Обсуждение: Bison 1.875 for SuSE Linux 8.1?

Bison 1.875 for SuSE Linux 8.1?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Folks,

I can't seem to find a Bison 1.875 RPM for a SuSE 8.1 machine I can't afford
to upgrade right now.   Does such an animal exist?  Help!

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: Bison 1.875 for SuSE Linux 8.1?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Josh Berkus writes:

> I can't seem to find a Bison 1.875 RPM for a SuSE 8.1 machine I can't afford
> to upgrade right now.   Does such an animal exist?  Help!

Install it from source if you cannot find a package.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Bison 1.875 for SuSE Linux 8.1?

От
Andrew Dunstan

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Josh Berkus writes:
>

>>I can't seem to find a Bison 1.875 RPM for a SuSE 8.1 machine I can't afford
>>to upgrade right now.   Does such an animal exist?  Help!
>>

>Install it from source if you cannot find a package.

or build from an SRPM - the dependencies are quite modest, I believe

cheers

andrew

Re: Bison 1.875 for SuSE Linux 8.1?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Peter,

> > I can't seem to find a Bison 1.875 RPM for a SuSE 8.1 machine I can't
afford
> > to upgrade right now.   Does such an animal exist?  Help!
>
> Install it from source if you cannot find a package.

Hmmm ... still getting the "Bison Too Old" warning message.  How can I tell
where Postgres is looking for Bison?

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: Bison 1.875 for SuSE Linux 8.1?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Josh Berkus writes:

> Hmmm ... still getting the "Bison Too Old" warning message.  How can I tell
> where Postgres is looking for Bison?

checking for bison... bison -y                     ^^^^^
I tells you right there.

If you installed from source into /usr/local/bin and you have an older
version in /usr/bin, you may need to run 'hash -r' or 'rehash' to make the
shell forget about the old installation in the path.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Bison 1.875 for SuSE Linux 8.1?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Peter,

> If you installed from source into /usr/local/bin and you have an older
> version in /usr/bin, you may need to run 'hash -r' or 'rehash' to make the
> shell forget about the old installation in the path.

Yeah, that was it.  Thanks!

(I predict that we're going to get many more questions about Bison after we
release 7.4, since many major Linux distros don't yet include 1.875)

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: Bison 1.875 for SuSE Linux 8.1?

От
Philip Yarra
Дата:
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:43 am, Josh Berkus wrote:
> (I predict that we're going to get many more questions about Bison after we
> release 7.4, since many major Linux distros don't yet include 1.875)

You only need bison if you are building from CVS - tarballs include the bison
output files (AFAIK - correct me if I am mistaken anyone).

Regards, Philip.

Re: Bison 1.875 for SuSE Linux 8.1?

Дата:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> (I predict that we're going to get many more questions about Bison after we
> release 7.4, since many major Linux distros don't yet include 1.875)

No, because it only matters to people who build from a CVS pull instead
of using a tarball.  I'd think most of the people in the first category
have already dealt with the issue...
        regards, tom lane

Re: Bison 1.875 for SuSE Linux 8.1?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
TOm,

> No, because it only matters to people who build from a CVS pull instead
> of using a tarball.  I'd think most of the people in the first category
> have already dealt with the issue...

Really?   'cause I got the warning from the Beta4 tarball.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco

Re: Bison 1.875 for SuSE Linux 8.1?

Дата:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> No, because it only matters to people who build from a CVS pull instead
>> of using a tarball.  I'd think most of the people in the first category
>> have already dealt with the issue...

> Really?   'cause I got the warning from the Beta4 tarball.

If you mean the configure warning, sure, but the build won't fail.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Bison 1.875 for SuSE Linux 8.1?

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Peter,
>

>>>I can't seem to find a Bison 1.875 RPM for a SuSE 8.1 machine I can't
>>>

>afford
>

>>>to upgrade right now.   Does such an animal exist?  Help!
>>>

>>Install it from source if you cannot find a package.
>>

>Hmmm ... still getting the "Bison Too Old" warning message.  How can I tell
>where Postgres is looking for Bison?

I got the same problem when I upgraded my SuSE 8.1. Try "which bison" to
locate it; usually, SuSE will install in /usr/bin, while packages
installed from source will install to /usr/local/bin, so the older bison
would take precedence.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Bison 1.875 for SuSE Linux 8.1?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Tom,

> > Really?   'cause I got the warning from the Beta4 tarball.
>
> If you mean the configure warning, sure, but the build won't fail.

Might I suggest changing the wording in the final release, then?  The warning
sure looked dangerous; I aborted the build and went looking for bison 1.875
binaries.   We should let people know that the warning is non-fatal so they
don't repeat my experience.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Bison 1.875 for SuSE Linux 8.1?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Josh Berkus writes:

> Might I suggest changing the wording in the final release, then?  The warning
> sure looked dangerous;

It only looks dangerous to those who don't actually read the full text of
the message.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net