Обсуждение: improve the help message about psql -F

improve the help message about psql -F

От
Jov
Дата:
in the offical doc,-F say:
Use separator as the field separator for unaligned output.

but in the psql --help,-F say:
set field separator (default: "|")

if user don't read the offical doc carefully,he can use:

psql -F , -c 'select ...'
But can't get what he want.
It is a bad user Experience.

I make a patch change the help message for -F to:
set field separator for unaligned output (default: "|")

patch for head attached.

Вложения

Re: improve the help message about psql -F

От
Jov
Дата:
any commnet?

Use separator as the field separator for unaligned output.

but in the psql --help,-F say:
set field separator (default: "|")

if user don't read the offical doc carefully,he can use:

psql -F , -c 'select ...'
But can't get what he want.
It is a bad user Experience.

I make a patch change the help message for -F to:
set field separator for unaligned output (default: "|")

patch for head attached.

Re: improve the help message about psql -F

От
Marti Raudsepp
Дата:
2014/1/17 Jov <amutu@amutu.com>
> but in the psql --help,-F say:
>
>> set field separator (default: "|")

> if user don't read the offical doc carefully,he can use:
>
>> psql -F , -c 'select ...'
>
> But can't get what he want.
> It is a bad user Experience.

+1 from me, patch applies and is helpful.

After patching this line in psql --help is 82 characters long; I think
it's best to keep help screens below 80 characters wide (although
there's already 1 other line violating this rule).

I think the word "set" is pretty useless there anyway, maybe remove
that so the message becomes "field separator for unaligned output
(default: "|")"

PS: There isn't an open CommitFest to add this to. Shouldn't we always
open a new CF when the last one goes in progress? If there's no date,
it may be simply called "next"

Regards,
Marti

Re: improve the help message about psql -F

От
Jov
Дата:
reasonable,I removed the "set",patch attached.

2014/1/20 Marti Raudsepp <marti@juffo.org>
2014/1/17 Jov <amutu@amutu.com>
> but in the psql --help,-F say:
>
>> set field separator (default: "|")

> if user don't read the offical doc carefully,he can use:
>
>> psql -F , -c 'select ...'
>
> But can't get what he want.
> It is a bad user Experience.

+1 from me, patch applies and is helpful.

After patching this line in psql --help is 82 characters long; I think
it's best to keep help screens below 80 characters wide (although
there's already 1 other line violating this rule).

I think the word "set" is pretty useless there anyway, maybe remove
that so the message becomes "field separator for unaligned output
(default: "|")"

PS: There isn't an open CommitFest to add this to. Shouldn't we always
open a new CF when the last one goes in progress? If there's no date,
it may be simply called "next"

Regards,
Marti

Вложения

Re: improve the help message about psql -F

От
Marti Raudsepp
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Jov <amutu@amutu.com> wrote:
> reasonable,I removed the "set",patch attached.

Hi Jov,

A new commitfest was just opened, due on 2014-06. Please add your patch here:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view?id=22

(You'll need a community account if you don't already have one)

Sometimes simple fixes like yours are merged outside a CommitFest, but
adding it there makes sure it won't get lost.

Regards,
Marti

Re: improve the help message about psql -F

От
Jov
Дата:
OK,I will do it.Thanks.

2014/1/21 Marti Raudsepp <marti@juffo.org>
On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Jov <amutu@amutu.com> wrote:
> reasonable,I removed the "set",patch attached.

Hi Jov,

A new commitfest was just opened, due on 2014-06. Please add your patch here:
https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view?id=22

(You'll need a community account if you don't already have one)

Sometimes simple fixes like yours are merged outside a CommitFest, but
adding it there makes sure it won't get lost.

Regards,
Marti

Re: improve the help message about psql -F

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
If you are going to change the help string for -F, you should also
update the help string for -R, and possibly for -z and -0.

Re: improve the help message about psql -F

Дата:
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 10:02:20PM -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> If you are going to change the help string for -F, you should also
> update the help string for -R, and possibly for -z and -0.

Patch applied with all the suggestions merged in;  commitfest item
marked as committed:
 -F, --field-separator=STRING                          field separator for unaligned output (default: "|") -H, --html
           HTML table output mode -P, --pset=VAR[=ARG]     set printing option VAR to ARG (see \pset command) -R,
--record-separator=STRING                         record separator for unaligned output (default: newline) -t,
--tuples-only       print rows only -T, --table-attr=TEXT    set HTML table tag attributes (e.g., width, border) -x,
--expanded          turn on expanded table output -z, --field-separator-zero                          set field
separatorfor unaligned output to zero byte -0, --record-separator-zero                          set record separator
forunaligned output to zero byte

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +