Обсуждение: upper() / lower() regression test case needed?

upper() / lower() regression test case needed?

От
mike g
Дата:
Hello,

Going through the regress test sql files I noticed that when testing
string functions there was no upper / lower case tests.

I see upper / lower being used in the select_having and select_implicit
files in the GROUP BY and ORDER BY clauses.

Good enough or should I submit patch for adding these test cases to
strings.sql?

Mike

Re: upper() / lower() regression test case needed?

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
Seems like a reasonable thing to submit.

Chris

mike g wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Going through the regress test sql files I noticed that when testing
> string functions there was no upper / lower case tests.
>
> I see upper / lower being used in the select_having and select_implicit
> files in the GROUP BY and ORDER BY clauses.
>
> Good enough or should I submit patch for adding these test cases to
> strings.sql?
>
> Mike

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: upper() / lower() regression test case needed?

Дата:
> Seems like a reasonable thing to submit.

I thought it would be a waste of time (both human and mechanical).
The existing usage of upper/lower in the regression tests is plenty
to detect basic problems.  As for advanced problems, the only
interesting aspect of upper/lower is locale-dependent behavior, which
the main regression tests are singularly unsuited to test for.

It might be interesting to expand src/test/locale/, but that stuff
needs far more work than just addition of upper/lower tests ...
        regards, tom lane