Обсуждение: CVS changes

CVS changes

От
bpalmer
Дата:
Since there have been drastic CVS changes,  the web page doc should REALLY
be updated...

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/cvs.html

- Brandon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------c: 646-456-5455
              h: 201-798-4983b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net           pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

Re: CVS changes

От
bpalmer
Дата:
> Since there have been drastic CVS changes,  the web page doc should REALLY
> be updated...

Withdrawn,  I notive Bruce made the changes,  but I guess they havn't hit
yet.  My bad.

- Brandon

----------------------------------------------------------------------------c: 646-456-5455
              h: 201-798-4983b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net           pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5

Re: CVS changes

Дата:
> Since there have been drastic CVS changes,  the web page doc should REALLY
> be updated...

I updated the SGML but they are not building nightly, I think.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

Дата:
I take that back.  I just updated this last night with the proper path.
Should be OK tomorrow.

> > Since there have been drastic CVS changes,  the web page doc should REALLY
> > be updated...
>
> I updated the SGML but they are not building nightly, I think.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

От
"Serguei Mokhov"
> Since there have been drastic CVS changes,  the web page doc should REALLY
> be updated...
>
> http://www.ca.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/cvs.html

... and CVSweb put back on-line too :)

S.

Re: CVS changes

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> I take that back.  I just updated this last night with the proper path.
> Should be OK tomorrow.

The docs currently aren't building on *.postgresql.org because the
software is not installed.

Re: CVS changes

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Someone want to refresh for me which software is required, as I'll get it
installed ASAP ...

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > I take that back.  I just updated this last night with the proper path.
> > Should be OK tomorrow.
>
> The docs currently aren't building on *.postgresql.org because the
> software is not installed.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: CVS changes

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier writes:

> Someone want to refresh for me which software is required, as I'll get it
> installed ASAP ...

These would get us started:

devel/bison
textproc/docproj
textproc/openjade

I tried building OpenJade on that server the other day by hand and got Bus
errors when I ran it.  -- So no guarantees. ;-)

Btw., this may be unrelated but I also notice that the last
postgresql-{opt,test}-snapshot.tar.gz files on the ftp mirrors are from
July 5.  The others seem to be up to date.

Re: CVS changes

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

try that ... all three are now installed ...

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
> > Someone want to refresh for me which software is required, as I'll get it
> > installed ASAP ...
>
> These would get us started:
>
> devel/bison
> textproc/docproj
> textproc/openjade
>
> I tried building OpenJade on that server the other day by hand and got Bus
> errors when I ran it.  -- So no guarantees. ;-)
>
> Btw., this may be unrelated but I also notice that the last
> postgresql-{opt,test}-snapshot.tar.gz files on the ftp mirrors are from
> July 5.  The others seem to be up to date.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter

Re: CVS changes

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
I've built the docs on cvs.postgresql.org, but where are the ftp and www
areas these days and how does one get stuff onto them?

Re: CVS changes

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

just about to be moved to the new server, now that the new 18gi drive has
been installed ... plan on getting that done this afternoon ...

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I've built the docs on cvs.postgresql.org, but where are the ftp and www
> areas these days and how does one get stuff onto them?
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter

Re: CVS changes

> just about to be moved to the new server, now that the new 18gi drive has
> been installed ... plan on getting that done this afternoon ...

Don't rush.  I am setting up my system to check the SGML docs every 15
minutes and rebuild if necessary.  Overnight builds are not frequent
enough for people modifying the SGML files.  This way they can commit
changes and check in fifteen minutes to see the changes in HTML.

They are now at:
http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml

I will add a link to the bottom of the developer's page.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
done already, ftp should be accessible as it was before ...

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > just about to be moved to the new server, now that the new 18gi drive has
> > been installed ... plan on getting that done this afternoon ...
>
> Don't rush.  I am setting up my system to check the SGML docs every 15
> minutes and rebuild if necessary.  Overnight builds are not frequent
> enough for people modifying the SGML files.  This way they can commit
> changes and check in fifteen minutes to see the changes in HTML.
>
> They are now at:
>
>     http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml
>
> I will add a link to the bottom of the developer's page.

Re: CVS changes

От
John Summerfield
Дата:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > just about to be moved to the new server, now that the new 18gi drive has
> > been installed ... plan on getting that done this afternoon ...
>
> Don't rush.  I am setting up my system to check the SGML docs every 15
> minutes and rebuild if necessary.  Overnight builds are not frequent

Would it not be better to provide a means for developers to cause the rebuild on demand? A 15-minute wait doesn't seem
convenientto me.

Re: CVS changes

Дата:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > > just about to be moved to the new server, now that the new 18gi drive has
> > > been installed ... plan on getting that done this afternoon ...
> >
> > Don't rush.  I am setting up my system to check the SGML docs every 15
> > minutes and rebuild if necessary.  Overnight builds are not frequent
> >
> Would it not be better to provide a means for developers to cause the rebuild on demand? A 15-minute wait doesn't
seemconvenient to me.

Yep, but it takes 15 minutes to build anyway, so I figured I would check
very 15 minutes and adding another 15, that makes 1/2 hour.  We don't
have a mechanism to build only a few html files.  You have to do the
whole thing.

Suggestions?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Don't rush.  I am setting up my system to check the SGML docs every 15
> minutes and rebuild if necessary.  Overnight builds are not frequent
> enough for people modifying the SGML files.

This is news to me...  Do you mean you commit stuff and then wait 15
minutes to see how it looks?

Re: CVS changes

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Don't rush.  I am setting up my system to check the SGML docs every 15
> > minutes and rebuild if necessary.  Overnight builds are not frequent
> > enough for people modifying the SGML files.
>
> This is news to me...  Do you mean you commit stuff and then wait 15
> minutes to see how it looks?

You mean you commit stuff before testing it locally?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: CVS changes

Дата:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Don't rush.  I am setting up my system to check the SGML docs every 15
> > minutes and rebuild if necessary.  Overnight builds are not frequent
> > enough for people modifying the SGML files.
>
> This is news to me...  Do you mean you commit stuff and then wait 15
> minutes to see how it looks?

I have a cron job that does cvs update every 15 minutes and recreates
the HTML if needed.

I know you can manually run it on individual SGML files but I don't see
a way to automate that.  Do you?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

Дата:
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > Don't rush.  I am setting up my system to check the SGML docs every 15
> > > minutes and rebuild if necessary.  Overnight builds are not frequent
> > > enough for people modifying the SGML files.
> >
> > This is news to me...  Do you mean you commit stuff and then wait 15
> > minutes to see how it looks?
>
> You mean you commit stuff before testing it locally?

Not everyone has sgml tools on their local machine, do they?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

Дата:

> > > You mean you commit stuff before testing it locally?
> >
> > Not everyone has sgml tools on their local machine, do they?
>
> I understood it to be a requirement for doc development.

We have lots of people who submit SGML changes with their code patches
and they certainly don't have it installed.  I only installed it in the
past six months.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > This is news to me...  Do you mean you commit stuff and then wait 15
> > > minutes to see how it looks?
> >
> > You mean you commit stuff before testing it locally?
>
> Not everyone has sgml tools on their local machine, do they?

I understood it to be a requirement for doc development.

Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: CVS changes

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Something is broken with anon cvs:

cvs server: Updating pgsql/contrib/pgstattuple
cvs server: failed to create lock directory for /projects/cvsroot/pgsql/contrib/pgstattuple'
(/projects/cvsroot/pgsql/contrib/pgstattuple/#cvs.lock):Permission denied

cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository /projects/cvsroot/pgsql/contrib/pgstattuple'
cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up
Oleg
On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> done already, ftp should be accessible as it was before ...
>
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > > just about to be moved to the new server, now that the new 18gi drive has
> > > been installed ... plan on getting that done this afternoon ...
> >
> > Don't rush.  I am setting up my system to check the SGML docs every 15
> > minutes and rebuild if necessary.  Overnight builds are not frequent
> > enough for people modifying the SGML files.  This way they can commit
> > changes and check in fifteen minutes to see the changes in HTML.
> >
> > They are now at:
> >
> >     http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml
> >
> > I will add a link to the bottom of the developer's page.
> >
> > --
> >   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 853-3000
> >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
> >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: CVS changes

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Not everyone has sgml tools on their local machine, do they?

But everyone committing changes to docs does, or should have, sgml tools
on *their* machines. Right??
                     - Thomas

Re: CVS changes

Дата:
> > Not everyone has sgml tools on their local machine, do they?
>
> But everyone committing changes to docs does, or should have, sgml tools
> on *their* machines. Right??

For a long time I didn't.  I would make the edits and check them the
next day.  I tried to make sure I had stuff balanced and most of the
changes were minor.

SGML is not tough to download but it is tough to get all the pieces
working together.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

Дата:
Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@fourpalms.org> writes:
>> Not everyone has sgml tools on their local machine, do they?

> But everyone committing changes to docs does, or should have, sgml tools
> on *their* machines. Right??

I think it's a bad idea to create such a policy; anything we do that
raises the bar for docs contributions will just mean that we have less
and worse documentation.  Hasn't our past policy always been "submit
whatever you want, even plain text, and we'll fix the markup later"?

If you want to see the effects of such a policy, you need look no
further than Jan, who still has not committed one line of documentation
about the pgstats views because he doesn't want to be bothered with
SGML.

If Bruce wants to expend a lot of cycles on his machine to provide fast
turnaround of docs changes, that's fine with me.
        regards, tom lane

Re: CVS changes

Дата:
> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart@fourpalms.org> writes:
> >> Not everyone has sgml tools on their local machine, do they?
>
> > But everyone committing changes to docs does, or should have, sgml tools
> > on *their* machines. Right??
>
> I think it's a bad idea to create such a policy; anything we do that
> raises the bar for docs contributions will just mean that we have less
> and worse documentation.  Hasn't our past policy always been "submit
> whatever you want, even plain text, and we'll fix the markup later"?
>
> If you want to see the effects of such a policy, you need look no
> further than Jan, who still has not committed one line of documentation
> about the pgstats views because he doesn't want to be bothered with
> SGML.
>
> If Bruce wants to expend a lot of cycles on his machine to provide fast
> turnaround of docs changes, that's fine with me.

I also have the SGML build log with errors in _red_!  Nifty feature.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

Дата:
Vince, can I have write permision to /usr/local/www/www/html/docs on the
new web server machine so I can create symbolic links to the files in my
home directory?

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > Don't rush.  I am setting up my system to check the SGML docs every 15
> > > minutes and rebuild if necessary.  Overnight builds are not frequent
> > > enough for people modifying the SGML files.
> >
> > This is news to me...  Do you mean you commit stuff and then wait 15
> > minutes to see how it looks?
>
> You mean you commit stuff before testing it locally?
>
> Vince.
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net
>          56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > > But everyone committing changes to docs does, or should have, sgml tools
> > > on *their* machines. Right??
> > I think it's a bad idea to create such a policy; anything we do that
> > raises the bar for docs contributions will just mean that we have less
> > and worse documentation.  Hasn't our past policy always been "submit
> > whatever you want, even plain text, and we'll fix the markup later"?

Certainly! I've never said otherwise, didn't suggest a change in policy,
and have always been committed to *doing* the markup to make the former
"submit anything" happen. If the docs are broken for a while, or if we
have to work on the submitted patches before committing them, then we
should do that.

But docs don't magically happen without someone babysitting them at
least a little; I know that from experience and I know that Peter and
others have done a lot of work to make this happen too.

Right now, folks are seeing that docs are not getting built, and are
heading off in several directions. I *thought* I've been paying
attention (but have been very busy so could have missed it) and I *know*
that lots of work is being done on the web site, things are being
rearranged etc etc but for those of us who are peripherally involved
with pieces of the web site it would be *really* helpful to know what is
planned, where things are going to go, when it might happen, etc etc.

I would like to resolve the 12 hour lag for CVSup and anoncvs service,
and frankly until that is resolved we should accept that we have a 12
hour turnaround on most changes. Coincidentally, that is the rate at
which the docs are (or would be, if I could figure out where they should
go) currently built.

Let's stop trying to each build a new wheel; we have plenty enough
already. There are fundamental breakages in the current servers, and
until those are resolve I'm not happy that we are changing web site info
etc to suggest workarounds as permanent solutions.

all imho of course ;)
                     - Thomas

Re: CVS changes

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Vince, can I have write permision to /usr/local/www/www/html/docs on the
> new web server machine so I can create symbolic links to the files in my
> home directory?

??!!

Bruce, what is actually happening here? If we are changing procedures
for building docs, please try to have a discussion about it first. What
are you trying to accomplish that is anything but what has already been
implemented?

If we are taking the role of "central doc build process" away from me,
istm that Peter E would be an appropriate choice for the replacement.

The fundamental problem is not that there is no docs building procedure.
It is that the docs destination area disappeared several weeks ago and
is nowhere to be seen.
                       - Thomas

Re: CVS changes

Дата:
> > Vince, can I have write permision to /usr/local/www/www/html/docs on the
> > new web server machine so I can create symbolic links to the files in my
> > home directory?
>
> ??!!
>
> Bruce, what is actually happening here? If we are changing procedures
> for building docs, please try to have a discussion about it first. What
> are you trying to accomplish that is anything but what has already been
> implemented?
>
> If we are taking the role of "central doc build process" away from me,
> istm that Peter E would be an appropriate choice for the replacement.
>
> The fundamental problem is not that there is no docs building procedure.
> It is that the docs destination area disappeared several weeks ago and
> is nowhere to be seen.

No, this is for the HTML version of my book and some of the articles I
have written.  Doesn't relate to SGML at all.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > Vince, can I have write permision to /usr/local/www/www/html/docs on the
> > new web server machine so I can create symbolic links to the files in my
> > home directory?
>
> ??!!
>
> Bruce, what is actually happening here? If we are changing procedures
> for building docs, please try to have a discussion about it first. What
> are you trying to accomplish that is anything but what has already been
> implemented?
>
> If we are taking the role of "central doc build process" away from me,
> istm that Peter E would be an appropriate choice for the replacement.
>
> The fundamental problem is not that there is no docs building procedure.
> It is that the docs destination area disappeared several weeks ago and
> is nowhere to be seen.

Until the dust settles the only two people with write access to either
the developer or regular website will be Marc and myself.  I have enough
to do trying to get mirroring straight, keep up with changes to the sites,
etc. that I really don't need anyone messing around.  So Bruce, your
request is going to be denied.

Tom, what's missing or out of place?  If I can I'll make sure it's there.
This morning I noticed a number of things that I thought were there really
weren't.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: CVS changes

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Tom, what's missing or out of place?  If I can I'll make sure it's there.
> This morning I noticed a number of things that I thought were there really
> weren't.

What I was looking for was the place where development docs (built from
daily snapshots) would go. They used to be underneath devel-corner in a
doc(s ??) directory.

I guess I would also expect to find, somewhere, the as-released docs for
current (and previous?) versions.

I was looking the other day and didn't see any of the signs I would have
expected like html files from the docs build process.

Since I don't feel like I understand what the new layout actually is, it
would be nice to hear where I would *expect* to find these things.
"devel-corner is history", "users-lounge is history" lead me to believe
that structure is changing, but I don't know to what.

There are only a few places that I care about (the online docs area is
one of those). I'm happy to wait until new locations are available, but
a quick explanation of where that might be would give me a warm fuzzy
that I'm not falling behind and that I can predict whether the new
layout requires changes to my doc building scripts (as an example).
                       - Thomas

Re: CVS changes

Дата:
> Until the dust settles the only two people with write access to either
> the developer or regular website will be Marc and myself.  I have enough
> to do trying to get mirroring straight, keep up with changes to the sites,
> etc. that I really don't need anyone messing around.  So Bruce, your
> request is going to be denied.

All my links are broken until it is fixed.  Here are the links I need,
except it is /home/momjian now:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 momjian  pgsql     54 May 22  2000 aw_pgsql_book -> /home/projects
/pgsql/developers/momjian/aw_pgsql_book/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 momjian  pgsql     48 May 22  2000 booktips -> /home/projects/pgsq
l/developers/momjian/booktips
lrwxrwxr-x  1 momjian  pgsql     54 Jun 18 14:38 hw_performance -> /home/project
s/pgsql/developers/momjian/hw_performance
lrwxrwxr-x  1 momjian  pgsql     56 Jun 18 14:55 internalpics.pdf -> /home/proje
cts/pgsql/developers/momjian/internalpics.pdf
lrwxrwxr-x  1 momjian  pgsql     52 Jun 18 14:38 writing_apps -> /home/projects/
pgsql/developers/momjian/writing_apps

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > Tom, what's missing or out of place?  If I can I'll make sure it's there.
> > This morning I noticed a number of things that I thought were there really
> > weren't.
>
> What I was looking for was the place where development docs (built from
> daily snapshots) would go. They used to be underneath devel-corner in a
> doc(s ??) directory.

devel-corner is now  developer.postgresql.org  These were the nitely
builds, right?   For a place to point, look to /docs in the developers
tree.

> I guess I would also expect to find, somewhere, the as-released docs for
> current (and previous?) versions.

How wonderful, those are missing too.  They're still in regular cvs,
right?  I'll get them tomorrow.

> I was looking the other day and didn't see any of the signs I would have
> expected like html files from the docs build process.
>
> Since I don't feel like I understand what the new layout actually is, it
> would be nice to hear where I would *expect* to find these things.
> "devel-corner is history", "users-lounge is history" lead me to believe
> that structure is changing, but I don't know to what.

yep.  developers.postgresql.org will give you an idea as to how.

> There are only a few places that I care about (the online docs area is
> one of those). I'm happy to wait until new locations are available, but
> a quick explanation of where that might be would give me a warm fuzzy
> that I'm not falling behind and that I can predict whether the new
> layout requires changes to my doc building scripts (as an example).

/docs is created.  whatever scripts are needed we can put them in place.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: CVS changes

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Until the dust settles the only two people with write access to either
> > the developer or regular website will be Marc and myself.  I have enough
> > to do trying to get mirroring straight, keep up with changes to the sites,
> > etc. that I really don't need anyone messing around.  So Bruce, your
> > request is going to be denied.
>
> All my links are broken until it is fixed.  Here are the links I need,
> except it is /home/momjian now:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 momjian  pgsql     54 May 22  2000 aw_pgsql_book -> /home/projects
> /pgsql/developers/momjian/aw_pgsql_book/
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 momjian  pgsql     48 May 22  2000 booktips -> /home/projects/pgsq
> l/developers/momjian/booktips
> lrwxrwxr-x  1 momjian  pgsql     54 Jun 18 14:38 hw_performance -> /home/project
> s/pgsql/developers/momjian/hw_performance
> lrwxrwxr-x  1 momjian  pgsql     56 Jun 18 14:55 internalpics.pdf -> /home/proje
> cts/pgsql/developers/momjian/internalpics.pdf
> lrwxrwxr-x  1 momjian  pgsql     52 Jun 18 14:38 writing_apps -> /home/projects/
> pgsql/developers/momjian/writing_apps

Move these into a subdir under momjian and I'll point to that.  Is the
internalpics.pdf different than the one on the developers site?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: CVS changes

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> I would like to resolve the 12 hour lag for CVSup and anoncvs service,
> and frankly until that is resolved we should accept that we have a 12
> hour turnaround on most changes. Coincidentally, that is the rate at
> which the docs are (or would be, if I could figure out where they
> should go) currently built.

It should never have been 12hrs ... I had it set for 4 ... but, I have
drop'd it down to hourly effective this morning ...

> Let's stop trying to each build a new wheel; we have plenty enough
> already. There are fundamental breakages in the current servers, and
> until those are resolve I'm not happy that we are changing web site
> info etc to suggest workarounds as permanent solutions.

Agreed ...

Re: CVS changes

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > Tom, what's missing or out of place?  If I can I'll make sure it's there.
> > > This morning I noticed a number of things that I thought were there really
> > > weren't.
> >
> > What I was looking for was the place where development docs (built from
> > daily snapshots) would go. They used to be underneath devel-corner in a
> > doc(s ??) directory.
>
> devel-corner is now  developer.postgresql.org  These were the nitely
> builds, right?   For a place to point, look to /docs in the developers
> tree.

developers tree => /usr/local/www/developers

Re: CVS changes

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>> I would like to resolve the 12 hour lag for CVSup and anoncvs service,

> It should never have been 12hrs ... I had it set for 4 ... but, I have
> drop'd it down to hourly effective this morning ...

That sounds like a good setting for anoncvs service.  But I think Thomas
(and any other committers who use cvsup) still need a cvsup server
running on the master cvs machine.  Even a 1-hour lag is too much when
you are trying to commit changes.
        regards, tom lane

Re: CVS changes

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
will set that one up next ...

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> >> I would like to resolve the 12 hour lag for CVSup and anoncvs service,
>
> > It should never have been 12hrs ... I had it set for 4 ... but, I have
> > drop'd it down to hourly effective this morning ...
>
> That sounds like a good setting for anoncvs service.  But I think Thomas
> (and any other committers who use cvsup) still need a cvsup server
> running on the master cvs machine.  Even a 1-hour lag is too much when
> you are trying to commit changes.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: CVS changes

От
John Summerfield
Дата:

> > > Don't rush.  I am setting up my system to check the SGML docs every 15
> > > minutes and rebuild if necessary.  Overnight builds are not frequent
> > >
> > Would it not be better to provide a means for developers to cause the rebuild on demand? A 15-minute wait doesn't
seemconvenient to me.

> Yep, but it takes 15 minutes to build anyway, so I figured I would check
> very 15 minutes and adding another 15, that makes 1/2 hour.  We don't
> have a mechanism to build only a few html files.  You have to do the
> whole thing.
>
> Suggestions?

I don't know enough about how it works (or doesn't), but the delay looks worse.

Add the delay for "missing the bus" and you're out to a 45-minute delay.

The need for on-demand is even greater, even something done crudely:

If a build's in process, flag the need.

When the build completes, check if it has to be done again.

I assume that updates aren't so frequent that you'd be constantly rebuilding, or so infrequently a missed rebuild would
causeserious problems.

Perhaps a way to check if a rebuild's in process so that if it's slower than usual a developer can see it's not
forgotten(or who else is doing one).

Re: CVS changes

Дата:
> On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > Until the dust settles the only two people with write access to either
> > > the developer or regular website will be Marc and myself.  I have enough
> > > to do trying to get mirroring straight, keep up with changes to the sites,
> > > etc. that I really don't need anyone messing around.  So Bruce, your
> > > request is going to be denied.
> >
> > All my links are broken until it is fixed.  Here are the links I need,
> > except it is /home/momjian now:
> >
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 momjian  pgsql     54 May 22  2000 aw_pgsql_book -> /home/projects
> > /pgsql/developers/momjian/aw_pgsql_book/
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 momjian  pgsql     48 May 22  2000 booktips -> /home/projects/pgsq
> > l/developers/momjian/booktips
> > lrwxrwxr-x  1 momjian  pgsql     54 Jun 18 14:38 hw_performance -> /home/project
> > s/pgsql/developers/momjian/hw_performance
> > lrwxrwxr-x  1 momjian  pgsql     56 Jun 18 14:55 internalpics.pdf -> /home/proje
> > cts/pgsql/developers/momjian/internalpics.pdf
> > lrwxrwxr-x  1 momjian  pgsql     52 Jun 18 14:38 writing_apps -> /home/projects/
> > pgsql/developers/momjian/writing_apps
>
> Move these into a subdir under momjian and I'll point to that.  Is the
> internalpics.pdf different than the one on the developers site?

OK, new directory is /home/momjian/docs and links need to be created in
/usr/local/www/www/html/docs.

internalpics.pdf is the same as the one you have on the developers site
but it should be a link to the copy in my home directory so I can update
it regularly.  I know it is kind of strange to have a symlink for the
same file from the main web site and the developers site to my home
directory but the old URL for that is still used in other places so I
need both.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

Дата:
> > OK, new directory is /home/momjian/docs and links need to be created in
> > /usr/local/www/www/html/docs.
> >
> > internalpics.pdf is the same as the one you have on the developers site
> > but it should be a link to the copy in my home directory so I can update
> > it regularly.  I know it is kind of strange to have a symlink for the
> > same file from the main web site and the developers site to my home
> > directory but the old URL for that is still used in other places so I
> > need both.
>
> All done.  Let me know if anything's missing.

Beautiful.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > All my links are broken until it is fixed.  Here are the links I need,
> > > except it is /home/momjian now:
> > >
> > > lrwxrwxrwx  1 momjian  pgsql     54 May 22  2000 aw_pgsql_book -> /home/projects
> > > /pgsql/developers/momjian/aw_pgsql_book/
> > > lrwxrwxrwx  1 momjian  pgsql     48 May 22  2000 booktips -> /home/projects/pgsq
> > > l/developers/momjian/booktips
> > > lrwxrwxr-x  1 momjian  pgsql     54 Jun 18 14:38 hw_performance -> /home/project
> > > s/pgsql/developers/momjian/hw_performance
> > > lrwxrwxr-x  1 momjian  pgsql     56 Jun 18 14:55 internalpics.pdf -> /home/proje
> > > cts/pgsql/developers/momjian/internalpics.pdf
> > > lrwxrwxr-x  1 momjian  pgsql     52 Jun 18 14:38 writing_apps -> /home/projects/
> > > pgsql/developers/momjian/writing_apps
> >
> > Move these into a subdir under momjian and I'll point to that.  Is the
> > internalpics.pdf different than the one on the developers site?
>
> OK, new directory is /home/momjian/docs and links need to be created in
> /usr/local/www/www/html/docs.
>
> internalpics.pdf is the same as the one you have on the developers site
> but it should be a link to the copy in my home directory so I can update
> it regularly.  I know it is kind of strange to have a symlink for the
> same file from the main web site and the developers site to my home
> directory but the old URL for that is still used in other places so I
> need both.

All done.  Let me know if anything's missing.

Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: CVS changes

Дата:

> > > Would it not be better to provide a means for developers to cause the rebuild on demand? A 15-minute wait doesn't
seemconvenient to me.

> > Yep, but it takes 15 minutes to build anyway, so I figured I would check
> > very 15 minutes and adding another 15, that makes 1/2 hour.  We don't
> > have a mechanism to build only a few html files.  You have to do the
> > whole thing.
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
> I don't know enough about how it works (or doesn't), but the
> delay looks worse.
>
> Add the delay for "missing the bus" and you're out to a 45-minute
> delay.

True.

> The need for on-demand is even greater, even something done
> crudely:
>
> If a build's in process, flag the need.

Added.  I realized that I could have two running at the same time, which
would be a disaster.

> When the build completes, check if it has to be done again.

Great idea!  Added.

> I assume that updates aren't so frequent that you'd be constantly
> rebuilding, or so infrequently a missed rebuild would cause
> serious problems.

Yep.

> Perhaps a way to check if a rebuild's in process so that if it's
> slower than usual a developer can see it's not forgotten (or
> who else is doing one).

Script attached.  I could poll cvs more frequently but it seems rude to
hit the cvs server more frequently than every 15 minutes.  If people
want it polled more frequently, and Marc doesn't mind, I can change the
polling interval here.

Also, I added something that will show the files modified in the current
build.

-- Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610)
Pennsylvania19026
:
trap "rm -f /tmp/$$ /tmp/$$a /tmp/pgsql_sgml" 0 1 2 3 15

[ -f /tmp/pgsql_sgml ] && exit
touch /tmp/pgsql_sgml

cd /u/src/gen/pgsql/sgml/pgsql/doc/src

while pgcvs update . 2>&1 | grep -v '^?' >/tmp/$$a
doecho "Build:  `date`" >>build.datescat /tmp/$$a  >>build.datesecho "PostgreSQL CVS Documentation Build" >/tmp/$$echo
"==================================\n">>/tmp/$$echo "Build started:    `date`\n" >>/tmp/$$gmake 2>&1 | grep -v DTDDECL
>>/tmp/$$echo "Build completed:  `date`\n" >>/tmp/$$echo "Changes in this build:"cat /tmp/$$a >>/tmp/$$echo "\nErrors
appearin red.\n" >>/tmp/$$pipe sed 's;HTML.manifest:;HTML.manifest :;g' /tmp/$$txt2html -m -s 100 -p 100 --title
"PostgreSQLCVS Docs built `date`" \--link /u/txt2html/txt2html.dict \--append_head /u/txt2html/BODY /tmp/$$
>build.htmlpipesed 's;^.*error.*$;<FONT COLOR="RED">&</FONT>;' build.htmlpipe sed 's;^.*Error.*$;<FONT
COLOR="RED">&</FONT>;'build.htmlpipe sed 's;^.*:E:.*$;<FONT COLOR="RED">&</FONT>;' build.htmlrm -f
/var/www/docs/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/*mvsgml/*.html build.html /var/www/docs/main/writings/pgsql/sgmlcp sgml/*.css
/var/www/docs/main/writings/pgsql/sgml
done

Re: CVS changes

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Ummmm ... I thought we weren't going to do this, but were going to fix the
proper build process?

doesn'tseem convenient to me.

> > > Yep, but it takes 15 minutes to build anyway, so I figured I would check
> > > very 15 minutes and adding another 15, that makes 1/2 hour.  We don't
> > > have a mechanism to build only a few html files.  You have to do the
> > > whole thing.
> > >
> > > Suggestions?
> >
> > I don't know enough about how it works (or doesn't), but the
> > delay looks worse.
> >
> > Add the delay for "missing the bus" and you're out to a 45-minute
> > delay.
>
> True.
>
> > The need for on-demand is even greater, even something done
> > crudely:
> >
> > If a build's in process, flag the need.
>
> Added.  I realized that I could have two running at the same time, which
> would be a disaster.
>
> > When the build completes, check if it has to be done again.
>
> Great idea!  Added.
>
> > I assume that updates aren't so frequent that you'd be constantly
> > rebuilding, or so infrequently a missed rebuild would cause
> > serious problems.
>
> Yep.
>
> > Perhaps a way to check if a rebuild's in process so that if it's
> > slower than usual a developer can see it's not forgotten (or
> > who else is doing one).
>
> Script attached.  I could poll cvs more frequently but it seems rude to
> hit the cvs server more frequently than every 15 minutes.  If people
> want it polled more frequently, and Marc doesn't mind, I can change the
> polling interval here.
>
> Also, I added something that will show the files modified in the current
> build.

Re: CVS changes

> Ummmm ... I thought we weren't going to do this, but were going to fix the
> proper build process?

Well, until it works I can fiddle with it here.  What will the future
build interval be?  Are people OK with that?

Pennsylvania19026

Re: CVS changes

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> I know you can manually run it on individual SGML files but I don't see
> a way to automate that.  Do you?

I don't because there isn't.  For one, if a link points to some other file
you lose.

Re: CVS changes

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> will set that one up next ...

Great! Thanks...
                      - Thomas

> > That sounds like a good setting for anoncvs service.  But I think Thomas
> > (and any other committers who use cvsup) still need a cvsup server
> > running on the master cvs machine.  Even a 1-hour lag is too much when
> > you are trying to commit changes.

Re: CVS changes

От
John Summerfield
Дата:

> Script attached.  I could poll cvs more frequently but it seems rude to
> hit the cvs server more frequently than every 15 minutes.  If people
> want it polled more frequently, and Marc doesn't mind, I can change the
> polling interval here.
>
> Also, I added something that will show the files modified in the current
> build.

I'm not vary familiar with the administration of CVS - if it has a means to
run a script when something's updated, maybe you could flag the need to rebuild
automatically.

Re: CVS changes

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, John Summerfield wrote:

> > Script attached.  I could poll cvs more frequently but it seems rude to
> > hit the cvs server more frequently than every 15 minutes.  If people
> > want it polled more frequently, and Marc doesn't mind, I can change the
> > polling interval here.
> >
> > Also, I added something that will show the files modified in the current
> > build.
>

> I'm not vary familiar with the administration of CVS - if it has a means to
> run a script when something's updated, maybe you could flag the need to rebuild
> automatically.

It has that ability, but only on  the server itself ... bruce has taken it
upon himself to do this on his own machine, while the base problem is
worked on, which is moving everything over to the new server ...

Its had its hiccups, but considering we really haven't moved anything
anywhere in >5 years now, and considering we are not in beta yet, we've
done a decent job of getting problems fixed as soon as they've been
reported ...