Обсуждение: mklink of pg_standby

mklink of pg_standby

От
"Hiroshi Saito"
Дата:
Hi Simon, and Dave,Magnus.

About pg_standby, a link option cause a problem in windows(XP and 2k,2k3).
It is because the call of mklink is needed. Then, they are the new programs of
VISTA and 2008. It is CreateSymbolicLink of API of kernel32.lib is equipped
with mklink.

Therefore, I considered whether it should correspond by the 'Junction' or the 'Hard
Link' this way and that. However, The addition thought that it was not desirable
by the reason of the process of evolution functional pg_standby. A copy function
is no problem. However, I think that it is necessary to write it to a document in
order to avoid a user's confusion. probably, has that no source code corrects.

to Dave,and Magnus.
You can do more honest suggestion.:-)

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: mklink of pg_standby

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 15:36 +0900, Hiroshi Saito wrote:
> Hi Simon, and Dave,Magnus.
>
> About pg_standby, a link option cause a problem in windows(XP and 2k,2k3).
> It is because the call of mklink is needed. Then, they are the new programs of
> VISTA and 2008. It is CreateSymbolicLink of API of kernel32.lib is equipped
> with mklink.
>
> Therefore, I considered whether it should correspond by the 'Junction' or the 'Hard
> Link' this way and that. However, The addition thought that it was not desirable
> by the reason of the process of evolution functional pg_standby. A copy function
> is no problem. However, I think that it is necessary to write it to a document in
> order to avoid a user's confusion. probably, has that no source code corrects.

Hi Hiroshi,

pg_standby uses "mklink" which defaults to creating symbolic links on
Win2003 and Win2008:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/0ce4df22-2dbc-48fc-9c16-b721ae85f8571033.mspx?mfr=true

I think you're referring to the point that "mklink" is not available for
XP and 2k.

The API call you give is limited to Windows Vista and later, so doesn't
really help us get any closer.

If anybody has a suggestion, I'd be happy to implement, though I don't
have a test rig for Windows.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: mklink of pg_standby

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 03:36:29PM +0900, Hiroshi Saito wrote:
> Hi Simon, and Dave,Magnus.
>
> About pg_standby, a link option cause a problem in windows(XP and 2k,2k3).
> It is because the call of mklink is needed. Then, they are the new programs
> of VISTA and 2008. It is CreateSymbolicLink of API of kernel32.lib is
> equipped with mklink.
>
> Therefore, I considered whether it should correspond by the 'Junction' or
> the 'Hard Link' this way and that. However, The addition thought that it
> was not desirable by the reason of the process of evolution functional
> pg_standby. A copy function is no problem. However, I think that it is
> necessary to write it to a document in order to avoid a user's confusion.
> probably, has that no source code corrects.
>
> to Dave,and Magnus.
> You can do more honest suggestion.:-)

Junctions only work for directories, not for files.

In theory, you should be able to use mklink to create a hardlink on
previous versions of Windows, but I'm not sure if it'll work. But we want
symlinks here, not hardlinks, and they are simply not supported on earlier
versions of Windows.

It is alerady documented that it doesn't work on Windows prior to Vista. I
think this is fine. What we could add is a specific version check to
pg_standby to have it emit a "not supported on this windows version" error
if it's not supported. But I think that's overkill - it will still fail,
and it's well documented that it's not *supposed* to work.

//Magnus

Re: mklink of pg_standby

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 07:33:57AM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 15:36 +0900, Hiroshi Saito wrote:
> > Hi Simon, and Dave,Magnus.
> >
> > About pg_standby, a link option cause a problem in windows(XP and 2k,2k3).
> > It is because the call of mklink is needed. Then, they are the new programs of
> > VISTA and 2008. It is CreateSymbolicLink of API of kernel32.lib is equipped
> > with mklink.
> > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363866.aspx
> >
> > Therefore, I considered whether it should correspond by the 'Junction' or the 'Hard
> > Link' this way and that. However, The addition thought that it was not desirable
> > by the reason of the process of evolution functional pg_standby. A copy function
> > is no problem. However, I think that it is necessary to write it to a document in
> > order to avoid a user's confusion. probably, has that no source code corrects.
>
> Hi Hiroshi,
>
> pg_standby uses "mklink" which defaults to creating symbolic links on
> Win2003 and Win2008:
>
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/0ce4df22-2dbc-48fc-9c16-b721ae85f8571033.mspx?mfr=true
>
> I think you're referring to the point that "mklink" is not available for
> XP and 2k.

I assume you actually maen Vista + 2008? Symlinks aren't supported on
Win2k3 AFAIK, and that page certainly says nothing about them. Plus, none
of my 2k3 machines appear to have mklink.exe :-P

//Magnus

Re: mklink of pg_standby

От
"Hiroshi Saito"
Дата:
Hi.

> Junctions only work for directories, not for files.
>
> In theory, you should be able to use mklink to create a hardlink on
> previous versions of Windows, but I'm not sure if it'll work. But we want
> symlinks here, not hardlinks, and they are simply not supported on earlier
> versions of Windows.
>
> It is alerady documented that it doesn't work on Windows prior to Vista. I
> think this is fine. What we could add is a specific version check to
> pg_standby to have it emit a "not supported on this windows version" error
> if it's not supported. But I think that's overkill - it will still fail,
> and it's well documented that it's not *supposed* to work.

Yeah, vote +1:-)
Probably, the equipment which is not Symbolic Link is needed in order
to correspond to XP and 2K. It is hard to use rather than 'SymbolicLink'.
It will be enough if notice are written to a document.

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: mklink of pg_standby

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 10:11:52PM +0900, Hiroshi Saito wrote:
> Hi.

The notice is *alraedy* in the documentation.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/pgstandby.html
has:
"-l will not work on versions of Windows prior to Vista."

//Magnus

Re: mklink of pg_standby

От
"Hiroshi Saito"
Дата:
Hi.

From: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus@hagander.net>

>> Yeah, vote +1:-)
>> Probably, the equipment which is not Symbolic Link is needed in order
>> to correspond to XP and 2K. It is hard to use rather than 'SymbolicLink'.
>> It will be enough if notice are written to a document.
>
> The notice is *alraedy* in the documentation.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/pgstandby.html
> has:
> "-l will not work on versions of Windows prior to Vista."

Ugaa, sorry this noise. , I had overlooked it.