Обсуждение: Copyright

Copyright

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
I have been noticing that the copyright is wrong on many files (2005)...
Do we have a utility to update the copyright?

Re: Copyright

Дата:
> I have been noticing that the copyright is wrong on many files (2005)...
> Do we have a utility to update the copyright?

We update those strings at major releases.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Copyright

От
mark@mark.mielke.cc
Дата:
Sorry... deleted the post I am responding to too quickly...

The question was whether there was a program to bring the files up to date.

Why? The code was written, and copyrighted, at the time that it was
submitted. Unless the code has been completely re-written, the original
copyright date applies.

After all - you wouldn't want somebody to say that PostgreSQL copied
them, because the date was later, would you? :-)

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________
 One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all                      and in the darkness
bindthem...

                          http://mark.mielke.cc/

Re: Copyright

От
Matteo Beccati
Дата:
Mark,

> After all - you wouldn't want somebody to say that PostgreSQL copied
> them, because the date was later, would you? :-)

I think it won't be hard to understand what "Copyright (c) 1996-2006"
means ;)

Best regards
--
Matteo Beccati
http://phpadsnew.com

Re: Copyright

От
mark@mark.mielke.cc
Дата:
On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 12:02:19PM +0100, Matteo Beccati wrote:
> >After all - you wouldn't want somebody to say that PostgreSQL copied
> >them, because the date was later, would you? :-)
> I think it won't be hard to understand what "Copyright (c) 1996-2006"
> means ;)

Maybe... but if it hasn't changed...

Of course, that whole line has no legal value in North America anyways...

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________
 One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all                      and in the darkness
bindthem...

                          http://mark.mielke.cc/

Re: Copyright

Дата:
mark@mark.mielke.cc wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 12:02:19PM +0100, Matteo Beccati wrote:
> > >After all - you wouldn't want somebody to say that PostgreSQL copied
> > >them, because the date was later, would you? :-)
> > I think it won't be hard to understand what "Copyright (c) 1996-2006"
> > means ;)
>
> Maybe... but if it hasn't changed...
>
> Of course, that whole line has no legal value in North America anyways...

The file is /src/tools/copyright.  We don't re-run it for minor releases
because there are almost no changes in minor releases.  If we did run
it, it would change a lot of code for little purpose.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com

Re: Copyright

Дата:
> The file is /src/tools/copyright.  We don't re-run it for minor releases
> because there are almost no changes in minor releases.  If we did run
> it, it would change a lot of code for little purpose.

It might make sense to run it once a year in early January, rather than
tying the update to releases.  In any case we'd only run it on CVS HEAD
--- I agree that updating the notices in the back branches would just
cause code churn.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Copyright

Tom Lane wrote:
> > The file is /src/tools/copyright.  We don't re-run it for minor releases
> > because there are almost no changes in minor releases.  If we did run
> > it, it would change a lot of code for little purpose.
>
> It might make sense to run it once a year in early January, rather than
> tying the update to releases.  In any case we'd only run it on CVS HEAD
> --- I agree that updating the notices in the back branches would just
> cause code churn.

Right.  I usually do run it earlier in the year, but was delayed this
time.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us SRA OSS, Inc.   http://www.sraoss.com