Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 8.2.3

PostgreSQL 8.2.3

От
Jason
Дата:
Hi - I'm trying to find where I can download PostgreSQL 8.2.3.

I've looked on the PostgreSQL website but I do not see version 8.2.3
specifically.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 10/11/2010 16:31, Jason wrote:

> Hi - I'm trying to find where I can download PostgreSQL 8.2.3.
>
> I've looked on the PostgreSQL website but I do not see version 8.2.3
> specifically.

I'm sure you're going to get a tonne of replies pointing out that you
should use 8.2.18, which is 15 releases' worth of bug fixes and security
patches.

:-)

Seriously though, why do you want that specific version?

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 11/10/10 8:31 AM, Jason wrote:
> Hi - I'm trying to find where I can download PostgreSQL 8.2.3.
>
> I've looked on the PostgreSQL website but I do not see version 8.2.3
> specifically.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

thats a rather old (feb 2007) and fairly buggy release.   8.2.18 is the
current 8.2 release, and should be fully compatible with an 8.2.3 /data/
directory, with the caveat that you should reindex after installing it.

Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3

От
Andreas Kretschmer
Дата:
Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:

> On 10/11/2010 16:31, Jason wrote:
>>
>> Hi - I'm trying to find where I can download PostgreSQL 8.2.3.
>>
>> I've looked on the PostgreSQL website but I do not see version 8.2.3
>> specifically.
>
> I'm sure you're going to get a tonne of replies pointing out that you
> should use 8.2.18, which is 15 releases' worth of bug fixes and security
> patches.

No, 9.0.1 ;-)

Andreas

Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3

От
Jason
Дата:
Thanks for the replies.

Yes - we're aware that there are newer versions of PostgreSQL out there.  If
it were completely up to us we would be using 8.2.18 or even 8.4.  The
problem is - we need to install on a network that has a rather involved
approval process for all software tools that are introduced.  8.2.3 was
previously approved.  Getting a newer version of PostgreSQL approved would
probably take time that we do not have given the time-critical nature of our
effort.

Is 8.2.3 still available anywhere on the PostgreSQL site?  I couldn't find
it.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 09:30:46AM -0800, Jason wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.
>
> Yes - we're aware that there are newer versions of PostgreSQL out there.  If
> it were completely up to us we would be using 8.2.18 or even 8.4.  The
> problem is - we need to install on a network that has a rather involved
> approval process for all software tools that are introduced.  8.2.3 was
> previously approved.  Getting a newer version of PostgreSQL approved would
> probably take time that we do not have given the time-critical nature of our
> effort.
>
> Is 8.2.3 still available anywhere on the PostgreSQL site?  I couldn't find
> it.

No, and for good reason.

That your organization's process is onerous and silly does not by any
means imply that the PostgreSQL project needs to take any steps to
accommodate itself to that process.

What you need to do is start that process and work to make it shorter
for PostgreSQL upgrades, or failing that, find something to do with
your life, because processes like that are a bright red warning sign
of the kind of dysfunction that tanks organizations, no matter how big
or important they are.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 10/11/2010 17:30, Jason wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.
>
> Yes - we're aware that there are newer versions of PostgreSQL out there.  If
> it were completely up to us we would be using 8.2.18 or even 8.4.  The
> problem is - we need to install on a network that has a rather involved
> approval process for all software tools that are introduced.  8.2.3 was
> previously approved.  Getting a newer version of PostgreSQL approved would
> probably take time that we do not have given the time-critical nature of our
> effort.
>
> Is 8.2.3 still available anywhere on the PostgreSQL site?  I couldn't find
> it.

I had a quick look at http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/, and
according to the README in the OLD directory, anything older in the 8.2
line than 8.2.16 is held at ftp://ftp-archives.postgresql.org; but that
server isn't responding.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 11/10/10 9:30 AM, Jason wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> Yes - we're aware that there are newer versions of PostgreSQL out there.  If
> it were completely up to us we would be using 8.2.18 or even 8.4.  The
> problem is - we need to install on a network that has a rather involved
> approval process for all software tools that are introduced.  8.2.3 was
> previously approved.  Getting a newer version of PostgreSQL approved would
> probably take time that we do not have given the time-critical nature of our
> effort.

wow, thats pretty messed up.    so you're exposed to 3+ years of
security exposures and data corruption bugs, and can't install
sub-version updates without going through a major approval process?

> Is 8.2.3 still available anywhere on the PostgreSQL site?  I couldn't find
> it.

it appears the ftp-archive site is down.

was that approval for a specific binary distribution? or just a blanket
approval for anything you compile from the 8.2.3 sources?

Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3

От
Peter Geoghegan
Дата:
On 10 November 2010 17:30, Jason <jason.friess@lmco.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.
>
> Yes - we're aware that there are newer versions of PostgreSQL out there.  If
> it were completely up to us we would be using 8.2.18 or even 8.4.  The
> problem is - we need to install on a network that has a rather involved
> approval process for all software tools that are introduced.  8.2.3 was
> previously approved.  Getting a newer version of PostgreSQL approved would
> probably take time that we do not have given the time-critical nature of our
> effort.

It's pretty obvious to all of us that what you're doing is far riskier
than just upgrading to 8.2.18, and makes absolutely no sense. There
are no behavioural differences between 8.2.3 and 8.2.18. We are
*extremely* conservative and disciplined about release management, so
that users don''t have to worry about this stuff.

Peter Geoghegan

Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3

Дата:
Jason <jason.friess@lmco.com> writes:
> Yes - we're aware that there are newer versions of PostgreSQL out there.  If
> it were completely up to us we would be using 8.2.18 or even 8.4.  The
> problem is - we need to install on a network that has a rather involved
> approval process for all software tools that are introduced.  8.2.3 was
> previously approved.  Getting a newer version of PostgreSQL approved would
> probably take time that we do not have given the time-critical nature of our
> effort.

You really need to get that approval process fixed.  Ammunition for an
update can be found here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release.html
Even if you think you're immune to all the various security issues that
have been fixed since 8.2.3, there are mainstream-case data corruption
issues fixed in (at least) 8.2.5 and 8.2.10 that *will*, sooner or
later, bite you on the rear.  Refusing to accept bugfix updates is not a
path to improved reliability.

> Is 8.2.3 still available anywhere on the PostgreSQL site?  I couldn't find
> it.

Ancient source tarballs here:
ftp://ftp-archives.postgresql.org
(although that seems to be refusing connections right now, I'll bug
Marc about it) or you could check out the appropriate tag from our
git repository.

I don't think we keep old binary versions around anywhere.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On 10 Nov 2010, at 18:30, Jason wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.
>
> Yes - we're aware that there are newer versions of PostgreSQL out there.  If
> it were completely up to us we would be using 8.2.18 or even 8.4.  The
> problem is - we need to install on a network that has a rather involved
> approval process for all software tools that are introduced.  8.2.3 was
> previously approved.  Getting a newer version of PostgreSQL approved would
> probably take time that we do not have given the time-critical nature of our
> effort.

What happens if for some other piece of approved software a patch comes out? Do you need to approve the patched version
ofthe software again or is it okay to apply it?

I think you may have made an error by getting specifically PG 8.2.3 approved. I think you should have tried to get 8.2
(withoutthe minor version number) approved instead.
Also, now is probably a good time to start with getting 8.4 or even 9.0 approved, so that you can upgrade in the not
toodistant future.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4cdae95810261036690396!

Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 09:30 -0800, Jason wrote:

> Is 8.2.3 still available anywhere on the PostgreSQL site?  I couldn't
> find it.

Please check ftp-archives.postgresql.org
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org

Re: PostgreSQL 8.2.3

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 11/10/10 6:08 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 09:30 -0800, Jason wrote:
>> Is 8.2.3 still available anywhere on the PostgreSQL site?  I couldn't
>> find it.
> Please check ftp-archives.postgresql.org

ah, its back up now

ftp://ftp-archives.postgresql.org/pub/source/v8.2.3/