Обсуждение: Summer of Code Preparation

Summer of Code Preparation

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

I've been warned that Summer of Code is coming up again soon.  We need to be
ready with proposals which are officially endorsed by the PostgreSQL project.
Which means we need:

a) Projects which could be accomplished in a summer, and
b) Students to do them.

We have one or two weeks to get this together.  Your help is greatly
desired .. and if you're a CS student hacker reading this, drop me a line!

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Summer of Code Preparation

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
If nothing else, any of the 'beginner todo' items are likely
candidates, though I suspect none of them individually are enough
work for an entire summer.

If no one beats me to it, I'll try and compile a list of likely TODOs
for this.

On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:16 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've been warned that Summer of Code is coming up again soon.  We
> need to be
> ready with proposals which are officially endorsed by the
> PostgreSQL project.
> Which means we need:
>
> a) Projects which could be accomplished in a summer, and
> b) Students to do them.
>
> We have one or two weeks to get this together.  Your help is greatly
> desired .. and if you're a CS student hacker reading this, drop me
> a line!
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Summer of Code Preparation

От
"Nathan Buchanan"
Дата:
A list of simpler TODOs would be great. I might be interested in doing something (probably w/o the summer of code because I have a summer job). We'll see after exams finish.

Please post something about where we can find this TODO list when it is available.

Thanks,
Nathan

--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117

Re: Summer of Code Preparation

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Summer of Code projects dont have to revolve around the core project... for
example drupal got like 11 projects last year and bricolage got a few too; I
got a small list of items that could be looked at that are sort of 3rd party
projects, should we attempt to collaborate on putting up a list some place?

Robert Treat

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 11:22, Jim Nasby wrote:
> If nothing else, any of the 'beginner todo' items are likely
> candidates, though I suspect none of them individually are enough
> work for an entire summer.
>
> If no one beats me to it, I'll try and compile a list of likely TODOs
> for this.
>
> On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:16 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I've been warned that Summer of Code is coming up again soon.  We
> > need to be
> > ready with proposals which are officially endorsed by the
> > PostgreSQL project.
> > Which means we need:
> >
> > a) Projects which could be accomplished in a summer, and
> > b) Students to do them.
> >
> > We have one or two weeks to get this together.  Your help is greatly
> > desired .. and if you're a CS student hacker reading this, drop me
> > a line!
> >
> > --
> > Josh Berkus
> > Aglio Database Solutions
> > San Francisco
> >
> > ---------------------------(end of
> >
> >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
>
> --
> Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
> Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
> vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461

Robert Treat

Re: Summer of Code Preparation

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Robert,

> Summer of Code projects dont have to revolve around the core project...
> for example drupal got like 11 projects last year and bricolage got a
> few too; I got a small list of items that could be looked at that are
> sort of 3rd party projects, should we attempt to collaborate on putting
> up a list some place?

Sure, although the important part is to find students.  I'm not sure how we
do that.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Summer of Code Preparation

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Robert,
>
>> Summer of Code projects dont have to revolve around the core project...
>> for example drupal got like 11 projects last year and bricolage got a
>> few too; I got a small list of items that could be looked at that are
>> sort of 3rd party projects, should we attempt to collaborate on putting
>> up a list some place?
>
> Sure, although the important part is to find students.  I'm not sure how we
> do that.

Do we have any professors online?  How about anyone that works for Sun
*wink*, who, I believe, have educational programs that we might be able to
tap into?

----

Re: Summer of Code Preparation

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Apr 5, 2006, at 5:04 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> Sure, although the important part is to find students.  I'm not
>> sure how we
>> do that.
>
> Do we have any professors online?

I'm not one, but I know some. If there is a link with details and
perhaps a list of possible projects, I'll be happy to spread the word.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: Summer of Code Preparation

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
One idea that comes to mind is to come up with a list of popular OSS
projects that we'd like to see add PostgreSQL support and have
students work on those...

As for finding students, I believe a call on -general and -announce
would probably produce results. I know there's some professors on the
lists (most likely to be on -general...)

On Apr 5, 2006, at 4:35 PM, Robert Treat wrote:

> Summer of Code projects dont have to revolve around the core
> project... for
> example drupal got like 11 projects last year and bricolage got a
> few too; I
> got a small list of items that could be looked at that are sort of
> 3rd party
> projects, should we attempt to collaborate on putting up a list
> some place?
>
> Robert Treat
>
> On Wednesday 05 April 2006 11:22, Jim Nasby wrote:
>> If nothing else, any of the 'beginner todo' items are likely
>> candidates, though I suspect none of them individually are enough
>> work for an entire summer.
>>
>> If no one beats me to it, I'll try and compile a list of likely TODOs
>> for this.
>>
>> On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:16 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I've been warned that Summer of Code is coming up again soon.  We
>>> need to be
>>> ready with proposals which are officially endorsed by the
>>> PostgreSQL project.
>>> Which means we need:
>>>
>>> a) Projects which could be accomplished in a summer, and
>>> b) Students to do them.
>>>
>>> We have one or two weeks to get this together.  Your help is greatly
>>> desired .. and if you're a CS student hacker reading this, drop me
>>> a line!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Josh Berkus
>>> Aglio Database Solutions
>>> San Francisco
>>>
>>> ---------------------------(end of
>>> broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 3: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>>
>>>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
>>
>> --
>> Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
>> Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
>> vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461
>>

>> ---------------------------(end of
>> broadcast)---------------------------
>> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>
> --
> Robert Treat
> Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Summer of Code Preparation

От
Jim Nasby
Дата:
 From the main website, hit developers, roadmap and then the TODO
link on that page.

Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                decibel@decibel.org

Re: Summer of Code Preparation

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Jim Nasby wrote:

> One idea that comes to mind is to come up with a list of popular OSS projects
> that we'd like to see add PostgreSQL support and have students work on
> those...

As nice an idea as this is, we'd also need to quickly co-ordinate with
those projects to make sure that there is a semblance of a chance of
having those patches included in their distribution ... I realize that the
Code of Summer program doesn't need a guarantee that the code will be
committed, but if we're going to do something like the above, would rather
see it done for projects that wanted the end results ...

> As for finding students, I believe a call on -general and -announce would
> probably produce results. I know there's some professors on the lists (most
> likely to be on -general...)
>
> On Apr 5, 2006, at 4:35 PM, Robert Treat wrote:
>
>> Summer of Code projects dont have to revolve around the core project... for
>> example drupal got like 11 projects last year and bricolage got a few too;
>> got a small list of items that could be looked at that are sort of 3rd
>> party
>> projects, should we attempt to collaborate on putting up a list some place?
>>
>> Robert Treat
>>
>> On Wednesday 05 April 2006 11:22, Jim Nasby wrote:
>>> If nothing else, any of the 'beginner todo' items are likely
>>> candidates, though I suspect none of them individually are enough
>>> work for an entire summer.
>>>
>>> If no one beats me to it, I'll try and compile a list of likely TODOs
>>> for this.

>>> --
>>> Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
>>> Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
>>> vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461
>>>

>>> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>>
>> --
>> Robert Treat
>> Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

> Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
> Pervasive Software      http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117
> vcard: http://jim.nasby.net/pervasive.vcf       cell: 512-569-9461

----

Re: Summer of Code Preparation

От
"Qingqing Zhou"
Дата:
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote

> Sure, although the important part is to find students.  I'm not sure how
we
> do that.

I noticed two email domains are @mit.edu and @cs.toronto.edu but I am afraid
both of them are not students any more :-)

Regards,
Qingqing

Re: Summer of Code Preparation

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:55:15PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Jim Nasby wrote:
>
> >One idea that comes to mind is to come up with a list of popular OSS
> >projects that we'd like to see add PostgreSQL support and have students
> >work on those...
>
> As nice an idea as this is, we'd also need to quickly co-ordinate with
> those projects to make sure that there is a semblance of a chance of
> having those patches included in their distribution ... I realize that the
> Code of Summer program doesn't need a guarantee that the code will be
> committed, but if we're going to do something like the above, would rather
> see it done for projects that wanted the end results ...

Absolutely, though we can't do that without a list of possibilities
first. People want to start throwing out names? (I can't really think of
any off the top of my head, other than OpenQRM, but I have ulterior
motives for that one so perhaps my vote shouldn't count. :) )

Re: Summer of Code Preparation

От
Patrick Welche
Дата:
On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 06:31:01AM -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:55:15PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Jim Nasby wrote:
> >
> > >One idea that comes to mind is to come up with a list of popular OSS
> > >projects that we'd like to see add PostgreSQL support and have students
> > >work on those...
> >
> > As nice an idea as this is, we'd also need to quickly co-ordinate with
> > those projects to make sure that there is a semblance of a chance of
> > having those patches included in their distribution ... I realize that the
> > Code of Summer program doesn't need a guarantee that the code will be
> > committed, but if we're going to do something like the above, would rather
> > see it done for projects that wanted the end results ...
>
> Absolutely, though we can't do that without a list of possibilities
> first. People want to start throwing out names? (I can't really think of
> any off the top of my head, other than OpenQRM, but I have ulterior
> motives for that one so perhaps my vote shouldn't count. :) )

Was that throw out names for projects? How about Postgres-R for PostgreSQL-8?
Even if nothing comes out of it, both databases and group communications
are excellent CS topics for a student.

Cheers,

Patrick