Обсуждение: contrib/ltree for 7.2 or 7.3 ?

contrib/ltree for 7.2 or 7.3 ?

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
We are about to submit brand bew contrib/ltree module
(first draft of documetation is available from
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/)
and I have a question what version to submit - 7.2 or 7.3 ?
We have tested the module with 7.2 and have a patch for 7.3.
Probably better to submit version for 7.3 development and
have archive for 7.2.
Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: contrib/ltree for 7.2 or 7.3 ?

Дата:
Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> We are about to submit brand bew contrib/ltree module
> (first draft of documetation is available from
> http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/)
> and I have a question what version to submit - 7.2 or 7.3 ?

7.3.  There are unlikely to be any more 7.2 releases, and in any
case they would be bugfixes only, no new features.
        regards, tom lane

Re: contrib/ltree for 7.2 or 7.3 ?

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> > We are about to submit brand bew contrib/ltree module
> > (first draft of documetation is available from
> > http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/)
> > and I have a question what version to submit - 7.2 or 7.3 ?
>
> 7.3.  There are unlikely to be any more 7.2 releases, and in any
> case they would be bugfixes only, no new features.

OK. We've got documentation written and the module could be downloaded
from http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/ltree.tar.gz
It's works with current CVS and there is patch.72 within the archive,
so people could use it with 7.2 release.

I've attached text version of documentation, it's about 16Kb, sorry for that.
HTML version is available from http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/

Also, we prepared test data based on DMOZ catalog (about 300,000 nodes)
and encourage people to play with queries.

One known issue: It'll not works with 64-bit OS. We'll certainly fix this
but will appreciate if somebody with access to 64-bit machine could help us.
It's known problem with byte-alignment.

>             regards, tom lane

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: contrib/ltree for 7.2 or 7.3 ?

Дата:

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> > > We are about to submit brand bew contrib/ltree module
> > > (first draft of documetation is available from
> > > http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/)
> > > and I have a question what version to submit - 7.2 or 7.3 ?
> >
> > 7.3.  There are unlikely to be any more 7.2 releases, and in any
> > case they would be bugfixes only, no new features.
>
> OK. We've got documentation written and the module could be downloaded
> from http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/ltree.tar.gz
> It's works with current CVS and there is patch.72 within the archive,
> so people could use it with 7.2 release.
>
> I've attached text version of documentation, it's about 16Kb, sorry for that.
> HTML version is available from http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/
>
> Also, we prepared test data based on DMOZ catalog (about 300,000 nodes)
> and encourage people to play with queries.
>
> One known issue: It'll not works with 64-bit OS. We'll certainly fix this
> but will appreciate if somebody with access to 64-bit machine could help us.
> It's known problem with byte-alignment.
>

> >             regards, tom lane
> >

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19026

Re: contrib/ltree for 7.2 or 7.3 ?

Дата:
Patch applied.  Thanks.

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jul 2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> > > We are about to submit brand bew contrib/ltree module
> > > (first draft of documetation is available from
> > > http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/)
> > > and I have a question what version to submit - 7.2 or 7.3 ?
> >
> > 7.3.  There are unlikely to be any more 7.2 releases, and in any
> > case they would be bugfixes only, no new features.
>
> OK. We've got documentation written and the module could be downloaded
> from http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/ltree.tar.gz
> It's works with current CVS and there is patch.72 within the archive,
> so people could use it with 7.2 release.
>
> I've attached text version of documentation, it's about 16Kb, sorry for that.
> HTML version is available from http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/
>
> Also, we prepared test data based on DMOZ catalog (about 300,000 nodes)
> and encourage people to play with queries.
>
> One known issue: It'll not works with 64-bit OS. We'll certainly fix this
> but will appreciate if somebody with access to 64-bit machine could help us.
> It's known problem with byte-alignment.
>

> >             regards, tom lane
> >

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Pennsylvania19026

Re: contrib/ltree for 7.2 or 7.3 ?

Дата:
> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> One known issue: It'll not works with 64-bit OS. We'll certainly fix this
>> but will appreciate if somebody with access to 64-bit machine could help us.

Actually, it dumps core instantly on 32-bit machines too, if they are
pickier about alignment than Intel hardware is.  You can't map
structures onto char[] arrays that start at odd byte offsets and not
expect trouble.

I also do not trust macros like this:

typedef struct {int32    len;uint16    numlevel;char    data[1];
} ltree;

#define LTREE_HDRSIZE    ( sizeof(int32) + sizeof(uint16) )

because they take no account of the possibility of padding between fields.
        regards, tom lane

Re: contrib/ltree for 7.2 or 7.3 ?

От
Teodor Sigaev
>>>One known issue: It'll not works with 64-bit OS. We'll certainly fix this
>>>but will appreciate if somebody with access to 64-bit machine could help us.
>>

> Actually, it dumps core instantly on 32-bit machines too, if they are
> pickier about alignment than Intel hardware is.  You can't map
> structures onto char[] arrays that start at odd byte offsets and not
> expect trouble.
>
> I also do not trust macros like this:
>
> typedef struct {
>     int32    len;
>     uint16    numlevel;
>     char    data[1];
> } ltree;
>
> #define LTREE_HDRSIZE    ( sizeof(int32) + sizeof(uint16) )
>
> because they take no account of the possibility of padding between fields.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Teodor Sigaev
teodor@stack.net

Re: contrib/ltree for 7.2 or 7.3 ?

Дата:
Folks, has this been fixed?

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> >> One known issue: It'll not works with 64-bit OS. We'll certainly fix this
> >> but will appreciate if somebody with access to 64-bit machine could help us.
>
> Actually, it dumps core instantly on 32-bit machines too, if they are
> pickier about alignment than Intel hardware is.  You can't map
> structures onto char[] arrays that start at odd byte offsets and not
> expect trouble.
>
> I also do not trust macros like this:
>
> typedef struct {
>     int32    len;
>     uint16    numlevel;
>     char    data[1];
> } ltree;
>
> #define LTREE_HDRSIZE    ( sizeof(int32) + sizeof(uint16) )
>
> because they take no account of the possibility of padding between fields.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19026

Re: contrib/ltree for 7.2 or 7.3 ?

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Folks, has this been fixed?

Bruce, you already did apply patches which fixed this issue :-)

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > Actually, it dumps core instantly on 32-bit machines too, if they are
> > pickier about alignment than Intel hardware is.  You can't map
> > structures onto char[] arrays that start at odd byte offsets and not
> > expect trouble.
> >
> > I also do not trust macros like this:
> >
> > typedef struct {
> >     int32    len;
> >     uint16    numlevel;
> >     char    data[1];
> > } ltree;
> >
> > #define LTREE_HDRSIZE    ( sizeof(int32) + sizeof(uint16) )
> >
> > because they take no account of the possibility of padding between fields.
> >
> >             regards, tom lane

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: contrib/ltree for 7.2 or 7.3 ?

Дата:
> Folks, has this been fixed?

I can report that ltree passes its regression test now on HPPA.
It didn't before...
        regards, tom lane