Обсуждение: OFFTOPIC: SQL book

OFFTOPIC: SQL book

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
I was asked for a good SQL book for beginners. Does anyone have a
recommendation. It's so long since I learned SQL that I simply do not know
anymore how I got started.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De

Re: OFFTOPIC: SQL book

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
The Practical SQL Handbook ...

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Michael Meskes wrote:

> I was asked for a good SQL book for beginners. Does anyone have a
> recommendation. It's so long since I learned SQL that I simply do not know
> anymore how I got started.
>
> Michael
> --
> Michael Meskes
> Michael@Fam-Meskes.De
> Go SF 49ers! Go Rhein Fire!
> Use Debian GNU/Linux! Use PostgreSQL!

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: OFFTOPIC: SQL book

От
Joe Brenner
Дата:
Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org> wrote:

> I was asked for a good SQL book for beginners. Does anyone have a
> recommendation. It's so long since I learned SQL that I simply do not know
> anymore how I got started.

Well, as a relative beginner, allow me to offer a suggestion
to stay away from the book I've been reading: "Understanging
The New SQL: A Complete Guide" by Melton and Simon.  This is
not the worst technical book I've read, but something seems
to be subtly *off* about it... it's a little too
repetitious, it jumps back and fourth just a little too
much.  I'm not sure what the problem is exactly, but I think
there's a hint in the way they insist pedantically that
"SQL" is not to be pronounced "sequel".

There's a bunch of material available on-line, of course:

This claims to be the only comprehensive on-line
introduction to SQL:
  http://w3.one.net/~jhoffman/sqltut.htm

An SQL on-line course, that evidentally allows you to play
with a database interactively to test out examples:
  http://sqlcourse.com/

And Philip Greenspun has one of the more entertaining
introductions:
  http://www.arsdigita.com/books/panda/databases-choosing

Re: OFFTOPIC: SQL book

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 12:33:10AM -0700, Joe Brenner wrote:
> There's a bunch of material available on-line, of course:

Thanks.

Michael