Обсуждение: What is known about PostgreSQL HP-UX support?

What is known about PostgreSQL HP-UX support?

От
Alex Goncharov
Дата:
[ Thanks all for the very productive discussion in the thread "libpq, PQdescribePrepared -> PQftype, PQfmod, no
PQnullable"which I originated.  Very useful.  Now on something different. ]

About two years ago, I had to research some PostgreSQL failures on
HP-UX on a lame PA-RISC box.  Looking at the PostgreSQL source code
then, I got an impression that running PostgreSQL on HP-UX was an open
question -- HP-UX didn't seem like a seriously targeted platform.

Was I wrong in my assessment?  Does anybody have a good experience
running PostgreSQL on HP-UX?  What version of both? PA-RISC? IA64?

Thanks,

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov@comcast.net --

Re: What is known about PostgreSQL HP-UX support?

Дата:
Alex Goncharov <alex-goncharov@comcast.net> writes:
> About two years ago, I had to research some PostgreSQL failures on
> HP-UX on a lame PA-RISC box.  Looking at the PostgreSQL source code
> then, I got an impression that running PostgreSQL on HP-UX was an open
> question -- HP-UX didn't seem like a seriously targeted platform.

Well, HP hasn't exactly been forthcoming with support on their own end,
but we do have an HPUX 11.31 IA64 machine in the buildfarm, and I still
routinely test on a personal 10.20 HPPA box, so it's not like the
platform doesn't get coverage at all.  If you'd like to see some other
cases covered, feel free to contribute a buildfarm member.
        regards, tom lane

Re: What is known about PostgreSQL HP-UX support?

От
Alex Goncharov
Дата:
Thanks...

,--- You/Tom (Sun, 09 Oct 2011 22:29:19 -0400) ----*
| Well, HP hasn't exactly been forthcoming with support on their own end,
| but we do have an HPUX 11.31 IA64 machine in the buildfarm,

Should I read the above as:
 1. The PostgreSQL server will build on HPUX 11.31 IA64.
 2. The server will run all right (speaking on the test cases you    personally covered only) on HPUX 11.31 IA64.
 3. Both PostgreSQL v. 8.4 and 9.1.

| and I still routinely test on a personal 10.20 HPPA box, so it's not
| like the platform doesn't get coverage at all.

and the same three items on HPPA 10.20.

Or anything of the items 1 to 3 is not true or not certain?

Thanks again!

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov@comcast.net --

Re: What is known about PostgreSQL HP-UX support?

От
PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Дата:
On Oct 10, 2011, at 4:21 AM, Alex Goncharov wrote:

> [ Thanks all for the very productive discussion in the thread
>  "libpq, PQdescribePrepared -> PQftype, PQfmod, no PQnullable"
>  which I originated.  Very useful.  Now on something different. ]
>
> About two years ago, I had to research some PostgreSQL failures on
> HP-UX on a lame PA-RISC box.  Looking at the PostgreSQL source code
> then, I got an impression that running PostgreSQL on HP-UX was an open
> question -- HP-UX didn't seem like a seriously targeted platform.
>
> Was I wrong in my assessment?  Does anybody have a good experience
> running PostgreSQL on HP-UX?  What version of both? PA-RISC? IA64?
>
> Thanks,

hello,

HPUX is not too common these days but it works like a charm.
we have a couple of large IA64 servers running on HPUX at a major customer.
things work without any problems. it compiled out of the box just like expected and we have not seen any failures or so
foralmost 2 years now.

so, thumbs up ... nothing to be afraid of.
many thanks,
    hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
Gröhrmühlgasse 26

Re: What is known about PostgreSQL HP-UX support?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 10.10.2011 05:39, Alex Goncharov wrote:
>    1. The PostgreSQL server will build on HPUX 11.31 IA64.

Yes.

>    2. The server will run all right (speaking on the test cases you
>       personally covered only) on HPUX 11.31 IA64.

Yes, works fine.

>    3. Both PostgreSQL v. 8.4 and 9.1.

Not sure about 8.4 (or 9.0). A bunch of HP-UX related fixes were
committed around April-May, to fix issues I bumped into when setting up
the HP-UX ia64 buildfarm member (anole). I don't think all of them were
back-patched.

Re: What is known about PostgreSQL HP-UX support?

От
Alex Goncharov
Дата:
Thank you all who replied!

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov@comcast.net --

/** They're only trying to make me LOOK paranoid!*/