Обсуждение: Re: [DOCS] found a very confusing and maybe outdated sentence

Re: [DOCS] found a very confusing and maybe outdated sentence

От
Susanne Ebrecht
Дата:
On 31.03.2011 18:13, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Susanne Ebrecht
> <susanne@2ndquadrant.com>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> It is in start.sgml. You can see it here:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/tutorial-accessdb.html
>>
>> The last two sentences on the page:
>>
>> " If PostgreSQL is installed correctly you can also
>> type man psql at the operating system shell prompt
>> to see the documentation. In this tutorial we will not
>> use these features explicitly, but you can use them
>> yourself when it is helpful."
>>
>> Isn't that totally outdated?
>>
>> Is "man" really working on Windows?
>>
>> Also the sentence says that the whole product isn't correct
>> installed just because docs aren't installed. Which also isn't
>> really true.
>>
>> Honesty, I just would like to drop the whole sentences.
>>
>> What do you think?
> +1 for deleting the entire sentence.

Here is the patch for removing the whole sentence.

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Вложения

Re: [DOCS] found a very confusing and maybe outdated sentence

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> Is "man" really working on Windows?
>>>
>>> Also the sentence says that the whole product isn't correct
>>> installed just because docs aren't installed. Which also isn't
>>> really true.
>>>
>>> Honesty, I just would like to drop the whole sentences.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> +1 for deleting the entire sentence.
>>

> Here is the patch for removing the whole sentence.

Hmm... this actually removes two sentences.  I've committed the
removal of the one we talked about; I don't particularly see any
reason to remove the following one also.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [DOCS] found a very confusing and maybe outdated sentence

От
Susanne Ebrecht
Дата:
On 04.04.2011 01:51, Robert Haas wrote:

>>> +1 for deleting the entire sentence.
>>>
>> Here is the patch for removing the whole sentence.
> Hmm... this actually removes two sentences.  I've committed the
> removal of the one we talked about; I don't particularly see any
> reason to remove the following one also.

Hello Robert,

the second sentence says "these features" - and I would understand:

these features == man pages

Means, I would understand that the two sentences belong together and
both talk about man pages.

When we don't mention man pages anymore then we not need the sentence
that tells that the tutorial won't take care about man pages.

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: [DOCS] found a very confusing and maybe outdated sentence

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 4:06 AM, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> the second sentence says "these features" - and I would understand:
>
> these features == man pages
>
> Means, I would understand that the two sentences belong together and
> both talk about man pages.
>
> When we don't mention man pages anymore then we not need the sentence
> that tells that the tutorial won't take care about man pages.

Oh, I interpreted that sentence to be talking about the features *of
psql*, not the man pages.