Обсуждение: AW: AW: AW: Truncation of char, varchar types

AW: AW: AW: Truncation of char, varchar types

От
Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Дата:
> > Thank you. Is an "exception condition" necessarily an error, or
> > is a warning also an exception condition ?
>
> A warning/notice is called a "completion condition".
>
> > Because other db's only raise a warning. Of course we don't want to
> > copy that behavior if they are not conformant. See above question.
>
> Someone said Oracle raises an error.

Yes, I am very sorry.

>  Informix seems to be the only other db that truncates silently.

Raises a warning instead of error. Would need to check Sybase and DB2, but ...

>  I think Oracle wins here...

Yes, good. Do we want this in 7.1.0 ? Seems, yes :-(

Andreas

Re: AW: AW: AW: Truncation of char, varchar types

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > Someone said Oracle raises an error.
> >  Informix seems to be the only other db that truncates silently.
> Raises a warning instead of error. Would need to check Sybase and DB2, but ...
> Yes, good. Do we want this in 7.1.0 ? Seems, yes :-(

No, pretty sure this will not fly for the 7.1.x cycle, no matter what we
end up deciding is the best approach (with SQL9x getting more votes than
most other proposals, but The Right Thing having the most votes of all
;)

We are at the tail end of the beta cycle, and a change in behavior which
is this fundamental needs more time and discussion. All imho of
course...
                         - Thomas

Re: AW: AW: AW: Truncation of char, varchar types

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Zeugswetter Andreas SB writes:

> Yes, good. Do we want this in 7.1.0 ? Seems, yes :-(

No way.  I'm just giving some food for thought while development is slow.

In any case there seems to be support for the proposed feature.  I'm just
waiting for someone to complain that he relies on the existing behaviour,
but I doubt that.

Re: AW: Truncation of char, varchar types

От
Mark Butler
Дата:
Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

> Yes, good. Do we want this in 7.1.0 ? Seems, yes :-(

I agree this change is very good idea, but 7.2 is probably a better target.
- Mark Butler