Обсуждение: What was new in 8.4 & 8.3?

What was new in 8.4 & 8.3?

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
The what's new in 9.0 document on the wiki is great. Is there anything similar for 8.4 & 8.3 & so on?

I haven't had time to take advantage of all new features for a while. (Always read the release notes, just couldn't do
muchabout them.) And now I'm looking at it being a good time to really update my dbs...

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

Re: What was new in 8.4 & 8.3?

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 09/22/10 4:28 PM, Scott Ribe wrote:
> The what's new in 9.0 document on the wiki is great. Is there anything similar for 8.4&  8.3&  so on?
>
> I haven't had time to take advantage of all new features for a while. (Always read the release notes, just couldn't
domuch about them.) And now I'm looking at it being a good time to really update my dbs...

the release notes of the x.y.0 releases have a whats new section.

Re: What was new in 8.4 & 8.3?

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 23/09/2010 01:28, Scott Ribe a écrit :
> The what's new in 9.0 document on the wiki is great. Is there anything similar for 8.4 & 8.3 & so on?

Nope, that's the first time we have this. Marc Cousin already did this
in french for the 8.4 release. Unfortunately, it's only available in
french. For those reading french, it's available here:

http://blog.postgresql.fr/index.php?post/2009/04/28/Nouveaut%C3%A9s-PostgreSQL-8.4

> I haven't had time to take advantage of all new features for a while. (Always read the release notes, just couldn't
domuch about them.) And now I'm looking at it being a good time to really update my dbs...

You can probably find some technical articles in some IT magazines. I
wrote some in France since the 8.3 release, I suppose you can find the
same in an english magazine.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: What was new in 8.4 & 8.3?

От
Vick Khera
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Nope, that's the first time we have this. Marc Cousin already did this
> in french for the 8.4 release. Unfortunately, it's only available in
> french. For those reading french, it's available here:
>

> http://blog.postgresql.fr/index.php?post/2009/04/28/Nouveaut%C3%A9s-PostgreSQL-8.4

Google translate does a useful job with that document.  Very informative.

Re: What was new in 8.4 & 8.3?

От
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Дата:
or even better, learn English properly and contribute your translation.
I'm not whining that there's no Polish translation.

French people are somewhat specific in that matter, don't get me
started on aviation .... (cos it drives me insane).

Re: What was new in 8.4 & 8.3?

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 23/09/2010 14:42, Vick Khera a écrit :
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Nope, that's the first time we have this. Marc Cousin already did this
>> in french for the 8.4 release. Unfortunately, it's only available in
>> french. For those reading french, it's available here:
>>

>> http://blog.postgresql.fr/index.php?post/2009/04/28/Nouveaut%C3%A9s-PostgreSQL-8.4
>>

> Google translate does a useful job with that document.  Very informative.

If Google translate is good enough, you can also take a look at this one:

  http://www.dalibo.org/hs44_postgresql_8.4

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: What was new in 8.4 & 8.3?

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 23/09/2010 13:55, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:
> or even better, learn English properly and contribute your translation.
> I'm not whining that there's no Polish translation.
>
> French people are somewhat specific in that matter, don't get me
> started on aviation .... (cos it drives me insane).

:-) I do a bit of flying, and though I haven't flown in France I've
heard stories... in fairness, I gather that ATC is generally willing
enough to switch to English when required.

But we're getting a bit off-topic here.... :-)

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: What was new in 8.4 & 8.3?

От
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Дата:
2010/9/23 Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie>:
> On 23/09/2010 13:55, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:
>>
>> or even better, learn English properly and contribute your translation.
>> I'm not whining that there's no Polish translation.
>>
>> French people are somewhat specific in that matter, don't get me
>> started on aviation .... (cos it drives me insane).
>
> :-) I do a bit of flying, and though I haven't flown in France I've heard
> stories... in fairness, I gather that ATC is generally willing enough to
> switch to English when required.
>
> But we're getting a bit off-topic here.... :-)

ATC is fine, it is the other frenchman that are not. They don't use
english to respond, when you hear english on radio. So if you want to
fly there from the UK, you better learn some french (or skip the damn
nation's airspace altogether).

yes, offtopics ;)

--
GJ

Re: What was new in 8.4 & 8.3?

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
Actually, I found the feature matrix on the wiki, which serves my purpose pretty well--reminder of major new features
thatI might not have adopted...

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com

Re: What was new in 8.4 & 8.3?

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Scott Ribe wrote:
> The what's new in 9.0 document on the wiki is great. Is there anything similar for 8.4 & 8.3 & so on?

I keep my list of links to interesting articles on the features in each
version here:  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Version_History

Haven't updated that yet to include anything but the one big 9.0 article
you were referring to so far.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg@2ndQuadrant.com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us

Re: What was new in 8.4 & 8.3?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 10:14:26AM -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> Scott Ribe wrote:
> >The what's new in 9.0 document on the wiki is great. Is there
> >anything similar for 8.4 & 8.3 & so on?
>
> I keep my list of links to interesting articles on the features in
> each version here:  http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Version_History
>
> Haven't updated that yet to include anything but the one big 9.0
> article you were referring to so far.

Should we have a 9.1 one?  There's already been at least one large,
new feature, namely INSTEAD OF triggers.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: What was new in 8.4 & 8.3?

От
Scott Ribe
Дата:
On Oct 11, 2010, at 4:35 PM, David Fetter wrote:

> Should we have a 9.1 one?  There's already been at least one large,
> new feature, namely INSTEAD OF triggers.

I think so. From my point of view, not needed until the release, or at least the feature set is frozen for sure. For
peoplewith a high enough level of interest to track things earlier, there are already sources. I'm thinking of a page
tosupport those who do not follow dev, and periodically decide they now have time to start using new features...

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com