Обсуждение: Announcement: I've joined Red Hat

Announcement: I've joined Red Hat

Дата:
As most of you probably know, my former employer Great Bridge folded a
couple months ago.  I am happy to announce that I've accepted a position
with Red Hat Inc, working in their database group.  I expect to be able
to continue full-time involvement with PostgreSQL.  (Or should I say
"Red Hat Database" now?)  I'm excited about this opportunity, and
believe that it will work out in the best interests of the Postgres
community as well as of the company.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Announcement: I've joined Red Hat

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
Best of luck to you!
Jeff

On Tuesday 27 November 2001 12:21 pm, you wrote:
> As most of you probably know, my former employer Great Bridge folded a
> couple months ago.  I am happy to announce that I've accepted a position
> with Red Hat Inc, working in their database group.  I expect to be able
> to continue full-time involvement with PostgreSQL.  (Or should I say
> "Red Hat Database" now?)  I'm excited about this opportunity, and
> believe that it will work out in the best interests of the Postgres
> community as well as of the company.
>
>             regards, tom lane

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Announcement: I've joined Red Hat

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> As most of you probably know, my former employer Great Bridge folded a
> couple months ago.  I am happy to announce that I've accepted a position
> with Red Hat Inc, working in their database group.  I expect to be able
> to continue full-time involvement with PostgreSQL.  (Or should I say
> "Red Hat Database" now?)  I'm excited about this opportunity, and
> believe that it will work out in the best interests of the Postgres
> community as well as of the company.

Congrats Tom!

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Announcement: I've joined Red Hat

Дата:
Khoa Do <kdo@stratacare.com> writes:
> Does this mean there will be two versions of PostgreSQL?

If you mean a code fork, no.  Red Hat hasn't forked any of the other
open-source projects they contribute to; why would they start with
Postgres?

It seems entirely possible that at any given time, what Red Hat is
selling as RHDB might be ahead of, behind, or different from the
latest community release of Postgres, just because of differing
release cycles, features not merged yet, or whatever.  But there's
no intention to cause a fork.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Announcement: I've joined Red Hat

От
Khoa Do
Does this mean there will be two versions of PostgreSQL?

As most of you probably know, my former employer Great Bridge folded a
couple months ago.  I am happy to announce that I've accepted a position
with Red Hat Inc, working in their database group.  I expect to be able to
continue full-time involvement with PostgreSQL.  (Or should I say "Red Hat
Database" now?)  I'm excited about this opportunity, and believe that it
will work out in the best interests of the Postgres community as well as of
the company.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Announcement: I've joined Red Hat

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Tuesday 27 November 2001 03:21 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> As most of you probably know, my former employer Great Bridge folded a
> couple months ago.  I am happy to announce that I've accepted a position
> with Red Hat Inc, working in their database group.  I expect to be able
> to continue full-time involvement with PostgreSQL.  (Or should I say
> "Red Hat Database" now?)  I'm excited about this opportunity, and
> believe that it will work out in the best interests of the Postgres
> community as well as of the company.

Woof!

Glad to hear it, Tom.  Well, that certainly eased some of the potential
concerns about the direction of RHDB in my mind, at least.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Announcement: I've joined Red Hat

От
Hannu Krosing
Tom Lane wrote:

>As most of you probably know, my former employer Great Bridge folded a
>couple months ago.  I am happy to announce that I've accepted a position
>with Red Hat Inc, working in their database group.  I expect to be able
>to continue full-time involvement with PostgreSQL.  (Or should I say
>"Red Hat Database" now?)

Congratulations! It really seems like a smart (altough expected) move
from RH :)

>I'm excited about this opportunity, and
>believe that it will work out in the best interests of the Postgres
>community as well as of the company.

Will there be any other "acquisitions" by RH ?

Them getting Cygnus of all things available also seemed like a really
bright idea so I
have quite high expectations for them.

PS. Is it postgres community or postgreSQL community ? ;)

-------------------------

Hannu

Re: Announcement: I've joined Red Hat

От
mlw
Дата:
Fantastic!
I was worried about RedHat becoming the "Microsoft of Linux," but every step
they have taken seems to indicate they wish to take the high road.

Good luck.

Tom Lane wrote:

> As most of you probably know, my former employer Great Bridge folded a
> couple months ago.  I am happy to announce that I've accepted a position
> with Red Hat Inc, working in their database group.  I expect to be able
> to continue full-time involvement with PostgreSQL.  (Or should I say
> "Red Hat Database" now?)  I'm excited about this opportunity, and
> believe that it will work out in the best interests of the Postgres
> community as well as of the company.

Re: Announcement: I've joined Red Hat

От
"Andy Samuel"
Дата:
Wish you and all of PostgreSQL hackers out there the best :)

warm regards
Andy