Обсуждение: TIOGA

TIOGA

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Does anyone know what backend/tioga is for?  It's not Spanish for TOAST,
is it? :-)  It looks like it wasn't compilable for quite a while.

Re: TIOGA

Дата:
> Does anyone know what backend/tioga is for?  It's not Spanish for TOAST,
> is it? :-)  It looks like it wasn't compilable for quite a while.

It was some db visualization tool.  There is a web page about it
somewhere at Berkeley.  I say remove the directory.  It is junk now.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: TIOGA

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Does anyone know what backend/tioga is for?  It's not Spanish for TOAST,
> > is it? :-)  It looks like it wasn't compilable for quite a while.
>
> It was some db visualization tool.  There is a web page about it
> somewhere at Berkeley.  I say remove the directory.  It is junk now.

that is a bit rash considering that you tend to imply that you don't even
know what it is?

Peter, according to google, the  primary Berkeley site that comes up is:
http://datasplash.cs.berkeley.edu/

"DataSplash combines a sophisticated navigation model with a paint program
interface with which users can create custom visualizations. A beta
version of the software is now available."
And, from the overview:

"Tioga DataSplash (formerly known as Tioga-2) allows users to
interactively create and browse visualizations of database tables.
DataSplash was developed by members of the Tioga Project at the University
of California at Berkeley. DataSplash software is available on Alpha/OSF,
HP/UX, Intel/Linux, and Sparc /Solaris platforms. We are porting to other
UNIX platforms as well."
The "Quick Tour" looks really cool, but I'm not sure how tied into
the whole backend/tioga directory this whole thing is.  My first feel is
that 'tioga datasplash' is a userland application, but someone else might
be able to make a better determination?Check out this, which explains what 'Splashes' are ... it almost
gives me the feel of Visual Statistical Modeling ... ?
http://datasplash.cs.berkeley.edu/splashes.html
If it isn't breaking anything, please leave it in there, as I'd
like to look into this a bit further ...

Re: TIOGA

Дата:
Considering no one has used it in 4 years that I remember, my guess is
that it is an abandonded Berkeley project.

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > Does anyone know what backend/tioga is for?  It's not Spanish for TOAST,
> > > is it? :-)  It looks like it wasn't compilable for quite a while.
> >
> > It was some db visualization tool.  There is a web page about it
> > somewhere at Berkeley.  I say remove the directory.  It is junk now.
>
> that is a bit rash considering that you tend to imply that you don't even
> know what it is?
>
> Peter, according to google, the  primary Berkeley site that comes up is:
>
>     http://datasplash.cs.berkeley.edu/
>
> "DataSplash combines a sophisticated navigation model with a paint program
> interface with which users can create custom visualizations. A beta
> version of the software is now available."
>
>     And, from the overview:
>
> "Tioga DataSplash (formerly known as Tioga-2) allows users to
> interactively create and browse visualizations of database tables.
> DataSplash was developed by members of the Tioga Project at the University
> of California at Berkeley. DataSplash software is available on Alpha/OSF,
> HP/UX, Intel/Linux, and Sparc /Solaris platforms. We are porting to other
> UNIX platforms as well."
>
>     The "Quick Tour" looks really cool, but I'm not sure how tied into
> the whole backend/tioga directory this whole thing is.  My first feel is
> that 'tioga datasplash' is a userland application, but someone else might
> be able to make a better determination?
>
>     Check out this, which explains what 'Splashes' are ... it almost
> gives me the feel of Visual Statistical Modeling ... ?
>
>     http://datasplash.cs.berkeley.edu/splashes.html
>
>     If it isn't breaking anything, please leave it in there, as I'd
> like to look into this a bit further ...

Pennsylvania19026

Re: TIOGA

Дата:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > Does anyone know what backend/tioga is for?  It's not Spanish for TOAST,
> > > is it? :-)  It looks like it wasn't compilable for quite a while.
> >
> > It was some db visualization tool.  There is a web page about it
> > somewhere at Berkeley.  I say remove the directory.  It is junk now.
>
> that is a bit rash considering that you tend to imply that you don't even

I was born with a rash..., oh you meant something else.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: TIOGA

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Considering no one has used it in 4 years that I remember, my guess is
> that it is an abandonded Berkeley project.

If it does not break anything in our build process, please let it in there
while I do further research on what it is ... I personally think what I've
seen on the web site so far is interesting and bears further investigation
before we just yank it out ...

> > > It was some db visualization tool.  There is a web page about it
> > > somewhere at Berkeley.  I say remove the directory.  It is junk now.
> >
> > that is a bit rash considering that you tend to imply that you don't even
> > know what it is?
> >
> > Peter, according to google, the  primary Berkeley site that comes up is:
> >
> >     http://datasplash.cs.berkeley.edu/
> >
> > "DataSplash combines a sophisticated navigation model with a paint program
> > interface with which users can create custom visualizations. A beta
> > version of the software is now available."
> >
> >     And, from the overview:
> >
> > "Tioga DataSplash (formerly known as Tioga-2) allows users to
> > interactively create and browse visualizations of database tables.
> > DataSplash was developed by members of the Tioga Project at the University
> > of California at Berkeley. DataSplash software is available on Alpha/OSF,
> > HP/UX, Intel/Linux, and Sparc /Solaris platforms. We are porting to other
> > UNIX platforms as well."
> >
> >     The "Quick Tour" looks really cool, but I'm not sure how tied into
> > the whole backend/tioga directory this whole thing is.  My first feel is
> > that 'tioga datasplash' is a userland application, but someone else might
> > be able to make a better determination?
> >
> >     Check out this, which explains what 'Splashes' are ... it almost
> > gives me the feel of Visual Statistical Modeling ... ?
> >
> >     http://datasplash.cs.berkeley.edu/splashes.html
> >
> >     If it isn't breaking anything, please leave it in there, as I'd
> > like to look into this a bit further ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: TIOGA

Дата:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Considering no one has used it in 4 years that I remember, my guess is
> > that it is an abandonded Berkeley project.
>
> If it does not break anything in our build process, please let it in there
> while I do further research on what it is ... I personally think what I've
> seen on the web site so far is interesting and bears further investigation
> before we just yank it out ...

Agreed.  It looked quite nifty.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: TIOGA

От
"Matthew N. Dodd"
Дата:
On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Considering no one has used it in 4 years that I remember, my guess is
> that it is an abandonded Berkeley project.

It appeard to work the last time I tried it (2 years ago or so.)

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |

Re: TIOGA

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 02:40:47PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > Considering no one has used it in 4 years that I remember, my guess is
> > > that it is an abandonded Berkeley project.
> >
> > If it does not break anything in our build process, please let it in there
> > while I do further research on what it is ... I personally think what I've
> > seen on the web site so far is interesting and bears further investigation
> > before we just yank it out ...
>
> Agreed.  It looked quite nifty.

White papers refering to Tioga, stretching back to '92 (latest from '96)
can be found at:

http://s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:8000/postgres/papers/

Ross
--
Open source code is like a natural resource, it's the result of providing
food and sunshine to programmers, and then staying out of their way.