Обсуждение: Unable to stop postgresql ("failed") -> [SOLVED]

Unable to stop postgresql ("failed") -> [SOLVED]

От
Denis BUCHER
Дата:
Dear all,

For once, I will simply publish a solution instead of asking a question.
Let's hope it will be useful to someone.

I was unable to stop postgres, I always got "[FAILED] :
  * /etc/init.d/postgresql stop
  * service postgresql stop
  * /sbin/service postgresql stop

The only solution that worked in that case was :
  *  /usr/bin/pg_ctl stop

Have a nice day !

Denis

Re: Unable to stop postgresql ("failed") -> [SOLVED]

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 6 August 2010 17:49, Denis BUCHER <dbucherml@hsolutions.ch> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> For once, I will simply publish a solution instead of asking a question.
> Let's hope it will be useful to someone.
>
> I was unable to stop postgres, I always got "[FAILED] :
>  * /etc/init.d/postgresql stop
>  * service postgresql stop
>  * /sbin/service postgresql stop
>
> The only solution that worked in that case was :
>  *  /usr/bin/pg_ctl stop
>
> Have a nice day !
>
> Denis

Surely it depends what the packager put into the init.d script?  Plus
there's the "zap" option for some setups if you're desperate, although
I don't know if that issues a SIGINT or a SIGQUIT.  Hopefully the
former.  But really your init.d script should be issuing that pg_ctl
stop command anyway, so don't know why you're getting failed messages.

--
Thom Brown
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Unable to stop postgresql ("failed") -> [SOLVED]

Дата:
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> On 6 August 2010 17:49, Denis BUCHER <dbucherml@hsolutions.ch> wrote:
>> I was unable to stop postgres, I always got "[FAILED] :
>> �* /etc/init.d/postgresql stop
>> �* service postgresql stop
>> �* /sbin/service postgresql stop

> Surely it depends what the packager put into the init.d script?  Plus
> there's the "zap" option for some setups if you're desperate, although
> I don't know if that issues a SIGINT or a SIGQUIT.  Hopefully the
> former.  But really your init.d script should be issuing that pg_ctl
> stop command anyway, so don't know why you're getting failed messages.

I'm wondering about permissions problems.  initscripts normally only
work when called by root.  Being able to call pg_ctl directly suggests
he was logged in as the postgres user.

            regards, tom lane