Обсуждение: Re: [GENERAL] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Yep, that's them. This is a big win from a PostgreSQL advocacy position,
especially since oracle pr made an official statement against the use of
PostgreSQL. Has this info hit any of the linux oriented news sites
(linux-today, slashdot, etc...) If not someone from the PostgreSQL
marketing dept. (wink wink) should come up with a press release.

Robert Treat

----- Original Message -----
From: "David De Graff" <postgresql@awarehouse.com>
To: <pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org>; <pgsql-admin@postgresql.org>;
<pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 3:42 PM
Subject: [GENERAL] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

> The Internet Society (ISOC) won the bid to replace Verisign as the
.org
> registry. They're going to subcontract to Afilias, who has been
running the
> .info registry.
>
> See:
> http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-14oct02.htm
> http://www.afilias.info/about_afilias/dotorg/index_html
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23669-2002Oct14.html
>
> Is this the same group that recently asked for input on their
proposal,
> which specified Postgres as the registry database?
>
> (For some reason I can't find the recent thread on their proposal on
the
> hackers, general or admin lists.)
>
> Dave De Graff

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
It's on Slashdot, but there's only one post there that mentions the use of
Postgresql.

On 14 Oct 2002, Robert Treat wrote:

> Yep, that's them. This is a big win from a PostgreSQL advocacy position,
> especially since oracle pr made an official statement against the use of
> PostgreSQL. Has this info hit any of the linux oriented news sites
> (linux-today, slashdot, etc...) If not someone from the PostgreSQL
> marketing dept. (wink wink) should come up with a press release.
>
> Robert Treat

Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Monday 14 October 2002 04:08 pm, Robert Treat wrote:
> Yep, that's them. This is a big win from a PostgreSQL advocacy position,
> especially since oracle pr made an official statement against the use of
> PostgreSQL. Has this info hit any of the linux oriented news sites
> (linux-today, slashdot, etc...) If not someone from the PostgreSQL
> marketing dept. (wink wink) should come up with a press release.

I have submitted a story to LinuxToday.  We'll see how that goes.  Anyone want
to take on Slashdot? :-)
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> Yep, that's them. This is a big win from a PostgreSQL advocacy position,
> especially since oracle pr made an official statement against the use of
> PostgreSQL. Has this info hit any of the linux oriented news sites
> (linux-today, slashdot, etc...) If not someone from the PostgreSQL
> marketing dept. (wink wink) should come up with a press release.

Yes, this is a huge win, and something for our advocacy site, and for
the main PostgreSQL page too.  Vince?

Pennsylvania19073

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
> Yep, that's them. This is a big win from a PostgreSQL advocacy position,
> especially since oracle pr made an official statement against the use of
> PostgreSQL. Has this info hit any of the linux oriented news sites
> (linux-today, slashdot, etc...) If not someone from the PostgreSQL
> marketing dept. (wink wink) should come up with a press release.
>
> Robert Treat

Don't worry about Oracle, they don't need real customers. Their database
market consists of a healthy balance of real and fictitious people. See
http://slashdot.org/articles/02/04/17/179252.shtml?tid=98

Regards,Jeff Davis

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

От
Karl DeBisschop
Дата:
On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 16:14, scott.marlowe wrote:
> It's on Slashdot, but there's only one post there that mentions the use of
> Postgresql.
>
> On 14 Oct 2002, Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > Yep, that's them. This is a big win from a PostgreSQL advocacy position,
> > especially since oracle pr made an official statement against the use of
> > PostgreSQL. Has this info hit any of the linux oriented news sites
> > (linux-today, slashdot, etc...) If not someone from the PostgreSQL
> > marketing dept. (wink wink) should come up with a press release.

Anybody have a link where I can find the /. or the Oracle statement?

--
Karl

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

От
Mike Mascari
Дата:
Karl DeBisschop wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 16:14, scott.marlowe wrote:
>
>>It's on Slashdot, but there's only one post there that mentions the use of
>>Postgresql.
>>
>>On 14 Oct 2002, Robert Treat wrote:
>>

>>>Yep, that's them. This is a big win from a PostgreSQL advocacy position,
>>>especially since oracle pr made an official statement against the use of
>>>PostgreSQL. Has this info hit any of the linux oriented news sites
>>>(linux-today, slashdot, etc...) If not someone from the PostgreSQL
>>>marketing dept. (wink wink) should come up with a press release.
>>

> Anybody have a link where I can find the /. or the Oracle statement?

Here's the Oracle statement:

http://forum.icann.org/org-eval/gartner-report/msg00000.html

Hope that helps,

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com

Re: [GENERAL] Postgres-based system to run .org registry?

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
The slashdot article: