Обсуждение: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Joe Miller
Дата:
You may have seen this, but RedGate software is sponsoring a contest
to send a DBA on a suborbital space flight.

And there is a PostgreSQL representative....me!

https://www.dbainspace.com/finalists/joe-miller

Voting is open for 7 days. Don't let one of those Oracle or SQL Server
punks win :p

Joe

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Joe Miller <joe.d.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
> You may have seen this, but RedGate software is sponsoring a contest
> to send a DBA on a suborbital space flight.
>
> And there is a PostgreSQL representative....me!
>
> https://www.dbainspace.com/finalists/joe-miller
>
> Voting is open for 7 days. Don't let one of those Oracle or SQL Server
> punks win :p

so jealous -- I didn't make the cut.  Well, you'll have my vote.

merlin

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Torello Querci
Дата:
2011/12/6 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Joe Miller <joe.d.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You may have seen this, but RedGate software is sponsoring a contest
>> to send a DBA on a suborbital space flight.
>>
>> And there is a PostgreSQL representative....me!
>>
>> https://www.dbainspace.com/finalists/joe-miller
>>
>> Voting is open for 7 days. Don't let one of those Oracle or SQL Server
>> punks win :p
>
> so jealous -- I didn't make the cut.  Well, you'll have my vote.

me too :)

> merlin

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Bèrto ëd Sèra
Дата:
+1 say hello to Laika, if she's still there :)

Bèrto

On 6 December 2011 20:33, Torello Querci <tquerci@gmail.com> wrote:
2011/12/6 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Joe Miller <joe.d.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You may have seen this, but RedGate software is sponsoring a contest
>> to send a DBA on a suborbital space flight.
>>
>> And there is a PostgreSQL representative....me!
>>
>> https://www.dbainspace.com/finalists/joe-miller
>>
>> Voting is open for 7 days. Don't let one of those Oracle or SQL Server
>> punks win :p
>
> so jealous -- I didn't make the cut.  Well, you'll have my vote.

me too :)

> merlin

==============================
If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Glyn Astill
>> You may have seen this, but RedGate software is sponsoring a contest
>> to send a DBA on a suborbital space flight.
>>
>> And there is a PostgreSQL representative....me!
>>
>> https://www.dbainspace.com/finalists/joe-miller
>>
>> Voting is open for 7 days. Don't let one of those Oracle or SQL Server
>> punks win :p
>
>so jealous -- I didn't make the cut.  Well, you'll have my vote.
>
>merlin

Me neither, voted. Good luck.

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Rob Sargent

On 12/06/2011 01:56 PM, Glyn Astill wrote:
> ______________________________

Tried to vote, but never got the mail to confirm my vote?

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/06/2011 01:56 PM, Glyn Astill wrote:
>> ______________________________

Check to see if it got caught by your spam filter.

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Joe Miller
Дата:
I've had a couple people mention that they hadn't received it, but
most people seem to be getting it no problem.  I'll mention it to
RedGate.

Thanks!

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 12/06/2011 01:56 PM, Glyn Astill wrote:
>>> ______________________________

Larry Rosenman
Дата:

On 12/06/2011 02:31 PM, Joe Miller wrote:
> I've had a couple people mention that they hadn't received it, but
> most people seem to be getting it no problem.  I'll mention it to
> RedGate.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:

Esmin Gracić
Дата:
voted. good luck!

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
lol!

Στις Tuesday 06 December 2011 20:02:40 ο/η Bèrto ëd Sèra έγραψε:
> +1 say hello to Laika, if she's still there :)
>
> Bèrto
>
> On 6 December 2011 20:33, Torello Querci <tquerci@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2011/12/6 Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>:

> > > so jealous -- I didn't make the cut.  Well, you'll have my vote.
> > >

> > me too :)
> >

> > > merlin
> > >
> > > --

Achilleas Mantzios

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Mark Morgan Lloyd
Дата:
Rob Sargent wrote:
> On 12/06/2011 01:56 PM, Glyn Astill wrote:
>> ______________________________

Message comes with header "Confirm your vote", so a firewall that is
over-zealous catching "confirm your account" type emails will can it.

I suspect that we're supposed to do this every day- I'm sure that
Certain Corporates will have no compunction at using multiple votes.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Cédric Villemain
Дата:
Le 12 décembre 2011 14:25, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.pgsql-general@telemetry.co.uk> a écrit :
> Rob Sargent wrote:
>>
>> On 12/06/2011 01:56 PM, Glyn Astill wrote:
>>>
>>> ______________________________

Correct
«Thanks for your vote. You can vote for your favorite DBA every day to
boost their chances of traveling beyond the blue and into space»

> --
> Mark Morgan Lloyd
> markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk
>
> [Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or colleagues]

Cédric Villemain +33 (0)6 20 30 22 52
http://2ndQuadrant.fr/

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Joe Miller
Дата:
Thanks for the support guys, if nothing else, this week has been memorable. :)

It seems I lied on my entry--my little brother didn't have my old
capsule models. They were actually still back in my childhood bedroom:
http://twitpic.com/7sc0jv The covered in dust thing was still correct
though :)

Note to self: buy Mom new camera.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Cédric Villemain
<cedric.villemain.debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 12 décembre 2011 14:25, Mark Morgan Lloyd
> <markMLl.pgsql-general@telemetry.co.uk> a écrit :
>> Rob Sargent wrote:

Дата:
On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Joe Miller <joe.d.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
> You may have seen this, but RedGate software is sponsoring a contest
> to send a DBA on a suborbital space flight.
>
> And there is a PostgreSQL representative....me!
>
> https://www.dbainspace.com/finalists/joe-miller
>
> Voting is open for 7 days. Don't let one of those Oracle or SQL Server
> punks win :p

guess who won! :-D

merlin

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On 20 December 2011 16:01, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Joe Miller <joe.d.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
> guess who won! :-D

Ah cool. I'll wave when I get outside :)

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Joe Miller
Дата:
Thanks so much to everybody who voted. I really can't express my gratitude.

I'd love to head to the pub and buy everybody a drink, but I think
that might cost more than the flight.

Joe

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 December 2011 16:01, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Joe Miller <joe.d.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
>> guess who won! :-D
>
> Ah cool. I'll wave when I get outside :)
>
> --
> If you can't see the forest for the trees,
> Cut the trees and you'll see there is no forest.

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Gavin Flower
Дата:
On 21/12/11 04:07, Joe Miller wrote:
> Thanks so much to everybody who voted. I really can't express my gratitude.
>
> I'd love to head to the pub and buy everybody a drink, but I think
> that might cost more than the flight.
>

> Joe
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Alban Hertroys<haramrae@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 20 December 2011 16:01, Merlin Moncure<mmoncure@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Joe Miller<joe.d.miller@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> guess who won! :-D
>> Ah cool. I'll wave when I get outside :)
>>
>> --
>> If you can't see the forest for the trees,
>> Cut the trees and you'll see there is no forest.
What they didn't tell you, is that they needed a cheap expendable DBA
for a dangerous top secret mission...

... gotta sign off, men in black suites are spilling from vans heading
my way

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Vincent Veyron
Дата:
Le vendredi 23 décembre 2011 à 13:14 +1300, Gavin Flower a écrit :

> ... gotta sign off, men in black suites are spilling from vans heading
> my way

Haha! that gave me a laugh...

I voted for Joe, and I'm amazed he won; I did not think he stood a
chance, considering the web site had SQL Server logos all over the
place.

Maybe you're right, it must be trap (just kidding, Joe).

--
Vincent Veyron
http://marica.fr/

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On 24 Dec 2011, at 18:03, Vincent Veyron wrote:

> Maybe you're right, it must be trap (just kidding, Joe).

Perhaps those SQL server and Oracle DBA's were considered to be too expensive to put in such a volatile contraption and
theyopted for the free dude instead.

But yeah, I'm surprised he/we won too. I consider it a compliment :)

Alban Hertroys

Re: PostgreSQL DBA in SPAAAAAAAACE

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 Dec 2011, at 18:03, Vincent Veyron wrote:
>
>> Maybe you're right, it must be trap (just kidding, Joe).
>

> Perhaps those SQL server and Oracle DBA's were considered to be too expensive to put in such a volatile contraption
andthey opted for the free dude instead.

> But yeah, I'm surprised he/we won too. I consider it a compliment :)

It's a practical issue.  They were afraid an Oracle or SQL Server DBA
would immediately start twiddling all the knobs and buttons to make it
work better.   the pgsql guy will just sit back and watch until he's
needed.