Обсуждение: Feature freeze status

Feature freeze status

Дата:
We are down to 12 feature freeze items (240 emails):
http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches

Most are not ready to apply but require feedback to the author.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Feature freeze status

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Bruce,

> We are down to 12 feature freeze items (240 emails):
>
>     http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches
>
> Most are not ready to apply but require feedback to the author.

Yaaay!

Maybe we should make the next commit-fest June 1 to give people some time
off?  And some time to improve the tools?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Feature freeze status

Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > We are down to 12 feature freeze items (240 emails):
> >
> >     http://momjian.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches
> >
> > Most are not ready to apply but require feedback to the author.
>
> Yaaay!
>
> Maybe we should make the next commit-fest June 1 to give people some time
> off?  And some time to improve the tools?

Agreed.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Feature freeze status

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:31:51 -0400 (EDT)
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> > Maybe we should make the next commit-fest June 1 to give people
> > some time off?  And some time to improve the tools?
>
> Agreed.

+1

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Feature freeze status

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Maybe we should make the next commit-fest June 1 to give people some time
> off?  And some time to improve the tools?

I would rather do the commit fests often, to keep the patch queue and
the commit fests short.

Re: Feature freeze status

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
heikki@enterprisedb.com (Heikki Linnakangas) writes:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Maybe we should make the next commit-fest June 1 to give people some
>> time off?  And some time to improve the tools?
>
> I would rather do the commit fests often, to keep the patch queue and
> the commit fests short.

But if it means that the people working on commit fests never get out
of the state of "working on a commit fest," this mayn't look good to
them :-(.

- Giving those that worked hard some time off seems like a nice reward, and

- If we saw the tools actually improve between now and June 1, that would seem like a pretty good deal.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxdatabases.info")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxdistributions.html

Re: Feature freeze status

От
Andrew Dunstan

Chris Browne wrote:
> heikki@enterprisedb.com (Heikki Linnakangas) writes:
>
>> Josh Berkus wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe we should make the next commit-fest June 1 to give people some
>>> time off?  And some time to improve the tools?
>>>
>> I would rather do the commit fests often, to keep the patch queue and
>> the commit fests short.
>>

> But if it means that the people working on commit fests never get out
> of the state of "working on a commit fest," this mayn't look good to
> them :-(.
>
> - Giving those that worked hard some time off seems like a nice
>   reward, and
>
> - If we saw the tools actually improve between now and June 1, that
>   would seem like a pretty good deal.

And, as was rightly pointed out to me a couple of days ago, there is
nothing that says you have to wait for a commitfest to start
reviewing/committing.

cheers

andrew

Re: Feature freeze status

От
Gregory Stark
Дата:
"Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Maybe we should make the next commit-fest June 1 to give people some time
>> off?  And some time to improve the tools?
>
> I would rather do the commit fests often, to keep the patch queue and the
> commit fests short.

Just throwing out a crazy idea. What if we had a commitfest as scheduled at
the start of May but made it a Tom-free commitfest. Specifically to try to
organize a larger work-force rather than to leave it all on Tom's shoulders.
Not that your efforts aren't appreciated but surely you wouldn't mind a break?

I'm thinking we should have a column in the commitfest info "reviewer" and
specifically assign all the patches to someone, preferably distributed over as
wide a list as possible.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's PostGIS support!

Re: Feature freeze status

Дата:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Maybe we should make the next commit-fest June 1 to give people some time
>> off?  And some time to improve the tools?

> Agreed.

I don't agree, not even a little bit.  The reason this fest has been so
long and painful is that the queue had accumulated so much stuff.  If we
slip the fest schedule we just start building up a large queue again.

Better tools would be good, but unless someone commits to producing a
tool that will be ready by June but not by May, that's not a good reason
to slide either.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Feature freeze status

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> Maybe we should make the next commit-fest June 1 to give people some time
> >> off?  And some time to improve the tools?
>
> > Agreed.
>
> I don't agree, not even a little bit.  The reason this fest has been so
> long and painful is that the queue had accumulated so much stuff.  If we
> slip the fest schedule we just start building up a large queue again.
>
> Better tools would be good, but unless someone commits to producing a
> tool that will be ready by June but not by May, that's not a good reason
> to slide either.

Fine with me --- I just wanted to give Tom a break.

http://enterprisedb.com

Re: Feature freeze status

Дата:
> Just throwing out a crazy idea. What if we had a commitfest as scheduled at
> the start of May but made it a Tom-free commitfest. Specifically to try to
> organize a larger work-force rather than to leave it all on Tom's shoulders.
> Not that your efforts aren't appreciated but surely you wouldn't mind a break?

It certainly did seem that Bruce and I were the only ones doing any very
serious amount of work for this fest.  That's not sustainable, folks.

BTW, I hate to keep repeating myself, but *this fest still isn't over*,
and what's left is achieving consensus about some future development
directions --- in particular, most of the remaining items are about
what we want to change in the indexam API and what is our roadmap for
free space map/dead space map/visibility map/etc.  There are plenty of
people on this list who could be contributing useful comments about
those issues.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Feature freeze status

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:05:09 -0400 (EDT)
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> > Better tools would be good, but unless someone commits to producing
> > a tool that will be ready by June but not by May, that's not a good
> > reason to slide either.
>
> Fine with me --- I just wanted to give Tom a break.

We could just ban him from reviewing for a fest :P.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Feature freeze status

От
Magnus Hagander
Tom Lane wrote:
> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> > Just throwing out a crazy idea. What if we had a commitfest as
> > scheduled at the start of May but made it a Tom-free commitfest.
> > Specifically to try to organize a larger work-force rather than to
> > leave it all on Tom's shoulders. Not that your efforts aren't
> > appreciated but surely you wouldn't mind a break?
>
> It certainly did seem that Bruce and I were the only ones doing any
> very serious amount of work for this fest.  That's not sustainable,
> folks.

Agreed. The main reason I didn't manage to do much, if any, reviewing
this time is that everytime I started I had to browse through a
bazillion emails trying to find what to do. By the time I was through
that and had written a comment or two, I had no more time to work on
reviews right then. Next time I got started, I got stuck in the same
cycle. (and yes, that's generally because I haven't had much time to
look at these things at all during this commit-fest).

I know that blaming the tools is just an easy escape and sucks as an
excuse. But I just didn't have the time to work out a way to workaround
the limits of these tools to make it possible for me to get this done.
The new version of the patch queue that's up now seems a lot more
usable than it used to be, but it used to be really horrible :-P

I still plan to do the win32 patch that's listed with my name, BTW.
Just need to get my build environments properly sorted out.

//Magnus