Обсуждение: last entry per person

last entry per person

От
garry
Дата:
I have a table which holds a user name and their results in exams. There
can be multiple entries per user. I am trying to return the last entry
for each user. I can get the last entry in the table using the order
by/limit method but how would this be applied per user. My table
definition is like the following:

> gradeid serial primary key,
> user text,
> grade char(1),
> entered timestamp,
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Garry

Вложения

Re: last entry per person

От
Chris Travers

I have a table which holds a user name and their results in exams. There can be multiple entries per user. I am trying to return the last entry for each user. I can get the last entry in the table using the order by/limit method but how would this be applied per user. My table definition is like the following:

gradeid serial primary key,
user text,
grade char(1),
entered timestamp,
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards

What about a combination of a common table expression and a windowing function?  You ought to be able to order by your criteria and then pull where the rowcount in the window is 1.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Garry

Re: last entry per person

От
Andreas Kretschmer
Дата:
garry <garry@scholarpack.com> wrote:

> I have a table which holds a user name and their results in exams. There
> can be multiple entries per user. I am trying to return the last entry
> for each user. I can get the last entry in the table using the order
> by/limit method but how would this be applied per user. My table
> definition is like the following:
>
>> gradeid serial primary key,
>> user text,
>> grade char(1),
>> entered timestamp,
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Regards
> Garry

What about "select user, max(entered) from table group by user" ?

Btw.: user is a reserved word, don't use it as column-name.

Andreas

Re: last entry per person

От
Philip Couling
Дата:
I have a table which holds a user name and their results in exams. There can be multiple entries per user. I am trying to return the last entry for each user. I can get the last entry in the table using the order by/limit method but how would this be applied per user. My table definition is like the following:

gradeid serial primary key,
user text,
grade char(1),
entered timestamp,
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards

What about a combination of a common table expression and a windowing function?  You ought to be able to order by your criteria and then pull where the rowcount in the window is 1.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Garry

There is no simple solution like there is for the last row in the table.
Window functions are one option, sub queries are another:

SELECT *
  FROM results,
           ( SELECT student_id,
                    max(result_date) result_date
               FROM results
           GROUP BY student_id
           ) as latest
 WHERE results.student_id = latest.student_id
   AND results.result_date = latest.result_date

Note that for this to work correctly, result_date will need to be unique.

Regards

Re: last entry per person

От
garry
Дата:
I have a table which holds a user name and their results in exams. There can be multiple entries per user. I am trying to return the last entry for each user. I can get the last entry in the table using the order by/limit method but how would this be applied per user. My table definition is like the following:

gradeid serial primary key,
user text,
grade char(1),
entered timestamp,
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards

What about a combination of a common table expression and a windowing function?  You ought to be able to order by your criteria and then pull where the rowcount in the window is 1.

Unfortunately I am using a version of postgres without the windowing functions, but that would have done the job.
Regards
Garry
Вложения

Re: last entry per person

От
Jasen Betts
Дата:
On 2012-02-03, garry <garry@scholarpack.com> wrote:
> --------------060709070909070009090305
>
> I have a table which holds a user name and their results in exams. There
> can be multiple entries per user. I am trying to return the last entry
> for each user. I can get the last entry in the table using the order
> by/limit method but how would this be applied per user. My table
> definition is like the following:
>
>> gradeid serial primary key,
>> user text,
>> grade char(1),
>> entered timestamp,

select distinct on (user) * from EXAMS order by entered desc;

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural