Обсуждение: French site with postgresql name

French site with postgresql name

От
Dennis Bjorklund
Дата:
Some french guy on IRC showed the site http://www.postgresql.fr/ that does
not contain anything about postgresql. I don't speak french so I can't
tell what the page is about. It looks linux related.

This doesn't really belong on the -hackers list but I don't know where to
send the info or even if someone cares about it at all.

--- some time later ---

It turns out that the to me unknown french guy I was chatting with, was
in fact Gaetano Mendola but with a new irc nick (and I've cc:ed him).

--
/Dennis Björklund

Re: French site with postgresql name

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
Hello Dennis,

> Some french guy on IRC showed the site http://www.postgresql.fr/ that does
> not contain anything about postgresql. I don't speak french so I can't
> tell what the page is about. It looks linux related.
>
> This doesn't really belong on the -hackers list but I don't know where to
> send the info or even if someone cares about it at all.

The .fr names are now available for all. It changes from the previous
situation where you had to be a company and could only register the name
of that company.

I sent a mail to the person that did it as told by "whois", to ask about
his motivation. I do not expect much.

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho@cri.ensmp.fr

Re: French site with postgresql name

От
Fabien COELHO
Дата:
> Some french guy on IRC showed the site http://www.postgresql.fr/ that does
> not contain anything about postgresql. I don't speak french so I can't
> tell what the page is about. It looks linux related.

After a small investigation, it appears that the company that owns the
"postgresql.fr" domain wants to "promote" free softwares in France, among
which postgresql.

That is the aim of their site. There could be in some future some page
that should describe pros and cons about various free softwares, after
they tested them.

Well, why not?

I told the guy he should make it clear on such a page that it is not the
"main" and "legitimate" postgresql site. I also told him he could get in
touch with Marc Fournier, who appears to own "postgresql.org", for more
information.

Have a nice day.

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho@cri.ensmp.fr