Обсуждение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from copyrights, and put in standard

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from copyrights, and put in standard

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Remove Jan Wieck's name from copyrights, and put in standard
> boilerplate, with approval of author.

I really don't see why or how this is an improvement.  But if no one
else cares about it, so be it ...

I wonder what would have happened if I had stuck my name in the
autovacuum.c, pg_shdepend.c or multixact.c files (wow, I did really come
up with all that stuff!)  I know Tom hacked extensively on all of them,
so his name would also be there :-)

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from copyrights, and put in standard

Дата:
> I wonder what would have happened if I had stuck my name in the
> autovacuum.c, pg_shdepend.c or multixact.c files

We would have asked you for permission to change it to the standard
project copyright.

The plpgsql and pltcl files date from a time when we weren't paying
much attention to having a consistent copyright notice on all parts
of the source distribution, but now we are.

Seeing that now you're working for a company that depends on the ability
to redistribute the PG code commercially, I would think you'd be all for
making sure that the legalities are nicely lined up.  Do you really want
to dig through the source tree at every release to see whether you can
redistribute all of it?
        regards, tom lane

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from copyrights,

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> Seeing that now you're working for a company that depends on the ability
> to redistribute the PG code commercially, I would think you'd be all for
> making sure that the legalities are nicely lined up.  Do you really want
> to dig through the source tree at every release to see whether you can
> redistribute all of it?

I am not sure, but I think that Alvaro's point is the copyright
doesn't matter in this instance. It is the license that does.

I can't read Alvaro's mind though :).

It is very good to keep everything consistent.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from copyrights, and put in standard

Дата:
> I am not sure, but I think that Alvaro's point is the copyright
> doesn't matter in this instance. It is the license that does.

Certainly, but if the file says "Copyright PostgreSQL Global Development
Group" then it's reasonable to assume that the intended license is the
one in the top COPYRIGHT file.  If the file says copyright someone else
then this requires a bit of a leap of faith.  If the file actually
contains its own license language (as Jan's files did till just now)
then that's unquestionably an independent license that you have to pay
attention to if you're redistributing.

> It is very good to keep everything consistent.

Yup, that's all we're after.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from copyrights, and put in standard

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Thursday 09 March 2006 20:16, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I am not sure, but I think that Alvaro's point is the copyright
> > doesn't matter in this instance. It is the license that does.
>
> Certainly, but if the file says "Copyright PostgreSQL Global Development
> Group" then it's reasonable to assume that the intended license is the
> one in the top COPYRIGHT file.  If the file says copyright someone else
> then this requires a bit of a leap of faith.  If the file actually
> contains its own license language (as Jan's files did till just now)
> then that's unquestionably an independent license that you have to pay
> attention to if you're redistributing.
>
> > It is very good to keep everything consistent.
>
> Yup, that's all we're after.

It would be very good if it wasn't likely to cause more legal trouble than it
will help.  Removing copyrights from actual people to be replaced with a
non-existent legal entity might be construed as eliminating any copyright
claim at all. Even if you could get the global development group recognized
legally as the copyright holder, you've only consolidated things for someone
to attempt to gain ownership of the code.

--
Robert Treat

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from copyrights,

Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thursday 09 March 2006 20:16, Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> writes:
> > > I am not sure, but I think that Alvaro's point is the copyright
> > > doesn't matter in this instance. It is the license that does.
> >
> > Certainly, but if the file says "Copyright PostgreSQL Global Development
> > Group" then it's reasonable to assume that the intended license is the
> > one in the top COPYRIGHT file.  If the file says copyright someone else
> > then this requires a bit of a leap of faith.  If the file actually
> > contains its own license language (as Jan's files did till just now)
> > then that's unquestionably an independent license that you have to pay
> > attention to if you're redistributing.
> >
> > > It is very good to keep everything consistent.
> >
> > Yup, that's all we're after.
> >

> It would be very good if it wasn't likely to cause more legal trouble than it
> will help.  Removing copyrights from actual people to be replaced with a
> non-existent legal entity might be construed as eliminating any copyright
> claim at all. Even if you could get the global development group recognized
> legally as the copyright holder, you've only consolidated things for someone
> to attempt to gain ownership of the code.

With the BSD license, there really isn't any restriction to enforce, so
the copyright owner is pretty meaningless.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
He does make a point ... if there is only one copyright holder, even if
right now its a non-entity, if someone like Oracle came along, *created* a
legal entity called 'The PostgreSQL Global Development Group', they could,
in theory, change the License wihtout needing to get approval from
current/past contributors ...

by retaining accreditation/copyright for those contributing the code, like
other projects do do, then changing the license becomes that much more
difficult ... no?

Example, wu-ftpd:

/****************************************************************************
  Copyright (c) 1999,2000 WU-FTPD Development Group.  All rights reserved.
  Portions Copyright (c) 1980, 1985, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994    The Regents of the University of California.
Portions Copyright (c) 1993, 1994 Washington University in Saint Louis.  Portions Copyright (c) 1996, 1998 Berkeley
SoftwareDesign, Inc.  Portions Copyright (c) 1989 Massachusetts Institute of Technology.  Portions Copyright (c) 1998
Sendmail,Inc.  Portions Copyright (c) 1983, 1995, 1996, 1997 Eric P.  Allman.  Portions Copyright (c) 1997 by Stan
Barber. Portions Copyright (c) 1997 by Kent Landfield.  Portions Copyright (c) 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997
  Free Software Foundation, Inc.

  Use and distribution of this software and its source code are governed  by the terms and conditions of the WU-FTPD
SoftwareLicense ("LICENSE").

  If you did not receive a copy of the license, it may be obtained online  at http://www.wu-ftpd.org/license.html.
  $Id: extensions.c,v 1.48 2000/07/01 18:17:38 wuftpd Exp $

****************************************************************************/

----

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> With the BSD license, there really isn't any restriction to enforce, so
> the copyright owner is pretty meaningless.

if nobody owns the code, then who has to be consulted to change the
license?

----

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from

От
Peter Bierman
Дата:
At 9:18 PM -0500 3/9/06, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>Robert Treat wrote:
>>  On Thursday 09 March 2006 20:16, Tom Lane wrote:
>>  > "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> writes:
>>  > > I am not sure, but I think that Alvaro's point is the copyright
>>  > > doesn't matter in this instance. It is the license that does.
>>  >
>>  > Certainly, but if the file says "Copyright PostgreSQL Global Development
>>  > Group" then it's reasonable to assume that the intended license is the
>>  > one in the top COPYRIGHT file.  If the file says copyright someone else
>>  > then this requires a bit of a leap of faith.  If the file actually
>>  > contains its own license language (as Jan's files did till just now)
>>  > then that's unquestionably an independent license that you have to pay
>>  > attention to if you're redistributing.
>>  >
>>  > > It is very good to keep everything consistent.
>>  >
>>  > Yup, that's all we're after.
>>  >

>>  It would be very good if it wasn't likely to cause more legal
>>trouble than it
>>  will help.  Removing copyrights from actual people to be replaced with a
>>  non-existent legal entity might be construed as eliminating any copyright
>>  claim at all. Even if you could get the global development group recognized
>>  legally as the copyright holder, you've only consolidated things for someone
>>  to attempt to gain ownership of the code.
>
>With the BSD license, there really isn't any restriction to enforce, so
>the copyright owner is pretty meaningless.

IANAL, but as I understand things, it's not possible to disclaim
ownership of something. That's why the BSD license is preferable to
"public domain". In most legal jurisdictions, liability (for
whatever) belongs to the copyright holder. By adding a license,
particularly one as liberal as the BSD license, you're setting rules
for how the code can be used, _and those rules can disclaim
liability_. Essentially, if you take responsibility for something,
you can legally insist that others use it responsibly (and if they
don't, they broke your rules so it's not your fault.)

Again, IANAL, but my $0.02 would be that copyright always stay with
some legal entity, either the individual authors, or some actual
holding company.

Distributed individual copyrights (like the WU-FTPD example) seem to
provide the most protection for preserving the license status quo,
since everyone on the list would have to agree to change it.

OTOH, an LLC or similar entity can shield individual authors from
legal liability. (Though the license itself might be sufficient.)

-pmb

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck`s name from copyrights, and put in standard

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from

От
Tatsuo Ishii
Дата:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Remove Jan Wieck's name from copyrights, and put in standard
> > boilerplate, with approval of author.
>
> I really don't see why or how this is an improvement.  But if no one
> else cares about it, so be it ...
>
> I wonder what would have happened if I had stuck my name in the
> autovacuum.c, pg_shdepend.c or multixact.c files (wow, I did really come
> up with all that stuff!)  I know Tom hacked extensively on all of them,
> so his name would also be there :-)

I wonder why we do not remove copyright notice of UCB at all. It seems
a kind of double standard.

BTW, In my understanding contrib is the exception. As someone has
pointed out, contribs are "second citizen" and maybe are kicked out to
pgfoundry or whatever anytime if people think they are not appropreate
to live there.  In this case the author of the module would not want
to waste of his/her time to rewrite the copyright notice...
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > With the BSD license, there really isn't any restriction to enforce, so
> > the copyright owner is pretty meaningless.
>
> if nobody owns the code, then who has to be consulted to change the
> license?

You can't.  Berkeley keeps the license, and we add ourselves to it.  If
someone else comes along, they can copyright it and add restrictions to
their version.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck`s name from copyrights,

Дата:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
[ There is text before PGP section. ]

> I think everyone realizes at this point that the PGDG is not
> an official legal entity, but do we at least have a modern
> statement from Core as to what it is unofficially? In other
> words, the PostgreSQL Global Development Group is
> composed of ________
>
> My two cents: keep the individual copyrights in, or have each
> person sign a document transferring ownership to some
> other entity. (Just want to point out that MySQL has chosen
> the second option. ;)

MySQL had to because they sell commercial versions that are non-GPL.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>>> With the BSD license, there really isn't any restriction to enforce, so
>>> the copyright owner is pretty meaningless.
>>
>> if nobody owns the code, then who has to be consulted to change the
>> license?
>
> You can't.  Berkeley keeps the license, and we add ourselves to it.  If
> someone else comes along, they can copyright it and add restrictions to
> their version.

'k, but what is wrong with "Portions copyright by ..." added to the
appropriate files?  Why is that "A Bad Thing"?

----

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> >> if nobody owns the code, then who has to be consulted to change the
> >> license?
> >
> > You can't.  Berkeley keeps the license, and we add ourselves to it.  If
> > someone else comes along, they can copyright it and add restrictions to
> > their version.
>
> 'k, but what is wrong with "Portions copyright by ..." added to the
> appropriate files?  Why is that "A Bad Thing"?

Nothing.  I think it is good.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

>> You can't.  Berkeley keeps the license, and we add ourselves to it.  If
>> someone else comes along, they can copyright it and add restrictions to
>> their version.
>
> 'k, but what is wrong with "Portions copyright by ..." added to the
> appropriate files?  Why is that "A Bad Thing"?
It becomes an issue should the license ever become contested.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> 'k, but what is wrong with "Portions copyright by ..." added to the
> appropriate files?  Why is that "A Bad Thing"?

I wouldn't object to "Portions copyright Joe Blow" in addition to the
PGDG copyright notice.  The big problem with the way that the plpgsql
and pltcl files stood was that they also had their own license notices,
which while generally BSD-like were not exactly the same as the top
COPYRIGHT file.  That I think is a seriously bad idea.  We ought to have
one and only one set of license terms for everything in the core
distribution.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck's name from

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> 'k, but what is wrong with "Portions copyright by ..." added to the
>> appropriate files?  Why is that "A Bad Thing"?
>
> I wouldn't object to "Portions copyright Joe Blow" in addition to the
> PGDG copyright notice.  The big problem with the way that the plpgsql
> and pltcl files stood was that they also had their own license notices,
> which while generally BSD-like were not exactly the same as the top
> COPYRIGHT file.  That I think is a seriously bad idea.  We ought to have
> one and only one set of license terms for everything in the core
> distribution.

re: license ... agreed

----

Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove Jan Wieck`s name from copyrights, and put in standard

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
> I think everyone realizes at this point that the PGDG is not
> an official legal entity, but do we at least have a modern
> statement from Core as to what it is unofficially? In other
> words, the PostgreSQL Global Development Group is
> composed of ________

Under international copyright law, the copyright is held by the authors
of the work, no matter what you write into a copyright notice, if any.
The only purpose of the copyright notices under discussion here is to
notify the recipient of the file that this file belongs to the
PostgreSQL source code, the authors of the code claim to have
copyright, and you should check the license before doing anything
further.

--
Peter Eisentraut