Обсуждение: Need Mentors for Google Summer of Code!

Need Mentors for Google Summer of Code!

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Hackers,

Over the last 2 years, Google Summer of Code has been responsible for
several new features of PostgreSQL: XML, ghost XID, phpPgAdmin upgrade,
and more, as well as some new long-term contributors to the project.  We
want to have an equally good summer this year.

So: we need PostgreSQL contributors to volunteer as mentors.  As
well as the core code, *any* project in the PostgreSQL "family" is
eligible, including drivers, GUIs, documentation, replication,
applications and tools. Don't be shy!  Pass this along to sub-projects of
PostgreSQL which might be eligible.

Mentors must be patient, friendly, easy to stay in touch with,
knowledgeable about their project areas, and able to commit to spending
several hours a week helping their student(s) from May to August.

GSOC is an unparalled opportunity for our project to recruit new
contributors, and get students interested in databases.  We have less than
week to get everything together.  So please respond soon!

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Need Mentors for Google Summer of Code!

От
"Jonah H. Harris"
Дата:
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>  Mentors must be patient, friendly, easy to stay in touch with,
>  knowledgeable about their project areas, and able to commit to spending
>  several hours a week helping their student(s) from May to August.

Unlike last time, I now have a lot more time I can devote to this, so
count me in.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation                | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: Need Mentors for Google Summer of Code!

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Josh,

I'm interested in selectivity functions for FTS, proposed by Jan Urbaski.
In case there will be no available mentors for him, I'd work with him.

Oleg

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Hackers,
>
> Over the last 2 years, Google Summer of Code has been responsible for=20
> several new features of PostgreSQL: XML, ghost XID, phpPgAdmin upgrade,=20
> and more, as well as some new long-term contributors to the project.  We=20
> want to have an equally good summer this year.
>
> So: we need PostgreSQL contributors to volunteer as mentors. =A0As
> well as the core code, *any* project in the PostgreSQL "family" is=20
> eligible, including drivers, GUIs, documentation, replication,=20
> applications and tools. Don't be shy!  Pass this along to sub-projects of=
> =20
> PostgreSQL which might be eligible.
>
> Mentors must be patient, friendly, easy to stay in touch with,
> knowledgeable about their project areas, and able to commit to spending=20
> several hours a week helping their student(s) from May to August.
>
> GSOC is an unparalled opportunity for our project to recruit new
> contributors, and get students interested in databases. =A0We have less tha=
> n=20
> week to get everything together. =A0So please respond soon!
>
> --=20
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL @ Sun
> San Francisco

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: Need Mentors for Google Summer of Code!

От
Jan Urbański
Дата:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Josh,
>
> I'm interested in selectivity functions for FTS, proposed by Jan Urbaski.
> In case there will be no available mentors for him, I'd work with him.
>
> Oleg

Thanks! Today I'll post a more detailed plan on -hackers explaining how
I think I could approach the problem.

Oleg, should I contact you personally to consult the application that
I'm going to submit through the Google web app, or should I just send it
to Google when the gates open and wait for the results?

Regards,
Jan

--
Jan Urbanski
GPG key ID: E583D7D2

ouden estin

Re: Need Mentors for Google Summer of Code!

От
Jan Urbański
Дата:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Josh,
>
> I'm interested in selectivity functions for FTS, proposed by Jan Urbaski.
> In case there will be no available mentors for him, I'd work with him.
>
> Oleg

Thanks! Today I'll post a more detailed plan on -hackers explaining how
I think I could approach the problem.

Oleg, should I contact you personally to consult the application that
I'm going to submit through the Google web app, or should I just send it
to Google when the gates open and wait for the results?

Regards,
Jan

--
Jan Urbanski
GPG key ID: E583D7D2

ouden estin

Re: Need Mentors for Google Summer of Code!

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Jan Urbaski wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> Josh,
>>
>> I'm interested in selectivity functions for FTS, proposed by Jan Urbaski.
>> In case there will be no available mentors for him, I'd work with him.
>>
>> Oleg
>
> Thanks! Today I'll post a more detailed plan on -hackers explaining how I
> think I could approach the problem.
>
> Oleg, should I contact you personally to consult the application that I'm
> going to submit through the Google web app, or should I just send it to
> Google when the gates open and wait for the results?

If it's not late we should have your idea listed on
http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode

> Regards,
> Jan

    Regards,        Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83

Re: Need Mentors for Google Summer of Code!

От
Jan Urbański
Дата:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Jan Urbaski wrote:
>
>> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>>> Josh,
>>>
>>> I'm interested in selectivity functions for FTS, proposed by Jan
>>> Urbaski.
>>> In case there will be no available mentors for him, I'd work with him.
>>>
>>> Oleg
>>
>> Thanks! Today I'll post a more detailed plan on -hackers explaining
>> how I think I could approach the problem.
>>
>> Oleg, should I contact you personally to consult the application that
>> I'm going to submit through the Google web app, or should I just send
>> it to Google when the gates open and wait for the results?
>
> If it's not late we should have your idea listed on
> http://www.postgresql.org/developer/summerofcode

It's kind of there - in the TODO referenced by the summerofcode page:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html#section_19
-> Improve selectivity functions for geometric operators

But maybe it would by nice to update it to read "improve selectivity
functions for text search", or move it to the summerofcode page.

Regards,
Jan

--
Jan Urbanski
GPG key ID: E583D7D2

ouden estin

Re: Need Mentors for Google Summer of Code!

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Jan,

> Oleg, should I contact you personally to consult the application that
> I'm going to submit through the Google web app, or should I just send it
> to Google when the gates open and wait for the results?

Submit it to Google.  We have the ability to update submissions if they need
to be adjusted.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun