Обсуждение: Preliminary PITR documentation available

Preliminary PITR documentation available

Дата:
People have been complaining (not without reason) that without any
documentation they can hardly test the new PITR code.  I have hacked
up and committed some rough docs that should be enough for testing.
They're on-line now at
http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/backup-online.html
and should within a few hours be visible at
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/backup-online.html
(but right now the latter page contains only an introductory blurb).
        regards, tom lane

Re: Preliminary PITR documentation available

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
> People have been complaining (not without reason) that without any
> documentation they can hardly test the new PITR code.  I have hacked
> up and committed some rough docs that should be enough for testing.
> They're on-line now at
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/backup-online.html
> and should within a few hours be visible at
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/backup-online.html
> (but right now the latter page contains only an introductory blurb).

I love this:

"The ability to restore the database to a previous point in time creates
some complexities that are akin to science-fiction stories about time
travel and parallel universes."

Awesome :)

Chris

Re: Preliminary PITR documentation available

Дата:
I thought Simon was going to give us some docs for PITR.  Did he or did
you have to write up your own?

Tom Lane wrote:
> People have been complaining (not without reason) that without any
> documentation they can hardly test the new PITR code.  I have hacked
> up and committed some rough docs that should be enough for testing.
> They're on-line now at
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/backup-online.html
> and should within a few hours be visible at
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/backup-online.html
> (but right now the latter page contains only an introductory blurb).
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19073

Re: Preliminary PITR documentation available

Дата:
> I love this:

> "The ability to restore the database to a previous point in time creates
> some complexities that are akin to science-fiction stories about time
> travel and parallel universes."

Well, the code *works* but I'm not entirely sure how to explain the
feature.  These are just rough docs ... feel free to step up and do
better ...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Preliminary PITR documentation available

От
markir@coretech.co.nz
Дата:
Certainly gave me a chuckle. Technical documentation with humour...now the
product has *everything*.

Mark

Quoting Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:

> Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
> > I love this:
>
> > "The ability to restore the database to a previous point in time creates
> > some complexities that are akin to science-fiction stories about time
> > travel and parallel universes."
>
> Well, the code *works* but I'm not entirely sure how to explain the
> feature.  These are just rough docs ... feel free to step up and do
> better ...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: Preliminary PITR documentation available

От
Mike Mascari
Дата:
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

>> People have been complaining (not without reason) that without any
>> documentation they can hardly test the new PITR code.  I have hacked
>> up and committed some rough docs that should be enough for testing.
>> They're on-line now at
>> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/backup-online.html
>> and should within a few hours be visible at
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/backup-online.html
>> (but right now the latter page contains only an introductory blurb).
>
> I love this:
>
> "The ability to restore the database to a previous point in time creates
> some complexities that are akin to science-fiction stories about time
> travel and parallel universes."

Is it science-fiction, or just relativity?

Mike Mascari

Re: Preliminary PITR documentation available

От
"Matthew D. Fuller"
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:27:35PM -0400 I heard the voice of
Mike Mascari, and lo! it spake thus:
> Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>
> >"The ability to restore the database to a previous point in time creates
> >some complexities that are akin to science-fiction stories about time
> >travel and parallel universes."
>
> Is it science-fiction, or just relativity?

Depends on how fast you read it.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net

"The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is because I     haven't figured out how to light the middle yet"