Обсуждение: Help with pgAndroid Contest

Help with pgAndroid Contest

От
Stephen Denne
Дата:
Not having an Android phone, I've got no idea whether what I've
produced for my entry to this contest works...

I'd appreciate it if anybody with an Android phone could try out my
pgQuilt application, and let me know whether it even runs!

Screenshot: http://www.datacute.co.nz/pgQuilt.png
Application: http://www.datacute.co.nz/pgQuilt.apk

Cheers,
Stephen Denne.

Re: Help with pgAndroid Contest

От
Josh Kupershmidt
Дата:
I tried it on my T-Mobile G1, stock 1.6 Android firmware. It downloaded and installed fine, but right after
installation,I clicked to open and got an error box saying "... has encountered an unexpected error and closed".

But pgQuilt did install successfully, and when I go to my menu of applications and open from there it seems to run
fine.I tried connecting to an 8.4.4 server, and got the expected quilt of database size breakdown.

Gripes/suggestions:
 * my "Menu" button doesn't do anything from within the application. I have to actually tap on the hammer-and-wrench
iconin the top right to bring up the "Demo | Connection String" options.
 * I'm not crazy about editing the JDBC connection string, especially on a puny phone keyboard. I think it'd be easier
toenter hostname, database, user, and password in separate fields.

Interesting little idea, though, and seems reasonably well put-together.

Josh

On Jul 1, 2010, at 7:39 PM, Stephen Denne wrote:

> Not having an Android phone, I've got no idea whether what I've
> produced for my entry to this contest works...
>
> I'd appreciate it if anybody with an Android phone could try out my
> pgQuilt application, and let me know whether it even runs!
>
> Screenshot: http://www.datacute.co.nz/pgQuilt.png
> Application: http://www.datacute.co.nz/pgQuilt.apk
>
> Cheers,
> Stephen Denne.

Re: Help with pgAndroid Contest

От
Stephen Denne
Дата:
Many thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the problem after
installing. My first suspicion is that it is due to not having had
preferences set.

I agree about jdbc settings, I was rushing to get it out for some
testing. Likewise the menu, though that is also due to developing
using the emulator, where a mouse acts like a very small, precise
finger.

I hope to add options (after the contest) to:
1 - change what gets shown for the area weighting, and/or categories,
(rows, correlation, usage stats, bloat)
2 - filter the schema/table hierarchy,
3 - have a user, connection, usage hierarchy,
4 - weightings or categories based on delta between refresh

Thanks again,
Stephen