Обсуждение: [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

[FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Hi,

Thanks to Brendan Jurd, who spent a lot of effort in creating useful
Mediawiki templates, we now have moved the TODO list to the Wiki site.

The new official location for the TODO list is here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo:Todo

I hereby kindly request the WWW team to update any references to point
to the new address; perhaps install a redirection in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html to the new location.

The move has been approved by Bruce, the current maintainer.  I hope
that he continues to maintain the new version.

While many details have been sorted out during the move, being a wiki
there is nothing set in stone.  Feel free to do changes like improve the
markup or the templates so that things look better (after appropriate
discussion), but if you intend to make changes like mark items
completed, add new items, or remove items, please email pgsql-hackers as
has been Bruce's tradition.

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Joshua Drake
Дата:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:12:15 -0400
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> The move has been approved by Bruce, the current maintainer.  I hope
> that he continues to maintain the new version.

This is great! I only have one small request. The font is really small
and I have pretty good eyesight.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

Дата:
Joshua Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:12:15 -0400
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>

> > The move has been approved by Bruce, the current maintainer.  I hope
> > that he continues to maintain the new version.
>
> This is great! I only have one small request. The font is really small
> and I have pretty good eyesight.

How does it compare to the font size of the previous version of the TODO
list?

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to Brendan Jurd, who spent a lot of effort in creating useful
> Mediawiki templates, we now have moved the TODO list to the Wiki site.
>
> The new official location for the TODO list is here:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo:Todo
>
> I hereby kindly request the WWW team to update any references to point
> to the new address; perhaps install a redirection in
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html to the new location.
>
> The move has been approved by Bruce, the current maintainer.  I hope
> that he continues to maintain the new version.
>
> While many details have been sorted out during the move, being a wiki
> there is nothing set in stone.  Feel free to do changes like improve the
> markup or the templates so that things look better (after appropriate
> discussion), but if you intend to make changes like mark items
> completed, add new items, or remove items, please email pgsql-hackers as
> has been Bruce's tradition.

The wiki has a similar appearance compared to the old TODO html file,
and allows easy editing, either per TODO section or the entire file;
the markup is also simple.  This should allow other people to maintain
the TODO list, as they have done with the commit fest list.

I believe TODO and TODO.html files should now be removed from CVS.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to Brendan Jurd, who spent a lot of effort in creating useful
> Mediawiki templates, we now have moved the TODO list to the Wiki site.

Yay!

Thanks to Brendan for helping out with that!

> The new official location for the TODO list is here:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo:Todo
>
> I hereby kindly request the WWW team to update any references to point
> to the new address; perhaps install a redirection in
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html to the new location.

Done on both accounts.

> The move has been approved by Bruce, the current maintainer.  I hope
> that he continues to maintain the new version.

And let's keep the version in CVS around for a couple of days to let
things settle before we do a "cvs remove" on it..

//Magnus

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:26:11AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:12:15 -0400
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> > The move has been approved by Bruce, the current maintainer.  I
> > hope that he continues to maintain the new version.
>
> This is great! I only have one small request. The font is really
> small and I have pretty good eyesight.

Fixed :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Joshua Drake
Дата:
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:53:57 -0700
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

> > This is great! I only have one small request. The font is really
> > small and I have pretty good eyesight.
>
> Fixed :)

Much better, thanks!

Joshua D. Drake

> Cheers,
> David.

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

Дата:
> I believe TODO and TODO.html files should now be removed from CVS.

+1.  Leaving them in CVS would just result in confusion.

It might make sense to leave TODO still in the file set, but reduce its
content to a pointer to the wiki page.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

Дата:
> And let's keep the version in CVS around for a couple of days to let
> things settle before we do a "cvs remove" on it..

Why?  "cvs remove" is reversible, if it comes to that.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
>> And let's keep the version in CVS around for a couple of days to let
>> things settle before we do a "cvs remove" on it..
>
> Why?  "cvs remove" is reversible, if it comes to that.

Good pt. I was mixing it up with the sucky way cvs deals with directory
removals. My bad, suggestion withdrawn.

//Magnus

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I believe TODO and TODO.html files should now be removed from CVS.
>
> +1.  Leaving them in CVS would just result in confusion.
>
> It might make sense to leave TODO still in the file set, but reduce its
> content to a pointer to the wiki page.

Done.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> The new official location for the TODO list is here:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo:Todo

What is it with this strange page naming?  Have we not established some time
ago that the colon is only supposed to be used for metapages?  We kind of
blew this on the commit fest pages, but at least new content should do it
right.  Plus, a URL such as http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo would be a
lot more obvious to find.

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > The new official location for the TODO list is here:
> > http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo:Todo
>
> What is it with this strange page naming?

I agree with your argument.  I think we inherited this name from a very
old attempt to do the conversion, and just didn't worry about it very
much, being too stressed about pleasing Bruce with the new format ;-)

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Plus, a URL such as http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo would be a
> lot more obvious to find.

Moved.  The old name is kept as a redirect.

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

Дата:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Plus, a URL such as http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo would be a
>> lot more obvious to find.

> Moved.  The old name is kept as a redirect.

Pls make doc/TODO match.
        regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> Plus, a URL such as http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo would be a
> >> lot more obvious to find.
>
> > Moved.  The old name is kept as a redirect.
>
> Pls make doc/TODO match.

Done.

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:
> >
> > > Moved.  The old name is kept as a redirect.
> >
> > Pls make doc/TODO match.

The TODO link on the developer page needs to be updated too:
http://www.postgresql.org/developer/

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> The TODO link on the developer page needs to be updated too:
>
>     http://www.postgresql.org/developer/

Done too (and a few other links to the TODO list that are on the
website).

Minor nit: the summer of code page says that the easy items are marked
with a %, but that's no longer true.

Re: [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Albert Cervera i Areny
Дата:
A Dimecres 20 Agost 2008, Alvaro Herrera va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to Brendan Jurd, who spent a lot of effort in creating useful
> Mediawiki templates, we now have moved the TODO list to the Wiki site.
>
> The new official location for the TODO list is here:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo:Todo

Any chance of changing Easier and Done marks to others easier to find by a
simple search with the browser? Maybe [E] and [D] would do. The old list had
the same problem IMHO.

> I hereby kindly request the WWW team to update any references to point
> to the new address; perhaps install a redirection in
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html to the new location.
>
> The move has been approved by Bruce, the current maintainer.  I hope
> that he continues to maintain the new version.
>
> While many details have been sorted out during the move, being a wiki
> there is nothing set in stone.  Feel free to do changes like improve the
> markup or the templates so that things look better (after appropriate
> discussion), but if you intend to make changes like mark items
> completed, add new items, or remove items, please email pgsql-hackers as
> has been Bruce's tradition.
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

Albert Cervera i Areny
http://www.NaN-tic.com

Re: [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

Дата:
Albert Cervera i Areny wrote:
> A Dimecres 20 Agost 2008, Alvaro Herrera va escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks to Brendan Jurd, who spent a lot of effort in creating useful
> > Mediawiki templates, we now have moved the TODO list to the Wiki site.
> >
> > The new official location for the TODO list is here:
> > http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo:Todo
>
> Any chance of changing Easier and Done marks to others easier to find by a
> simple search with the browser? Maybe [E] and [D] would do. The old list had
> the same problem IMHO.

The current idea Brendan has is to use a green circle for easy and a
check mark for done.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Albert Cervera i Areny
Дата:
A Divendres 22 Agost 2008, Bruce Momjian va escriure:
> Albert Cervera i Areny wrote:
> > A Dimecres 20 Agost 2008, Alvaro Herrera va escriure:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Thanks to Brendan Jurd, who spent a lot of effort in creating useful
> > > Mediawiki templates, we now have moved the TODO list to the Wiki site.
> > >
> > > The new official location for the TODO list is here:
> > > http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo:Todo
> >
> > Any chance of changing Easier and Done marks to others easier to find by
> > a simple search with the browser? Maybe [E] and [D] would do. The old
> > list had the same problem IMHO.
>
> The current idea Brendan has is to use a green circle for easy and a
> check mark for done.

That doesn't make it easily searchable. Maybe I'm the only one, but every  now
and then I take a look at it, and there's no fast way of seeing what items
have been done (and marked as easier).

--
Albert Cervera i Areny
http://www.NaN-tic.com

Re: [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

Дата:
Albert Cervera i Areny wrote:
> A Divendres 22 Agost 2008, Bruce Momjian va escriure:
> > Albert Cervera i Areny wrote:
> > > A Dimecres 20 Agost 2008, Alvaro Herrera va escriure:

> > > Any chance of changing Easier and Done marks to others easier to find by
> > > a simple search with the browser? Maybe [E] and [D] would do. The old
> > > list had the same problem IMHO.
> >
> > The current idea Brendan has is to use a green circle for easy and a
> > check mark for done.
>
> That doesn't make it easily searchable. Maybe I'm the only one, but every  now
> and then I take a look at it, and there's no fast way of seeing what items
> have been done (and marked as easier).

That is true, but text like "E" merges into the adjacent words.  Frankly
the puctuation symbols were a good solution, but not as slick as the
bullet/checkmark suggestion.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian escribió:
> Albert Cervera i Areny wrote:

> > That doesn't make it easily searchable. Maybe I'm the only one, but every  now
> > and then I take a look at it, and there's no fast way of seeing what items
> > have been done (and marked as easier).
>
> That is true, but text like "E" merges into the adjacent words.  Frankly
> the puctuation symbols were a good solution, but not as slick as the
> bullet/checkmark suggestion.

They did not merge with the text, but they were not searchable.  May I
suggest using the text "[easy]" and "[done]" instead?  That way, it is
searchable, and they don't merge with the text.

Re: [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera escribió:

> They did not merge with the text, but they were not searchable.  May I
> suggest using the text "[easy]" and "[done]" instead?  That way, it is
> searchable, and they don't merge with the text.

I just made this change.  What I now notice is that both markers are
visually not very different.  I don't know if this is something worth
fussing about.  (Maybe the addition of icons as Brendan was suggesting
would be sufficient visual clue.)

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

Дата:
> The TODO link on the developer page needs to be updated too:
>     http://www.postgresql.org/developer/

Also, is this page still sane?

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo:Contents

If it is, I suggest it be renamed to TodoDetail or some such.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [pgsql-www] [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

Дата:
> Alvaro Herrera escribi�:
>> They did not merge with the text, but they were not searchable.  May I
>> suggest using the text "[easy]" and "[done]" instead?  That way, it is
>> searchable, and they don't merge with the text.

> I just made this change.  What I now notice is that both markers are
> visually not very different.  I don't know if this is something worth
> fussing about.

Perhaps [Easy] and [Done] would look a little more different?  Not sure.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera escribi?:
>
> > They did not merge with the text, but they were not searchable.  May I
> > suggest using the text "[easy]" and "[done]" instead?  That way, it is
> > searchable, and they don't merge with the text.
>
> I just made this change.  What I now notice is that both markers are
> visually not very different.  I don't know if this is something worth
> fussing about.  (Maybe the addition of icons as Brendan was suggesting
> would be sufficient visual clue.)

Looks OK.  The only downside is that reading down the list now has the
easy/done items shifted to the left, but that seems unavoidable.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Albert Cervera i Areny
Дата:
A Divendres 22 Agost 2008, Alvaro Herrera va escriure:
> Alvaro Herrera escribió:
> > They did not merge with the text, but they were not searchable.  May I
> > suggest using the text "[easy]" and "[done]" instead?  That way, it is
> > searchable, and they don't merge with the text.
>
> I just made this change.  What I now notice is that both markers are
> visually not very different.  I don't know if this is something worth
> fussing about.  (Maybe the addition of icons as Brendan was suggesting
> would be sufficient visual clue.)

Thanks. Maybe setting [easy] in orange and [done] in green would solve that
too.

> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

Albert Cervera i Areny
http://www.NaN-tic.com

Re: [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
"Brendan Jurd"
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera escribió:
>
>> They did not merge with the text, but they were not searchable.  May I
>> suggest using the text "[easy]" and "[done]" instead?  That way, it is
>> searchable, and they don't merge with the text.
>
> I just made this change.  What I now notice is that both markers are
> visually not very different.  I don't know if this is something worth
> fussing about.  (Maybe the addition of icons as Brendan was suggesting
> would be sufficient visual clue.)

Based on the feedback so far, I have tried for a "best of both worlds"
approach.  The markers now include icons, which gives us visual
distinctiveness, and I've abbreviated the labels to "[D]" and "[E]",
which makes it very easy to search.

I agreed with Bruce that it was a shame the markers bumped the actual
item text over to the right.  It looked uneven.  So I applied a bit of
CSS-fu and got the markers to appear to the left of the items.  They
now appear in a similar fashion to the bullets in an unordered list.

Cheers,
BJ

Re: [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Дата:
Hi,

While we're on this topic, I think we need put a link at [1] heading
directly to (Official) Todo [2]. What we have ATM is "Unofficial Todo
Detail" that is rather inconsistent. We should rename it to "Todo
Detail". Comments?

[1] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information
[2] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo

--  Euler Taveira de Oliveira http://www.timbira.com/

Re: [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

От
Joshua Drake
Дата:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:28:57 -0300
Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler@timbira.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While we're on this topic, I think we need put a link at [1] heading
> directly to (Official) Todo [2]. What we have ATM is "Unofficial Todo
> Detail" that is rather inconsistent. We should rename it to "Todo
> Detail". Comments?
>
> [1] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information
> [2] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo

To my knowledge we do not have an Official Todo.

Joshua D. Drake

Re: [FINALLY] the TODO list has migrated to Wiki

Дата:
Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While we're on this topic, I think we need put a link at [1] heading
> directly to (Official) Todo [2]. What we have ATM is "Unofficial Todo
> Detail" that is rather inconsistent. We should rename it to "Todo
> Detail". Comments?
>
> [1] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information
> [2] http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo

Agreed, we used to have an official TODO.detail in CVS but that is gone
so I think removing the "Unofficial" word int he title makes sense.

http://enterprisedb.com