Обсуждение: FAQs and Port Status

FAQs and Port Status

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
The various ports and FAQs are fairly confusing, I note.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq/

- AIX FAQ could do with some work, its long with lots of As and not many
Qs, so its hard to understand what its telling you. But it clearly
works, judging by the build farm. Sorry to criticise when there's such a
wealth of detail there.

- HP/UX FAQ mentions rel 7.3 only and there's no build farm result, but
I'm wondering whether some eagle-eyed hacker still uses it, or whether
this port has fallen into disuse?

- IRIX FAQ mentions rel 7.2, which we really ought to mention is not
supported anymore in the FAQ, or remove it.

- MINGW/Windows FAQ claims to be the FAQ for "Native Win32", which is
interesting because the Windows FAQ says that as well...

- QNX FAQ doesn't exist at all; real-time is a thing of the past
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_QNX4.html

- SCO FAQ's title is FAQ for 7.3, then starts with explaining how 8.0
works with UnixWare. I see warthog running HEAD on UnixWare nicely, so
there's some updating required there.

- Solaris FAQ - I found some DTrace docs... cool

It would be just great if we could have a link from the FAQ/Platform
area to the buildfarm, with an encouragement to see for themselves
whether their desired release works well on their chosen platform.
All that grand work should be shouted about...

Many people's questions will be does it work with Linux Flavour X, so we
should send them straight to the buildfarm to answer their own query.

It would be good if the FAQ page could be renamed "FAQ and Port Status"

--
  Simon Riggs

Re: FAQs and Port Status

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
simon@2ndquadrant.com ("Simon Riggs") writes:
> The various ports and FAQs are fairly confusing, I note.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq/
>
> - AIX FAQ could do with some work, its long with lots of As and not
> many Qs, so its hard to understand what its telling you. But it
> clearly works, judging by the build farm. Sorry to criticise when
> there's such a wealth of detail there.

Unfortunately, it has grown organically, adding responses to problems
that we have run into.

It is a bit confusing, but I'm not quite sure what to do to make it
appear more organized, as the issues discussed are fairly independent
of one another.

All I can say is that AIX troubleshooting is quite a circus...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "cbbrowne.com")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/wp.html

Re: FAQs and Port Status

Дата:
Feel free to submit a patch to clean up what you can.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Re: FAQs and Port Status

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 11:52 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Feel free to submit a patch to clean up what you can.

Happy to do so. I just didn't want to tread on the toes of the current
maintainers.

--
  Simon Riggs

Re: FAQs and Port Status

От
Matteo Beccati
Дата:
Bruce Momjian ha scritto:
> Feel free to submit a patch to clean up what you can.
>
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> - IRIX FAQ mentions rel 7.2, which we really ought to mention is not
>> supported anymore in the FAQ, or remove it.

I will probably play with it in my spare time as soon as I get my new
SGI Octane2 working (hopefully soon), and contribute any useful info.

Feel free to remove it for the time being though.

Best regards
--
Matteo Beccati
http://phpadsnew.com

Re: FAQs and Port Status

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
simon@2ndquadrant.com ("Simon Riggs") writes:
> On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 11:52 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Feel free to submit a patch to clean up what you can.
>
> Happy to do so. I just didn't want to tread on the toes of the current
> maintainers.

If you have useful suggestions for the AIX one, I'd be happy to see
it.  I did a browse, as one of the contributors, and it's not clear to
me how to improve it...
--
output = reverse("gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/x.html

Re: [pgsql-www] FAQs and Port Status

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

For an amusing note, there is someone currently working on porting PG to
AmigaAnywhere.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun