Обсуждение: SMP buffer management test question

SMP buffer management test question

От
lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca
Дата:
There was a mention of a "context-swap-storm" test in the posts on the ARC
patent. Where might I obtain a copy of this test procedure?

Thanks

lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca

Re: SMP buffer management test question

Дата:
lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca writes:
> There was a mention of a "context-swap-storm" test in the posts on the ARC
> patent. Where might I obtain a copy of this test procedure?

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-04/msg00280.php

(The archiver seems to have lost the message's separation into parts,
but the "setup" script is the part down through the checkpoint command.)

Read the whole thread for context.
        regards, tom lane

Re: SMP buffer management test question

От
lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca
Дата:
Thanks

Well I tried it out and on OS/2 using 8.0 it has the same problems as on
Linux, with two clients running on a dual PIII 750 both CPUs go to 100%
and the system is madly switching between the two processes. With a
single client, about 35% CPU is used.

Should the new buffer manager patch eliminate this behaviour? That is what
I gathered from the discussions.

Lorne

In <15517.1108926080@sss.pgh.pa.us>, on 02/20/05   at 02:01 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> said:

>lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca writes:
>> There was a mention of a "context-swap-storm" test in the posts on the ARC
>> patent. Where might I obtain a copy of this test procedure?

>http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-04/msg00280.php

>(The archiver seems to have lost the message's separation into parts, but
>the "setup" script is the part down through the checkpoint command.)

>Read the whole thread for context.

>            regards, tom lane

>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca

Re: SMP buffer management test question

Дата:
lsunley@mb.sympatico.ca writes:
> Well I tried it out and on OS/2 using 8.0 it has the same problems as on
> Linux, with two clients running on a dual PIII 750 both CPUs go to 100%
> and the system is madly switching between the two processes. With a
> single client, about 35% CPU is used.

> Should the new buffer manager patch eliminate this behaviour?

It does for me ...
        regards, tom lane