Обсуждение: Re: [pgsql-www] Upcoming PG re-releases

Re: [pgsql-www] Upcoming PG re-releases

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
Someone suggested earlier that we should drop the binaries for
nonsupported versions completely from the ftp site. Thoughts on this?

If not, they should at least go into OLD as well. But personally, I'm
for dropping them completely. If you're on something that old (heck, we
have 7.0 binaries..), you can still build from source.

Speaking of which, any reason not to drop the 8.1 beta win32 binaries?

//Magnus

"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
'k, moved it all into OLD as well ... haven't removed anything until more
opt in on this ... I do agree that if you really want that old, you can
build from scratch, but I'm also not the one that went to the trouble of
building the binaries :)

----

Re: [pgsql-www] Upcoming PG re-releases

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 13:33, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Someone suggested earlier that we should drop the binaries for
> nonsupported versions completely from the ftp site. Thoughts on this?
>
> If not, they should at least go into OLD as well. But personally, I'm
> for dropping them completely. If you're on something that old (heck, we
> have 7.0 binaries..), you can still build from source.

I'm against the idea... the cost for us is minimal, and the hassle
involved in building from source is quite large.

Robert Treat

Re: [pgsql-www] Upcoming PG re-releases

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 13:33, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Someone suggested earlier that we should drop the binaries for
>> nonsupported versions completely from the ftp site. Thoughts on this?
>>
>> If not, they should at least go into OLD as well. But personally, I'm
>> for dropping them completely. If you're on something that old (heck, we
>> have 7.0 binaries..), you can still build from source.
>>

> I'm against the idea... the cost for us is minimal, and the hassle
> involved in building from source is quite large.

I don't have a need for an old PG binary. But when I have needed really
old binaries it's always been in the middle of the night, in front of a
machine with a teletype terminal, in the dark, surrounded by wolves
while a timer ticks into the red... Locating the right versions of 17
different libraries and compiling from source is always my second choice.

If it's practical to keep them, I'd like to suggest doing so. If it's
not practical, could we have a where_to_find_old_versions.txt file and
open a project on sourceforge to keep them?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: [pgsql-www] Upcoming PG re-releases

От
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Дата:
--- Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> escreveu:

> If it's practical to keep them, I'd like to suggest doing so. If it's
> not practical, could we have a where_to_find_old_versions.txt file
> and
> open a project on sourceforge to keep them?

What about an museum.postgresql.org to keep the old releases?

Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler[at]yahoo_com_br

http://br.yahoo.com/homepageset.html

Re: [pgsql-www] Upcoming PG re-releases

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Am Donnerstag, 1. Dezember 2005 11:35 schrieb Euler Taveira de Oliveira:
> What about an museum.postgresql.org to keep the old releases?

That gave me a good laugh, but there is something to be said about moving all
no longer supported releases (according to the criteria that are being
discussed) to an unmirrored site, say, archive.postgresql.org.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: [pgsql-www] Upcoming PG re-releases

От
Csaba Nagy
Дата:
Maybe "mausoleum" would be even better name :-D

Cheers,
Csaba.

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 11:35, Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
> --- Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> escreveu:
>
> > If it's practical to keep them, I'd like to suggest doing so. If it's
> > not practical, could we have a where_to_find_old_versions.txt file
> > and
> > open a project on sourceforge to keep them?
> >
> What about an museum.postgresql.org to keep the old releases?
>

> Euler Taveira de Oliveira
> euler[at]yahoo_com_br

Re: [pgsql-www] Upcoming PG re-releases

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
Csaba Nagy wrote:
> Maybe "mausoleum" would be even better name :-D

Come on people, it's clearly: elephants-graveyard.postgresl.org

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd

Re: [pgsql-www] Upcoming PG re-releases

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 1. Dezember 2005 11:35 schrieb Euler Taveira de Oliveira:
>> What about an museum.postgresql.org to keep the old releases?
>
> That gave me a good laugh, but there is something to be said about moving all
> no longer supported releases (according to the criteria that are being
> discussed) to an unmirrored site, say, archive.postgresql.org.

That would be fairly trivial ... let me add it to the 'todo list' ... I
take it that it would be safe to relegate the /pub/source/OLD stuff there
too?

----