Обсуждение: History of PostgreSQL

History of PostgreSQL

Дата:
I have gotten some dates from the old Ingres and Postgres source code.
Interesting how old these are:
  PostgreSQL is the most advanced open-source database server.  It is  Object-Relational(ORDBMS), and is supported by a
teamof Internet  developers.  PostgreSQL began as Ingres, developed at the University  of California at
Berkeley(1977-1985). The Ingres code was  taken and  enhanced  by Ingres Corporation, which produced one of the first
commerciallysuccessful relational database servers.  (Ingres Corp.  was later purchased by Computer Associates.)  The
Ingrescode was  taken by Michael Stonebraker as part of a Berkeley project to develop  an object-relational database
servercalled Postgres(1986-1994).  The  Postgres code was taken by Illustra and developed into a commercial  product.
(Illustrawas later purchased by Informix and integrated  into Informix's Universal Server.)  Several graduate students
added SQL capabilities to Postgres, and called it Postgres95(1995).  The  graduate students left Berkeley, but the code
wasmaintained by one of  the graduate students, Jolly Chen, and had an active mailing list.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] History of PostgreSQL

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have gotten some dates from the old Ingres and Postgres source code.
> Interesting how old these are:
>
>    PostgreSQL is the most advanced open-source database server.  It is
>    Object-Relational(ORDBMS), and is supported by a team of Internet
>    developers.  PostgreSQL began as Ingres, developed at the University
>    of California at Berkeley(1977-1985).  The Ingres code was  taken and
>    enhanced  by Ingres Corporation, which produced one of the first
>    commercially successful relational database servers.  (Ingres Corp.
>    was later purchased by Computer Associates.)  The Ingres code was
>    taken by Michael Stonebraker as part of a Berkeley project to develop
>    an object-relational database server called Postgres(1986-1994).  The
>    Postgres code was taken by Illustra and developed into a commercial
>    product.  (Illustra was later purchased by Informix and integrated
>    into Informix's Universal Server.)  Several graduate students added
>    SQL capabilities to Postgres, and called it Postgres95(1995).  The
>    graduate students left Berkeley, but the code was maintained by one of
>    the graduate students, Jolly Chen, and had an active mailing list.

http://www-are.berkeley.edu:80/mason/computing/help/manuals/postgres/c0102.htm
Postgres95
In 1994, Andrew Yu and Jolly Chen added a SQL language interpreter to Postgres, and the code was         ^^^^^^^^^
He should be mentioned as well...
subsequently released to the Web to find its own way in the world. Postgres95 was a public-domain,open source
descendantof this original Berkeley code.

You can find more about Ingres, Postgres and Postgres'95 at
http://search.berkeley.edu/.

BTW, what's the birthday of our project?
Andrew/Jolly stoped development ~ May 1996.
Mark, can you remember/find when you posted your historic
message to Postgres'95 mailing list?

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] History of PostgreSQL

Дата:
> http://www-are.berkeley.edu:80/mason/computing/help/manuals/postgres/c0102.htm
>
>  Postgres95
>
>  In 1994, Andrew Yu and Jolly Chen added a SQL language interpreter to Postgres, and the code was
>           ^^^^^^^^^
> He should be mentioned as well...
>
>  subsequently released to the Web to find its own way in the world. Postgres95 was a public-domain,
>  open source descendant of this original Berkeley code.

Gee, I didn't see that.  Thanks.  The new paragraph reads:

The Postgres code was taken by Illustra and  developed into a commercial
product.  (Illustra was later purchased by Informix and integrated into
Informix's  Universal Server.)  Two Berkeley graduate students, Jolly
Chen and Andrew Yu, added SQL capabilities to  Postgres, and called it
Postgres95(1994-1995).  They left Berkeley, but Jolly continued
maintaining Postgres95,  which had an active mailing list.

> You can find more about Ingres, Postgres and Postgres'95 at
> http://search.berkeley.edu/.

I used:
http://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU:8000/

Choose 'database systems'.  Also inside that tree is:
http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/source.html

Which mentions Postgres, Postgres95, and Mariposa, and Ingres.  I have
asked him to add us to the "Other Databases" page Paul maitians.

> BTW, what's the birthday of our project?
> Andrew/Jolly stoped development ~ May 1996.
> Mark, can you remember/find when you posted your historic
> message to Postgres'95 mailing list?

I may have that somewhere, though the start of development was at the
beginning of July, perhaps July 3rd.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] History of PostgreSQL

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Sun, 30 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > BTW, what's the birthday of our project?
> > Andrew/Jolly stoped development ~ May 1996.
> > Mark, can you remember/find when you posted your historic
> > message to Postgres'95 mailing list?
>
> I may have that somewhere, though the start of development was at the
> beginning of July, perhaps July 3rd.

The furthest back I have is sometime in '97 ... I didn't really start
gettign into saving my 'sent-mail' logs until then :(

The oldest files in CVS is:

287027    2 -r-xr-xr-x    1 scrappy          pgsql                 585 Sep
28  1994 /usr/local/cvsroot/CVSROOT/Attic/avail-actions,v

Geez, has it been almost 4years now??

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] History of PostgreSQL

От
"D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain
Дата:
Thus spake The Hermit Hacker
> The oldest files in CVS is:
>
> 287027  2 -r-xr-xr-x  1 scrappy   pgsql  585 Sep 28 1994 ...
>
> Geez, has it been almost 4years now??

Er, can someone check any math related work that Scrappy has done?  :-)

Re: [HACKERS] History of PostgreSQL

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > > BTW, what's the birthday of our project?
> > > Andrew/Jolly stoped development ~ May 1996.
> > > Mark, can you remember/find when you posted your historic
> > > message to Postgres'95 mailing list?
> >
> > I may have that somewhere, though the start of development was at the
> > beginning of July, perhaps July 3rd.
>
> The furthest back I have is sometime in '97 ... I didn't really start
> gettign into saving my 'sent-mail' logs until then :(
>
> The oldest files in CVS is:
>
> 287027    2 -r-xr-xr-x    1 scrappy          pgsql                 585 Sep
> 28  1994 /usr/local/cvsroot/CVSROOT/Attic/avail-actions,v
>
> Geez, has it been almost 4years now??

No, your message was posted in June 1996 -:)

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] History of PostgreSQL

Дата:
> > The furthest back I have is sometime in '97 ... I didn't really start
> > gettign into saving my 'sent-mail' logs until then :(
> >
> > The oldest files in CVS is:
> >
> > 287027    2 -r-xr-xr-x    1 scrappy          pgsql                 585 Sep
> > 28  1994 /usr/local/cvsroot/CVSROOT/Attic/avail-actions,v
> >
> > Geez, has it been almost 4years now??
>
> No, your message was posted in June 1996 -:)
>
> Vadim

I had kept it, but somehow deleted it when going through the old
postgres95 mailing list archives.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] History of PostgreSQL

Дата:
> Thus spake The Hermit Hacker
> > The oldest files in CVS is:
> >
> > 287027  2 -r-xr-xr-x  1 scrappy   pgsql  585 Sep 28 1994 ...
> >
> > Geez, has it been almost 4years now??
>
> Er, can someone check any math related work that Scrappy has done?  :-)

System time must have been messed up that day.  CVS started July 1996.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] History of PostgreSQL

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Sun, 30 May 1999, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> Thus spake The Hermit Hacker
> > The oldest files in CVS is:
> >
> > 287027  2 -r-xr-xr-x  1 scrappy   pgsql  585 Sep 28 1994 ...
> >
> > Geez, has it been almost 4years now??
>
> Er, can someone check any math related work that Scrappy has done?  :-)

Sorry, was going by a previous file that I had found, which was Oct '95
... will go back to sleep now...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] History of PostgreSQL

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Sun, 30 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Thus spake The Hermit Hacker
> > > The oldest files in CVS is:
> > >
> > > 287027  2 -r-xr-xr-x  1 scrappy   pgsql  585 Sep 28 1994 ...
> > >
> > > Geez, has it been almost 4years now??
> >
> > Er, can someone check any math related work that Scrappy has done?  :-)
>
> System time must have been messed up that day.  CVS started July 1996.

Ah, good, I was getting worried that I'd blocked out more of my past 10
years then I thought :)  I couldn't account for the '94->96 time
frame...:)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] History of PostgreSQL

Дата:
I am still getting feedback from people on the hackers list, so I will
wait a few more days to send it to Daemon News.

On the issue of "Bazaar vs. PostgreSQL", judging from the discussion we
have had, I think that may be a good topic for a separate followup
article.

Pennsylvania19026