Обсуждение: Don't include MMAP DSM's transient files in basebackup

Don't include MMAP DSM's transient files in basebackup

От
Oskari Saarenmaa
Дата:
The files are not useful when restoring a backup and would be
automatically deleted on startup anyway.  Also deleted an out-of-date
comment in dsm.c.

/ Oskari

Вложения

Re: Don't include MMAP DSM's transient files in basebackup

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Oskari Saarenmaa <os@aiven.io> wrote:
> The files are not useful when restoring a backup and would be automatically
> deleted on startup anyway.

The same could be said about pg_snapshots.
--
Michael

Re: Don't include MMAP DSM's transient files in basebackup

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2016-07-06 16:46:53 +0300, Oskari Saarenmaa wrote:
> The files are not useful when restoring a backup and would be automatically
> deleted on startup anyway.  Also deleted an out-of-date comment in dsm.c.

No arguments against the change. But I am wondering how you ran into
this - the mmap dsm backend really should pretty much never be used...

- Andres

Re: Don't include MMAP DSM's transient files in basebackup

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On 2016-07-06 16:46:53 +0300, Oskari Saarenmaa wrote:
> The files are not useful when restoring a backup and would be automatically
> deleted on startup anyway.  Also deleted an out-of-date comment in dsm.c.

No arguments against the change. But I am wondering how you ran into
this - the mmap dsm backend really should pretty much never be used...

Unfortunately I think that's still what happens by default if you use pg_upgradecluster on debian :(

//Magnus

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Don't include MMAP DSM's transient files in basebackup

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2016-07-07 08:49:18 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thursday, July 7, 2016, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>
> > On 2016-07-06 16:46:53 +0300, Oskari Saarenmaa wrote:
> > > The files are not useful when restoring a backup and would be
> > automatically
> > > deleted on startup anyway.  Also deleted an out-of-date comment in dsm.c.
> >
> > No arguments against the change. But I am wondering how you ran into
> > this - the mmap dsm backend really should pretty much never be used...
> >

> Unfortunately I think that's still what happens by default if you use
> pg_upgradecluster on debian :(

Ugh. Sounds like that should better be fixed before 9.6. It'll make
parallel query seriously slower.

Andres