Обсуждение: Wednesday beta postponed till Thursday

Wednesday beta postponed till Thursday

Дата:
It seems some junior electrician in Panama pulled the wrong circuit
breaker ... and then the mail.postgresql.org server spent an
unreasonable number of hours fsck'ing.  (Why is Marc a FreeBSD fan
anyway?  Don't ask me, I work for Red Hat.)  Anyhow, due to the loss
of project communications for today, it seems best to put off tomorrow's
intended 7.4beta4 release for a day.  We'll plan Thursday instead.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wednesday beta postponed till Thursday

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
Just use FreeBSD 5 - background fsck.

Chris

Tom Lane wrote:

> It seems some junior electrician in Panama pulled the wrong circuit
> breaker ... and then the mail.postgresql.org server spent an
> unreasonable number of hours fsck'ing.  (Why is Marc a FreeBSD fan
> anyway?  Don't ask me, I work for Red Hat.)  Anyhow, due to the loss
> of project communications for today, it seems best to put off tomorrow's
> intended 7.4beta4 release for a day.  We'll plan Thursday instead.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: Wednesday beta postponed till Thursday

Дата:
> Just use FreeBSD 5 - background fsck.

Apparently Marc doesn't think FreeBSD 5 is stable enough to use yet.

(Having lit the touchpaper, I shall now retire to a safe distance ;-))
        regards, tom lane

Re: Wednesday beta postponed till Thursday

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
>Apparently Marc doesn't think FreeBSD 5 is stable enough to use yet.
>
>(Having lit the touchpaper, I shall now retire to a safe distance ;-))

Well now I have to get into this ;). I would like to offer some lighter
fluid
and state that this wouldn't have been a problem if we were using
RH-9 with Ext3 (or XFS).

Joshua Drake

>            regards, tom lane

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC - S/JDBC
Postgresql support, programming, shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
PostgreSQL.Org - Editor-N-Chief - http://www.postgresql.org

Re: Wednesday beta postponed till Thursday

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Just use FreeBSD 5 - background fsck.

Trust me, I'm soooooo looking forward to 5.x to be rated 'stable enough
for a production server' .. I spent a good portion of yesterday aft
chatting on the -current mailng list about how slow fsck was :(

I run 5.x on the computers here in the office, and have had the occasional
"freak reboot", so she's not quite there yet ... hopefully in the spring I
can take some time to start migrating over to it ...

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au> writes:
> > Just use FreeBSD 5 - background fsck.
>
> Apparently Marc doesn't think FreeBSD 5 is stable enough to use yet.

Trust me, if I felt confident enough with it, we'd already be moved ...
after Xmas, hopefully be able to start with it ... *cross fingers*
They've done some major re-writes of the SMP code to improve performance
that I'd love to get running ...

Re: Wednesday beta postponed till Thursday

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> It seems some junior electrician in Panama pulled the wrong circuit
> breaker ... and then the mail.postgresql.org server spent an
> unreasonable number of hours fsck'ing.  (Why is Marc a FreeBSD fan
> anyway?  Don't ask me, I work for Red Hat.)  Anyhow, due to the loss
> of project communications for today, it seems best to put off tomorrow's
> intended 7.4beta4 release for a day.  We'll plan Thursday instead.

Hey Jim!?  What does this big red switch do?
@#$% NO CARRIER