Обсуждение: tzdata2012d

tzdata2012d

От
David Fetter
Дата:
Folks,

I just noticed that there's yet another change to time zones:

http://www.iana.org/time-zones

Can we slide this into the upcoming point release?  When would that
be?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: tzdata2012d

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from David Fetter's message of lun jul 30 17:27:46 -0400 2012:
> Folks,
>
> I just noticed that there's yet another change to time zones:
>
> http://www.iana.org/time-zones
>
> Can we slide this into the upcoming point release?  When would that
> be?

Usually, Tom installs the latest timezone data just before each point
release.  Updating it each time IANA releases a new one would just be
unnecessary churn, I think.

Re: tzdata2012d

Дата:
> Excerpts from David Fetter's message of lun jul 30 17:27:46 -0400 2012:
>> Can we slide this into the upcoming point release?  When would that
>> be?

> Usually, Tom installs the latest timezone data just before each point
> release.

It's part of the release checklist.

In practice, people who need the latest TZ data shouldn't be relying
on our copy anyway.  I think pretty much all distros build with
--with-system-tzdata so that the distros' own updates of tzdata get
picked up automatically by Postgres.
        regards, tom lane

Re: tzdata2012d

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Excerpts from David Fetter's message of lun jul 30 17:27:46 -0400 2012:
>>> Can we slide this into the upcoming point release?  When would that
>>> be?
>
>> Usually, Tom installs the latest timezone data just before each point
>> release.
>
> It's part of the release checklist.
>
> In practice, people who need the latest TZ data shouldn't be relying
> on our copy anyway.  I think pretty much all distros build with

That's a "dangerous" thing to say. All the Windows users out there
have no choice. I'm not sure about Mac, but AFAIK certainly the ones
downloading the binaries will get "our" set of TZ files. That
represents a very non-trival portion of our users.

Re: tzdata2012d

Дата:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> In practice, people who need the latest TZ data shouldn't be relying
>> on our copy anyway.  I think pretty much all distros build with

> That's a "dangerous" thing to say. All the Windows users out there
> have no choice. I'm not sure about Mac, but AFAIK certainly the ones
> downloading the binaries will get "our" set of TZ files. That
> represents a very non-trival portion of our users.

Well, I'm certainly not suggesting that we shouldn't update those files
whenever we make a release.  I'm just pointing out that in many cases,
the OS will provide a copy that's updated on a faster cycle than that.
        regards, tom lane