Обсуждение: A new take on the foot-gun meme

A new take on the foot-gun meme

Дата:
[ after recovering from choking... ]

Tom "spot" Callaway presents a vivid new image in this line:

> What you're doing is analogous to using a loaded shotgun as a golf club,
> and what you're suggesting is that we take the safety off, because it
> interferes with your golf game.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-June/msg01501.html

So is that a "golf club gun"?
        regards, tom lane

Re: A new take on the foot-gun meme

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:57:03AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> So is that a "golf club gun"?

Maybe a gun club?

A footclub?

A foot-gun that can create 18 holes (36 for professionals)?

Anyway, with recent USian legal rulings, I anticipate we'll have to
stop talking about feet-guns.  People will complain we are interfering
with their right to bare feet.  Or something.

(Apologies, everyone.  I guess I better go have more coffee.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: A new take on the foot-gun meme

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Monday 30 June 2008 00:57:03 Tom Lane wrote:
> [ after recovering from choking... ]
>
> Tom "spot" Callaway presents a vivid new image in this line:
> > What you're doing is analogous to using a loaded shotgun as a golf club,
> > and what you're suggesting is that we take the safety off, because it
> > interferes with your golf game.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-June/msg01501.html
>
> So is that a "golf club gun"?

Careful what you wish for....
http://www.totallyabsurd.com/12gaugegolfclub.htm

--
Robert Treat

Re: A new take on the foot-gun meme

От
Shane Ambler
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:

>> So is that a "golf club gun"?
>>

> Careful what you wish for....
> http://www.totallyabsurd.com/12gaugegolfclub.htm

I reckon they watched Caddyshack (I think that was the one) and thought
they could get the patent before someone actually tried selling them.

I reckon it was Rodney Dangerfield that blew the golf ball down the fairway.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: A new take on the foot-gun meme

От
Gregory Stark
Дата:
"Shane Ambler" <pgsql@Sheeky.Biz> writes:

> Robert Treat wrote:
>
>>> So is that a "golf club gun"?
>>
>> Careful what you wish for....
>> http://www.totallyabsurd.com/12gaugegolfclub.htm
>
> I reckon they watched Caddyshack (I think that was the one) and thought they
> could get the patent before someone actually tried selling them.

Surely a movie counts as "published"!?

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Get trained by Bruce Momjian - ask me about
EnterpriseDB'sPostgreSQL training!

OT: Re: A new take on the foot-gun meme

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
Gregory Stark wrote:

>>> Careful what you wish for....
>>> http://www.totallyabsurd.com/12gaugegolfclub.htm
>>>
>> I reckon they watched Caddyshack (I think that was the one) and thought they
>> could get the patent before someone actually tried selling them.
>>

> Surely a movie counts as "published"!?

No the term is "prior art" leaving the lawyers to bill $400/hour while
they argue over whether or not Caddyshack is "art". Though the movie
might have inspired this:
http://www.rodenator.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2umEFHeo6mw

Looks fun as long as you don't do this:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUKN2432304520080326

Cheers,
Steve

Re: A new take on the foot-gun meme

От
"Gregory Williamson"
Дата:
>>>Careful what you wish for....<br /> > >>> <a
href="http://www.totallyabsurd.com/12gaugegolfclub.htm">http://www.totallyabsurd.com/12gaugegolfclub.htm</a><br/> >
/>> >> could get the patent before someone actually tried selling them.<br /> > >>    <br /> >
theterm is "prior art" leaving the lawyers to bill $400/hour while<br /> > they argue over whether or not Caddyshack
is"art". Though the movie<br /> > might have inspired this:<br /> > <a
href="http://www.rodenator.com/">http://www.rodenator.com/</a><br/> > <a
href="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2386436112453851581">http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2386436112453851581</a><br
href="http://uk.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUKN2432304520080326">http://uk.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUKN2432304520080326</a><br
/><br/> In something of the same vein: <<a
href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4593682.stm">http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4593682.stm</a>>... IMHO
thependejo got what was coming to him, though.<br /><br /> Back to work, but I really appreciate some of the
Thise-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
confidentialand privileged information and must be protected in accordance with those provisions. Any unauthorized
review,use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
byreply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.<br /><br /> (My corporate masters made me say this.)<br
/><br/></font>