Обсуждение: Beta Leader?

Beta Leader?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

Per our discussion earlier this year, I really think that we could shorten the
beta process and make it more effective if someone can step forward to be the
"8.0 Beta Leader."   This person would have to:
1) track platform tests, namely which platforms have been tested, what they
reported, and which have not, including soliciting on the lists for more
platform testers;
2) track reported bugs and issues to make sure that they are reported resolved
before release.

It's not a huge task, but too big for me since I need to get started on the
Press Release and translations this week.  Does anyone have time?   Just a
little organization could make a big difference.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Beta Leader?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Per our discussion earlier this year, I really think that we could
> shorten the beta process and make it more effective if someone can
> step forward to be the "8.0 Beta Leader."   This person would have
> to:
> 1) track platform tests, namely which platforms have been tested,
> what they reported, and which have not, including soliciting on the
> lists for more platform testers;
> 2) track reported bugs and issues to make sure that they are reported
> resolved before release.

Bruce has always done these things and there are no indications that he
won't do them again.  In particular, platform tests will as usual be
called for later in the beta phase, and the list of open items is
frequently posted.  Is there anything else?

Nevertheless, I think that shortening the beta phase is something that
we cannot and should not do.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Beta Leader?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 13:57, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Per our discussion earlier this year, I really think that we could
> > shorten the beta process and make it more effective if someone can
> > step forward to be the "8.0 Beta Leader."   This person would have
> > to:
> > 1) track platform tests, namely which platforms have been tested,
> > what they reported, and which have not, including soliciting on the
> > lists for more platform testers;
> > 2) track reported bugs and issues to make sure that they are reported
> > resolved before release.
>
> Bruce has always done these things and there are no indications that he
> won't do them again.  In particular, platform tests will as usual be
> called for later in the beta phase, and the list of open items is
> frequently posted.  Is there anything else?
>
> Nevertheless, I think that shortening the beta phase is something that
> we cannot and should not do.

Well, we cannot shorten it just for the sake of shortening it, but we
need to try to keep things from "stalling". A number of people mentioned
that at times last year it seemed that nothing was going on with
7.4beta, so we need to try and stay cognizant of actual activity going
on. Not sure if it requires a person with a title, but as a general goal
I think it is something we would benefit from.

Robert Treat

Re: Beta Leader?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Per our discussion earlier this year, I really think that we could shorten the
> beta process and make it more effective if someone can step forward to be the
> "8.0 Beta Leader."   This person would have to:
> 1) track platform tests, namely which platforms have been tested, what they
> reported, and which have not, including soliciting on the lists for more
> platform testers;
> 2) track reported bugs and issues to make sure that they are reported resolved
> before release.
>
> It's not a huge task, but too big for me since I need to get started on the
> Press Release and translations this week.  Does anyone have time?   Just a
> little organization could make a big difference.

Is there a reason why Bruce isn't doing it like he has for all previous
releases?  As he previously held such a role, shouldn't it be he calling
for someone to take over that role from him?

----

Re: Beta Leader?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Marc,

> Is there a reason why Bruce isn't doing it like he has for all previous
> releases?  As he previously held such a role, shouldn't it be he calling
> for someone to take over that role from him?

Clearly I was confused about the import of a discussion we had on Core, some 3
months ago or so, about this topic.  Please forget I said anything.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: Beta Leader?

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> >
> > Per our discussion earlier this year, I really think that we could shorten the
> > beta process and make it more effective if someone can step forward to be the
> > "8.0 Beta Leader."   This person would have to:
> > 1) track platform tests, namely which platforms have been tested, what they
> > reported, and which have not, including soliciting on the lists for more
> > platform testers;
> > 2) track reported bugs and issues to make sure that they are reported resolved
> > before release.
> >
> > It's not a huge task, but too big for me since I need to get started on the
> > Press Release and translations this week.  Does anyone have time?   Just a
> > little organization could make a big difference.
>
> Is there a reason why Bruce isn't doing it like he has for all previous
> releases?  As he previously held such a role, shouldn't it be he calling
> for someone to take over that role from him?

I am happy for someone else to do it, of course, anytime.  I will be
traveling September 5 - October 7 so while I can still do it, having
someone else do it would help.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Beta Leader?

От
elein
Дата:
This is the kind of thing I can usually help with.
However, right now I'm a little swamped with customer work.
I can back someone up, though.

--elein

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 06:28:33PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > Per our discussion earlier this year, I really think that we could shorten the
> > > beta process and make it more effective if someone can step forward to be the
> > > "8.0 Beta Leader."   This person would have to:
> > > 1) track platform tests, namely which platforms have been tested, what they
> > > reported, and which have not, including soliciting on the lists for more
> > > platform testers;
> > > 2) track reported bugs and issues to make sure that they are reported resolved
> > > before release.
> > >
> > > It's not a huge task, but too big for me since I need to get started on the
> > > Press Release and translations this week.  Does anyone have time?   Just a
> > > little organization could make a big difference.
> >
> > Is there a reason why Bruce isn't doing it like he has for all previous
> > releases?  As he previously held such a role, shouldn't it be he calling
> > for someone to take over that role from him?
>
> I am happy for someone else to do it, of course, anytime.  I will be
> traveling September 5 - October 7 so while I can still do it, having
> someone else do it would help.

Re: Beta Leader?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Monday 09 August 2004 13:15, Josh Berkus wrote:
> 1) track platform tests, namely which platforms have been tested, what they
> reported, and which have not, including soliciting on the lists for more
> platform testers;

I wonder, would folks be interested in keeping a "supported programs" list as
well?  People could download various packages that they use regularly (Horde,
DCL, OpenACS,etc..) that connect to postgresql, verify that the programs
still work with 8.0, and then either report success or failure to the
appropriate parties.  I mention this because I seem to recall some
application developers being caught off-gaurd by changes made in 7.4 since
thier apps were never tested against the 7.4 beta.   We could certainly
devote some wiki space on techdocs for such a listing if folks thought it
would be worth it.

--
Robert Treat
Build A Better Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL