Обсуждение: Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

От
"Dave Page"

I hammered the betas on a couple of test boxes running Windows XP and
.NET Server of various (pre)releases and found it to be rock solid,
performing comparably to my Linux based systems. The Cygwin version fell
over quite quickly under the same tests.

I'll admit my methods were not particularly scientific, but over the
last few weeks I've had far more grief from DB2 and SQL Server than I
did from the PostgreSQL native betas.

Regards, Dave.

Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

От
Vince Vielhaber
> > The only assumption I see being made here is this:
> >
> > "I believe that the port, as submitted, can be used as an
> > industrial-strength solution."
> >
> > I see no evidence to support this claim.  If you have this
> > evidence, feel free to share it with the rest of us.
>
> I hammered the betas on a couple of test boxes running Windows XP and
> .NET Server of various (pre)releases and found it to be rock solid,
> performing comparably to my Linux based systems. The Cygwin version fell
> over quite quickly under the same tests.
>
> I'll admit my methods were not particularly scientific, but over the
> last few weeks I've had far more grief from DB2 and SQL Server than I
> did from the PostgreSQL native betas.

hammering the betas is a far cry from an "industrial-strength solution".

Vince.
-- Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!  http://www.pop4.net/  http://www.meanstreamradio.com
http://www.unknown-artists.com       Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.

Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

Дата:
"Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> I'll admit my methods were not particularly scientific, but over the
> last few weeks I've had far more grief from DB2 and SQL Server than I
> did from the PostgreSQL native betas.

My gripe had to do with questioning the reliability of the platform, not
of the Postgres port ;-).

Aside from load testing as suggested by Vince, I'd be interested to hear
what happens when you pull the power cord under load (repeatedly).  This
would give some evidence about the robustness of the Windows filesystem
and its ability to emulate Unix sync semantics.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

От
Ron Mayer
Дата:
Cool irony in the automated .sig on the mailinglist software...

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> hammering the betas is a far cry from an "industrial-strength solution".
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Sounds like you're basically saying is
  _do_ 'kill -9' the postmaster...

and make sure it recovers gracefully when testing for an "industrial-
strength solution".

  Ron

Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Ron Mayer wrote:

> Cool irony in the automated .sig on the mailinglist software...
>
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > hammering the betas is a far cry from an "industrial-strength solution".
>
> Sounds like you're basically saying is
>
>    _do_ 'kill -9' the postmaster...
>
> and make sure it recovers gracefully when testing for an "industrial-
> strength solution".

Not what I said at all.