Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Scheduale

PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Scheduale

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Just to keep everyone in the loop at what we are looking at right now.

RC4          - Packaged tonight, Announced Friday AM
Full Release - Packaged Monday Night, PR/Announce Tuesday AM

If *anyone* is sitting on something, plesae let us know ASAP ... I'm
planning on packaging up RC4 tonight around 1am GMT (around 9pm my time,
around 5pm Josh's (Pacific) time, if I recall my time zone's correctly)

----

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Scheduale

От
"Magnus Hagander"
Дата:
>Just to keep everyone in the loop at what we are looking at right now.
>
>RC4          - Packaged tonight, Announced Friday AM
>Full Release - Packaged Monday Night, PR/Announce Tuesday AM
>
>If *anyone* is sitting on something, plesae let us know ASAP ... I'm
>planning on packaging up RC4 tonight around 1am GMT (around
>9pm my time,
>around 5pm Josh's (Pacific) time, if I recall my time zone's correctly)

As long as the APPDATA-files-on-win32 is finished off, I'm fine. Seems
Tom is on that right now, so I don't doubti t will be.

Just a thought - considering it's just a weekend in between, isn't the
time between RC4 and release a little bit on the shortside? I mean, not
a lot of people will have time to test it "for real" in that time...
While there aren't any large changes, it never hurts to be on the safe
side?
(Remember - there is always a bit of a delay before packagers pick it
up. I know there is at least for the MSI package for windows, but I'm
sure there also is for RPM etc. So people running off those will have
even less time to test..)
I'm definitly not saying drag this out a long time, but perhaps two more
days or so?

//Magnus

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Scheduale

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
> Just a thought - considering it's just a weekend in between, isn't the
> time between RC4 and release a little bit on the shortside? I mean, not
> a lot of people will have time to test it "for real" in that time...
> While there aren't any large changes, it never hurts to be on the safe
> side?
> (Remember - there is always a bit of a delay before packagers pick it
> up. I know there is at least for the MSI package for windows, but I'm
> sure there also is for RPM etc. So people running off those will have
> even less time to test..)
> I'm definitly not saying drag this out a long time, but perhaps two more
> days or so?

Why not just release rc4 and wait a week. Then 8.0 would be released
next friday.

> //Magnus

Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Scheduale

Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >Just to keep everyone in the loop at what we are looking at right now.
> >
> >RC4          - Packaged tonight, Announced Friday AM
> >Full Release - Packaged Monday Night, PR/Announce Tuesday AM
> >
> >If *anyone* is sitting on something, plesae let us know ASAP ... I'm
> >planning on packaging up RC4 tonight around 1am GMT (around
> >9pm my time,
> >around 5pm Josh's (Pacific) time, if I recall my time zone's correctly)
>
> As long as the APPDATA-files-on-win32 is finished off, I'm fine. Seems
> Tom is on that right now, so I don't doubti t will be.
>
> Just a thought - considering it's just a weekend in between, isn't the
> time between RC4 and release a little bit on the shortside? I mean, not
> a lot of people will have time to test it "for real" in that time...
> While there aren't any large changes, it never hurts to be on the safe
> side?
> (Remember - there is always a bit of a delay before packagers pick it
> up. I know there is at least for the MSI package for windows, but I'm
> sure there also is for RPM etc. So people running off those will have
> even less time to test..)
> I'm definitly not saying drag this out a long time, but perhaps two more
> days or so?

I agree Magnus has a point here.  We just did major changes for Win32
configuration file locations and it seems it is a mistake to not have
sufficient time for testing and to see if something else comes up.

I think we should shoot for the end of next week.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Scheduale

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> Just to keep everyone in the loop at what we are looking at right now.
>>>
>>> RC4          - Packaged tonight, Announced Friday AM
>>> Full Release - Packaged Monday Night, PR/Announce Tuesday AM
>>>
>>> If *anyone* is sitting on something, plesae let us know ASAP ... I'm
>>> planning on packaging up RC4 tonight around 1am GMT (around
>>> 9pm my time,
>>> around 5pm Josh's (Pacific) time, if I recall my time zone's correctly)
>>
>> As long as the APPDATA-files-on-win32 is finished off, I'm fine. Seems
>> Tom is on that right now, so I don't doubti t will be.
>>
>> Just a thought - considering it's just a weekend in between, isn't the
>> time between RC4 and release a little bit on the shortside? I mean, not
>> a lot of people will have time to test it "for real" in that time...
>> While there aren't any large changes, it never hurts to be on the safe
>> side?
>> (Remember - there is always a bit of a delay before packagers pick it
>> up. I know there is at least for the MSI package for windows, but I'm
>> sure there also is for RPM etc. So people running off those will have
>> even less time to test..)
>> I'm definitly not saying drag this out a long time, but perhaps two more
>> days or so?
>
> I agree Magnus has a point here.  We just did major changes for Win32
> configuration file locations and it seems it is a mistake to not have
> sufficient time for testing and to see if something else comes up.
>
> I think we should shoot for the end of next week.

I'm the last person to argue against delaying to get it right :)  But, if
we are going to delay to end of week, why not just make it a Sun package,
Mon release, so that Josh et al can get the best bang for the PR/release
announcement?

----

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Scheduale

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

> I'm the last person to argue against delaying to get it right :)  But,
> if we are going to delay to end of week, why not just make it a Sun
> package, Mon release, so that Josh et al can get the best bang for the
> PR/release announcement?

I think that we would then want a tuesday release. It is my experience
that Monday releases don't get much exposure... people are trying to
catch up after the weekend.

However I do like the theory :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Scheduale

От
Michael Glaesemann
Дата:
On Jan 7, 2005, at 15:44, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> I'm the last person to argue against delaying to get it right :)
>> But, if we are going to delay to end of week, why not just make it a
>> Sun package, Mon release, so that Josh et al can get the best bang
>> for the PR/release announcement?
>>
> I think that we would then want a tuesday release. It is my experience
> that Monday releases don't get much exposure... people are trying to
> catch up after the weekend.

Having the release earlier in the week also means there will probably
be more people online to quickly respond to any issues that arise with
the release. Then again, it also means its more likely more people will
be exposed to any such issues as well. Weighing the two, I'd think
former is preferable to the latter. (Not that there'll be any issues
anyway :)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Scheduale

От
Thomas Hallgren
Дата:
Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> Having the release earlier in the week also means there will probably be
> more people online to quickly respond to any issues that arise with the
> release. Then again, it also means its more likely more people will be
> exposed to any such issues as well. Weighing the two, I'd think former
> is preferable to the latter. (Not that there'll be any issues anyway :)

The spirit of the expression "Friday afternoon car" translated to
Swedish would be captured by "Måndagsexemplar" (made on a monday), since
we consider things made on Mondays to have a particular bad quality.
Don't know why really, perhaps we've forgotten that weekends are for
rest and recreation :-)

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Release Scheduale

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> I agree Magnus has a point here.  We just did major changes for Win32
>> configuration file locations and it seems it is a mistake to not have
>> sufficient time for testing and to see if something else comes up.
>>
>> I think we should shoot for the end of next week.

> I'm the last person to argue against delaying to get it right :)  But, if
> we are going to delay to end of week, why not just make it a Sun package,
> Mon release, so that Josh et al can get the best bang for the PR/release
> announcement?

I think those were actually quite minor changes and are already fully
tested ;-).  I see no need to slip a week for it.

If there had been significant changes between RC3 and RC4 then I would
agree we need a full week; but in practice the testing that was done on
RC3 counts too.  So I think we are fine with release next week rather
than the week after.  And I for one want to get this sucker out the
door...
        regards, tom lane