Обсуждение: Ignore -- testing message-id on footer

Ignore -- testing message-id on footer

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Hi,

Please ignore this message.

Re: Ignore -- testing message-id on footer

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> -
> This email on the web: http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/$MESSAGE_ID

fail :)

--
greg

Re: Ignore -- testing message-id on footer

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Greg Stark wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > -
> > This email on the web: http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/$MESSAGE_ID
>
> fail :)

Yeah, majordomo does not consider MESSAGE_ID a "standard substitution
variable".  It's some other kind of variable it seems, so it's not
replaced on message footers.

Re: Ignore -- testing message-id on footer

Дата:
Greg Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> This email on the web: http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/$MESSAGE_ID

> fail :)

It's a bad idea anyway.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> > On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> > <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >> This email on the web: http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/$MESSAGE_ID
>
> > fail :)
>
> It's a bad idea anyway.

I find it useless, but why do you think it's a bad idea?  I had a look
at the mj2 source and I think the patch needed to make this work is a
one liner.  So if we're interested it seems that it could be made to
work.

Re: Ignore -- testing message-id on footer

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 12:37 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Greg Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> >
> > > fail :)
> >
> > It's a bad idea anyway.
>
> I find it useless, but why do you think it's a bad idea?

I would certainly like to have some idea behind why making accessing
specific threads in the archives is a bad idea?

>  I had a look
> at the mj2 source and I think the patch needed to make this work is a
> one liner.  So if we're interested it seems that it could be made to
> work.

Cool.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Ignore -- testing message-id on footer

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Greg Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>>
>>> fail :)
>>
>> It's a bad idea anyway.
>
> I find it useless, but why do you think it's a bad idea?  I had a look
> at the mj2 source and I think the patch needed to make this work is a
> one liner.  So if we're interested it seems that it could be made to
> work.

Why a patch?  Why not just:

configset DEFAULT message_footer <<ENDAAB
-
Archives URL:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/$MESSAGE_ID
ENDAAB

Its a simple setting ... *shrug*

----

Re: Ignore -- testing message-id on footer

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Why a patch?  Why not just:
>
> configset DEFAULT message_footer <<ENDAAB
> -
> Archives URL:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/$MESSAGE_ID
> ENDAAB
>
> Its a simple setting ... *shrug*

Because that doesn't work :-)  I already tried (as you can see in the
message that starts this thread) and MESSAGE_ID is not expanded in that
context.  What the patch does is enable it for expansion.

While I have your attention, could you please fix the footer?  I messed
up the trailing whitespace in the "-- " line and I can't fix it.  See
here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/BDE3BC5B7E87393F64EB7359%40ganymede.hub.org

Magnus tried to help but he hit some errors so he backed off; he told me
to ask you instead.  (Note that I only changed it in pgsql-hackers, not
DEFAULT).

Re: Ignore -- testing message-id on footer

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Try that, should be fixed ...