Обсуждение: 8.3 beta timing

8.3 beta timing

Дата:
I think we need another week to get things ready for beta.  I will have
the release notes done mid-week and hopefully we can close out all open
items by the end of the week.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: 8.3 beta timing

Дата:
> I think we need another week to get things ready for beta.

Why?  Other than the lack of release notes, we could wrap on Monday.
        regards, tom lane

Re: 8.3 beta timing

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
> > I think we need another week to get things ready for beta.
>
> Why?  Other than the lack of release notes, we could wrap on Monday.

+1

The full release notes aren't really required for Beta.

We can just say: Here are the main changes in 8.3, please focus your
testing in these areas first. A full set of release notes will be
available here <link> as Beta progresses.

That's actually desirable because we want Beta to test the whole system,
not just the individual parts of it. That way we're more likely to hit
performance regressions and multi-feature integration issues.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: 8.3 beta timing

Tom Lane wrote:
> > I think we need another week to get things ready for beta.
>
> Why?  Other than the lack of release notes, we could wrap on Monday.

OK, Monday is fine.  It seemed to me there were was a lot of activity in
recent days so I wasn't sure everything was nailed down but if others
think we are OK, we must be OK then.

FYI, pgindent is usually run later in the beta process.

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

Re: 8.3 beta timing

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
>>> I think we need another week to get things ready for beta.
>>
>> Why?  Other than the lack of release notes, we could wrap on Monday.

> OK, Monday is fine.  It seemed to me there were was a lot of activity in
> recent days so I wasn't sure everything was nailed down but if others
> think we are OK, we must be OK then.

Well, the only stuff left on the pending-patches page is documentation
issues and the question of what to do about tsearch contrib modules;
neither of those seem to be beta-stoppers, especially not when we have
no commitment from Oleg and Teodor about when they might do something
towards the proposed new module.

I'm not happy with taking still another week's slip for no reason.
If there's some specific task that should be done and we have a
commitment from someone to get it done by a particular time, then
okay, but otherwise it's past time to push this puppy out the door.

> FYI, pgindent is usually run later in the beta process.

Right, that's traditionally a late-in-beta item.
        regards, tom lane

Re: 8.3 beta timing

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
bruce@momjian.us (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> I think we need another week to get things ready for beta.  I will have
> the release notes done mid-week and hopefully we can close out all open
> items by the end of the week.

It's worth noting that Greg Smith has collected release note
information into the wiki; that is hopefully a useful resource for
organizing them topically and such, perhaps even permitting the effort
to get split up a bit...

http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/8.3_Changelog

http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/8.3release
--