let
them delegate commit rights as they see fit?  Or is that too much
bureaucracy?
        regards, tom lane