Обсуждение: 7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...

7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Please review them to make sure they look already ...

Dave, I've changed the symlink's as well ...

Will announce everything publicly around 4am GMT tonight (midnight my
time) to give ~10hrs for the rest to propogate out ...

----

Re: 7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...

От
"Dave Page"

/pub/src/v8.0.1 is missing :-(

Regards, Dave.

Re: 7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...

Дата:
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> /pub/src/v8.0.1 is missing :-(

Why do we even have individual symlinks in pub/src?  Seems to me we
could replace the whole src directory with a symlink to source, and
eliminate one bit of release bookkeeping ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: 7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...

От
"Dave Page"

For some reason we have

/pub/source/vX.X.X/

And

/pub/src/X.X.X

Note the missing v on the second. I dunno why we have both - did some
bad URLs get advertised at some point? If that's the case, perhaps we
could get rid of one set now. All the v8 announcements pointed to the
websites ftp browser, so I doubt anyone is likely to miss one set of
symlinks.

Regards,Dave.

Re: 7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
fixed

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

----

Re: 7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
>> /pub/src/v8.0.1 is missing :-(
>
> Why do we even have individual symlinks in pub/src?  Seems to me we
> could replace the whole src directory with a symlink to source, and
> eliminate one bit of release bookkeeping ...

the symlinks wre to make Peter happy ... he didn't like the 'v' in the
directory name, so we make the src directory that has 'non-v'd symlinks :)

And yes, that is the *only* reason there is a src directory ...

----

Re: 7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...

От
"Dave Page"

Urgh. No offence to Peter, but I think it's a helluva lot messier having
all those symlinks. Not to mention the binary/ dir which doesn't have a
non-v'ified bin/X.X.X equivalent. Can we lose /src and just keep /source
and /binary (personally I don't care whether or not we keep the v's on
the subdirs)?

It probably causes a lot of bandwidth to be wasted as well - I recently
found a mirror site that was mirroring the entire ftp ste using about 20
simultaneous ftp connections. I'll bet that didn't copy the symlinks as
symlinks and instead grabbed all the files again, each time it tried to
'sync'. I barred that particular site in the ftpd conf, but there could
be others of course.

Regards, Dave

Re: 7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...

От
Peter Eisentraut
Dave Page wrote:
> Urgh. No offence to Peter, but I think it's a helluva lot messier
> having all those symlinks.

That wasn't my idea.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: 7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
So do I get rid of the src directory altogether then, since apparently
nobody likes, or wants, it? :)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Dave Page wrote:
>> Urgh. No offence to Peter, but I think it's a helluva lot messier
>> having all those symlinks.
>
> That wasn't my idea.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut
> http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

----

Re: 7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...

От
"Dave Page"

Fine with me. It'll reduce the number of webpages built on svr2 somewhat
as well :-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: 7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> So do I get rid of the src directory altogether then, since
> apparently nobody likes, or wants, it? :)

Sure.

Just to recap, I believe my complaint at the time was that release
announcements and the like were inconsistent regarding the version
names (not anymore, I think).  But having duplicate directories on the
FTP server really doesn't help that. :)

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: 7.2.7 -> 8.0.1 Bundles Ready ...