Обсуждение: Open 7.1 items

Open 7.1 items

Дата:
I have about 20 open 7.1 items that I need to get resolved before I can
start getting the doc TODO list started.  The issues relate to JDBC,
ODBC, and lots of other stuff that need to be settled before we can
finalize 7.1.

They can not be easily summarized in one line.  You really have to see
the whole email to understand the issues.

How do people want to do this?  I can post them to hackers, or put them
on my web site.  I posted them to hackers during the past few days, but
many went unanswered.  These are all relatively new from the past few
months.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Open 7.1 items

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
haven't seen it posted to hackers, or, if I did, I didn't clue into it ...
and just checked to see if maybe it was waiting for approval due to size,
and nothing in the queue ...

posting it here is easier to respond to ...

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have about 20 open 7.1 items that I need to get resolved before I can
> start getting the doc TODO list started.  The issues relate to JDBC,
> ODBC, and lots of other stuff that need to be settled before we can
> finalize 7.1.
>
> They can not be easily summarized in one line.  You really have to see
> the whole email to understand the issues.
>
> How do people want to do this?  I can post them to hackers, or put them
> on my web site.  I posted them to hackers during the past few days, but
> many went unanswered.  These are all relatively new from the past few
> months.

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Open 7.1 items

Дата:
I have trickled the emails as I reviewed them, asking for comments.  It
was not one big email.

> haven't seen it posted to hackers, or, if I did, I didn't clue into it ...
> and just checked to see if maybe it was waiting for approval due to size,
> and nothing in the queue ...
>
> posting it here is easier to respond to ...
>

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I have about 20 open 7.1 items that I need to get resolved before I can
> > start getting the doc TODO list started.  The issues relate to JDBC,
> > ODBC, and lots of other stuff that need to be settled before we can
> > finalize 7.1.
> >
> > They can not be easily summarized in one line.  You really have to see
> > the whole email to understand the issues.
> >
> > How do people want to do this?  I can post them to hackers, or put them
> > on my web site.  I posted them to hackers during the past few days, but
> > many went unanswered.  These are all relatively new from the past few
> > months.
> >
> > --
> >   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 853-3000
> >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
> >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026
> >

> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Open 7.1 items

Дата:

> > > Could you post a list of open issues where each has just a number,
> > > heading
> > > (optional) and link to an email in some mailing-list archive ?
> >
> > Not really.  I don't have time to make a web site out of this thing.
> > :-)
>
> If they were previously sent to the lists, there should be a link in the
> archives to point ppl to, no? :0

Sure, but this is hard enough.  Finding them is even harder.  May as
well read the email rather than link to a web page.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Open 7.1 items

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have trickled the emails as I reviewed them, asking for comments.  It
> was not one big email.

> > > They can not be easily summarized in one line.  You really have to see
> > > the whole email to understand the issues.
> > >
> > > How do people want to do this?  I can post them to hackers, or put them
> > > on my web site.  I posted them to hackers during the past few days, but
> > > many went unanswered.  These are all relatively new from the past few
> > > months.

I guess that having _one_ document with all of them would get much more
attention.

It could be just copy and paste from the e-mails, numbered to be easily
referred to.

Not everybody here reads _every_ mail on the list, even if it is from
you ;)

---------------
Hannu

Re: Open 7.1 items

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > I guess that having _one_ document with all of them would get much more
> > attention.
> >
> > It could be just copy and paste from the e-mails, numbered to be easily
> > referred to.
> >
> > Not everybody here reads _every_ mail on the list, even if it is from
> > you ;)
>
> It has to be done separately because you need to see the full content
> and reply to each individually.  Also, they go to different lists
> sometimes.  Pretty confusing.

Could you post a list of open issues where each has just a number,
heading
(optional) and link to an email in some mailing-list archive ?

----------------
Hannu

Re: Open 7.1 items

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > It has to be done separately because you need to see the full content
> > > and reply to each individually.  Also, they go to different lists
> > > sometimes.  Pretty confusing.
> >
> > Could you post a list of open issues where each has just a number,
> > heading
> > (optional) and link to an email in some mailing-list archive ?
>
> Not really.  I don't have time to make a web site out of this thing.
> :-)

If they were previously sent to the lists, there should be a link in the
archives to point ppl to, no? :0

Re: Open 7.1 items

Дата:

> I guess that having _one_ document with all of them would get much more
> attention.
>
> It could be just copy and paste from the e-mails, numbered to be easily
> referred to.
>
> Not everybody here reads _every_ mail on the list, even if it is from
> you ;)

It has to be done separately because you need to see the full content
and reply to each individually.  Also, they go to different lists
sometimes.  Pretty confusing.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Open 7.1 items

Дата:
> > It has to be done separately because you need to see the full content
> > and reply to each individually.  Also, they go to different lists
> > sometimes.  Pretty confusing.
>
> Could you post a list of open issues where each has just a number,
> heading
> (optional) and link to an email in some mailing-list archive ?

Not really.  I don't have time to make a web site out of this thing.
:-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Open 7.1 items

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Not really.  I don't have time to make a web site out of this thing.
> > > :-)
> >
> > If they were previously sent to the lists, there should be a link in the
> > archives to point ppl to, no? :0
>
> Sure, but this is hard enough.  Finding them is even harder.

IIRC you complained that there are 20 open issues that needed to be
resolved
befor releasing 7.1, no?

Just to start discussing them, we should need a more or less closed list
of issues.

Or was the original posting (the one that started this thread) just a
comment
about how hard life is ;) ;)

You can't reasonably expect people to read all e-mail from last few
weeks
(probably a few thousands) and spot the same items as you.

> May as well read the email rather than link to a web page.

Still it would be good to have a "TODO before 7.1 relese"

-------------
Hannu

Re: Open 7.1 items

Дата:
> You can't reasonably expect people to read all e-mail from last few
> weeks
> (probably a few thousands) and spot the same items as you.
>
> > May as well read the email rather than link to a web page.
>
> Still it would be good to have a "TODO before 7.1 relese"

I send each article to the appropriate list with a comment at the top
asking for assistance.  I can't boild down many of these items into
short descriptions.  People need to see the detail of the emails.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Open 7.1 items

От
Hannu Krosing
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > You can't reasonably expect people to read all e-mail from last few
> > weeks
> > (probably a few thousands) and spot the same items as you.
> >
> > > May as well read the email rather than link to a web page.
> >
> > Still it would be good to have a "TODO before 7.1 relese"
>
> I send each article to the appropriate list with a comment at the top
> asking for assistance.  I can't boild down many of these items into
> short descriptions.  People need to see the detail of the emails.

But maybe we could agree on something in Subject:,  maybe [TODO - 7.1]
so that it is immediately clear it's urgent ?

-------------
Hannu

Re: Open 7.1 items

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > You can't reasonably expect people to read all e-mail from last few
> > > weeks
> > > (probably a few thousands) and spot the same items as you.

> > > Still it would be good to have a "TODO before 7.1 relese"
> >
> > I send each article to the appropriate list with a comment at the top
> > asking for assistance.  I can't boild down many of these items into
> > short descriptions.  People need to see the detail of the emails.
>
> But maybe we could agree on something in Subject:,  maybe [TODO - 7.1]
> so that it is immediately clear it's urgent ?

Sounds reasonable to me ...

Re: Open 7.1 items

Дата:

> > > I send each article to the appropriate list with a comment at the top
> > > asking for assistance.  I can't boild down many of these items into
> > > short descriptions.  People need to see the detail of the emails.
> >
> > But maybe we could agree on something in Subject:,  maybe [TODO - 7.1]
> > so that it is immediately clear it's urgent ?
>
> Sounds reasonable to me ...

Great idea.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Open 7.1 items

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
Quoting Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>:

> I have trickled the emails as I reviewed them, asking for comments.  It
> was not one big email.

I haven't seen them either, although my Inbox is big again, and I'm filtering
out mails by their subject line, so it's possible I've missed them.

I'm slowly working my way through JDBC, but it's all hinging on getting my
linux box back online. It's powered up, but not talking to the network :-(

Should be sorted by Saturday morning...

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter@retep.org.uk