Обсуждение: src/test/regress/README duplicates SGML material

src/test/regress/README duplicates SGML material

Дата:
Is it really necessary to maintain identical text in the test README
file and in the SGML docs?  I'm sorely tempted to remove the README
rather than double-editing yet again.

            regards, tom lane

Re: src/test/regress/README duplicates SGML material

От
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane writes:

> Is it really necessary to maintain identical text in the test README
> file and in the SGML docs?  I'm sorely tempted to remove the README
> rather than double-editing yet again.

It's referenced from the INSTALL file, because people presumably won't be
able to read the HTML during installation.  Actually, the README was once
generated from the HTML version.  It can be done again, but the exact
process it kind of hazy.

Re: src/test/regress/README duplicates SGML material

Дата:
> Tom Lane writes:
>> Is it really necessary to maintain identical text in the test README
>> file and in the SGML docs?  I'm sorely tempted to remove the README
>> rather than double-editing yet again.

> It's referenced from the INSTALL file, because people presumably won't be
> able to read the HTML during installation.  Actually, the README was once
> generated from the HTML version.  It can be done again, but the exact
> process it kind of hazy.

If you've got any hints, I could really use a clue right about now ...
otherwise I'll have to do these LOCALE edits twice ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: src/test/regress/README duplicates SGML material

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> >> Is it really necessary to maintain identical text in the test README
> >> file and in the SGML docs?  I'm sorely tempted to remove the README
> >> rather than double-editing yet again.
> > It's referenced from the INSTALL file, because people presumably won't be
> > able to read the HTML during installation.  Actually, the README was once
> > generated from the HTML version.  It can be done again, but the exact
> > process it kind of hazy.
> If you've got any hints, I could really use a clue right about now ...
> otherwise I'll have to do these LOCALE edits twice ...

Just make sure that we have a *complete* list of files which need to be
formatted from sgml to something other than HTML and postscript or pdf
and we'll get them built for the release.

Mostly depending on who is doing the work, the process seems to bounce
between using sgml->rtf->text or sgml->html->text, with each having pros
and cons.

                    - Thomas

Re: src/test/regress/README duplicates SGML material

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Thomas Lockhart writes:

> Just make sure that we have a *complete* list of files which need to be
> formatted from sgml to something other than HTML and postscript or pdf
> and we'll get them built for the release.

It's all documented:  Developer's Guide -> Documentation -> Building the
Documentation -> Plain Text Files.

The three affected text files are:
INSTALL
HISTORY
src/test/regress/README

The INSTALL file hasn't been updated in a while, but I am keeping my eye
on it, but we need to have a complete platform list first.  (Probably a
good time now...)  The HISTORY file isn't actually generated the way it's
documented, but just in case Bruce loses his memory there's an option.
;-)  The regress README is also documented, but it involves manual labour.

Re: [DOCS] Re: src/test/regress/README duplicates SGML material

Дата:
> The regress README is also documented, but it involves manual labour.

I ended up just applying the same diffs to the README by hand, so it's
not an issue at the moment.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [DOCS] Re: src/test/regress/README duplicates SGML material

Дата:
> It's all documented:  Developer's Guide -> Documentation -> Building the
> Documentation -> Plain Text Files.
>
> The three affected text files are:
> INSTALL
> HISTORY
> src/test/regress/README
>
> The INSTALL file hasn't been updated in a while, but I am keeping my eye
> on it, but we need to have a complete platform list first.  (Probably a
> good time now...)  The HISTORY file isn't actually generated the way it's
> documented, but just in case Bruce loses his memory there's an option.
> ;-)  The regress README is also documented, but it involves manual labour.

I thought we were going to be generating HISTORY from SGML in the
future.  Good to know we will just keep it as as double-patch.

regression.diff wrong dir name

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Hi all,

Something minor, but when you do a "make check" from the main source
directory and it finishes, it mentions that the regression.diff file is
in ./regression.diff

It's really at src/test/regress/regression.diff, and although not hard
to figure out (it's a carry-over from pre 7.1), it might be confusing to
people to new PostgreSQL.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift