Обсуждение: 8.1 development cycle (was a couple of other threads ;))

8.1 development cycle (was a couple of other threads ;))

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Hello,

On a slightly different note in regards to the development
cycle. I am authoring a new book and it would be helpful
to know the approximate completion of the dev cycle.

If the dev cycle is going to be really short, are we expecting
a more traditional 12-16 month 8.2?

Re: 8.1 development cycle (was a couple of other threads

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On a slightly different note in regards to the development
> cycle. I am authoring a new book and it would be helpful
> to know the approximate completion of the dev cycle.
>
> If the dev cycle is going to be really short, are we expecting
> a more traditional 12-16 month 8.2?

That seems to be the norm ... my feel for discussions so far is that 8.1's
focus is going to be primarily replacing ARC, and anything else that might
slip in ...

----

Re: 8.1 development cycle (was a couple of other threads

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On a slightly different note in regards to the development
>> cycle. I am authoring a new book and it would be helpful
>> to know the approximate completion of the dev cycle.
>>
>> If the dev cycle is going to be really short, are we expecting
>> a more traditional 12-16 month 8.2?
>

> That seems to be the norm ... my feel for discussions so far is that
> 8.1's focus is going to be primarily replacing ARC, and anything else
> that might slip in ...

So are we looking at a 8.1 in June and a 8.2 in say August of 2006?

Or something else?

I know that it is hard to completely pin these things down but it would
be really
helpful :)

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

> your

Re: 8.1 development cycle (was a couple of other threads

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> On a slightly different note in regards to the development
>>> cycle. I am authoring a new book and it would be helpful
>>> to know the approximate completion of the dev cycle.
>>>
>>> If the dev cycle is going to be really short, are we expecting
>>> a more traditional 12-16 month 8.2?
>>

>> That seems to be the norm ... my feel for discussions so far is that 8.1's
>> focus is going to be primarily replacing ARC, and anything else that might
>> slip in ...
>
> So are we looking at a 8.1 in June and a 8.2 in say August of 2006?

I'd say that was a safe bet ... 8.1, we're looking at a 4 month dev/beta
cycle, so end of May, start of Junefor release ... based on current
trends, I'd say following June for beta of 8.2, and then "however long"
after that for release, so between Aug and Nov :)

----

TIP9

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
> TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose
> an index scan if your

sorry for using this list, but is not time to change
this TIP for something more suitable to the new PG8
capabilities?

regards,
Jaime Casanova

Re: TIP9

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Jaime Casanova wrote:

>>TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose
>>an index scan if your
>>      joining column's datatypes do not match
>>

>Hi,
>
>sorry for using this list, but is not time to change
>this TIP for something more suitable to the new PG8
>capabilities?

Is this still not the case for pg8? I know it is better
about casting in general for use with int8 etc... but don't the
column datatypes still have to match?

>regards,
>Jaime Casanova

>Información de Estados Unidos y América Latina, en Yahoo! Noticias.
>Visítanos en http://noticias.espanol.yahoo.com

Re: TIP9

От
Jaime Casanova
Дата:
 --- "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>
escribió:
> Jaime Casanova wrote:
>
> >>TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to
> choose
> >>an index scan if your
> >>      joining column's datatypes do not match
> >>

> >Hi,
> >
> >sorry for using this list, but is not time to
> change
> >this TIP for something more suitable to the new PG8
> >capabilities?
> >

> Is this still not the case for pg8? I know it is
> better
> about casting in general for use with int8 etc...
> but don't the
> column datatypes still have to match?

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-11/msg00497.php
???
regards,
Jaime Casanova

Re: 8.1 development cycle (was a couple of other threads

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
> So are we looking at a 8.1 in June and a 8.2 in say August of 2006?
>
> Or something else?
>
> I know that it is hard to completely pin these things down but it would
> be really
> helpful :)

I really don't know why this short dev cycle thing keeps coming back...  People don't want to upgrade their major
productiondatabase servers

every 6 months.  It'll be 6 months at my work before we move off 7.4,
and that's only because they have a reasonable postgres expert onsite
(me)...

Chris

Re: 8.1 development cycle (was a couple of other threads

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Sunday 23 January 2005 05:23, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > So are we looking at a 8.1 in June and a 8.2 in say August of 2006?
> >
> > Or something else?
> >
> > I know that it is hard to completely pin these things down but it would
> > be really
> > helpful :)
>
> I really don't know why this short dev cycle thing keeps coming back...
>   People don't want to upgrade their major production database servers
> every 6 months.  It'll be 6 months at my work before we move off 7.4,
> and that's only because they have a reasonable postgres expert onsite
> (me)...

Because there is a strong desire to get rid of ARC ASAP.  Which I am
comfortable with IF there is an agreement that 8.1 wont require an initdb.  I
certainly can't take down my production servers for the amount of time needed
for dump/reload, so if that is going to be required then I'm sure we'll not
do an upgrade until 8.1 is released, and I'd imagine a lot of others would
fall into this as well.

--
Robert Treat

Re: 8.1 development cycle (was a couple of other threads

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Sunday 23 January 2005 05:23, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>>> So are we looking at a 8.1 in June and a 8.2 in say August of 2006?
>>>
>>> Or something else?
>>>
>>> I know that it is hard to completely pin these things down but it would
>>> be really
>>> helpful :)
>>
>> I really don't know why this short dev cycle thing keeps coming back...
>>   People don't want to upgrade their major production database servers
>> every 6 months.  It'll be 6 months at my work before we move off 7.4,
>> and that's only because they have a reasonable postgres expert onsite
>> (me)...
>>

> Because there is a strong desire to get rid of ARC ASAP.  Which I am
> comfortable with IF there is an agreement that 8.1 wont require an initdb.  I
> certainly can't take down my production servers for the amount of time needed
> for dump/reload, so if that is going to be required then I'm sure we'll not
> do an upgrade until 8.1 is released, and I'd imagine a lot of others would
> fall into this as well.

Agreed, but there is also a fair amount of ppl that won't upgraded to 8.0
in the first place, and will wait for the first 8.1, and if we can keep
that cycle short enough, waiting the few extra months will be alot easier
for them ...

----